PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice on starting CM...SCOTLAND

davidomz
31-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone,
A good friend of mine is a member here and suggested I post a message with my enquiry regarding registering to be a childminder.

I am a SAHM with 3 children aged 7, 5 and 2. With 2 now in school I feel lost being home with just myself and my youngest and thoroughly enjoy having kids around me, I love the noise and seeing them develop.

I am questioning whether registering to be a childminder would be beneficial to me. My house is def big enough and safe (I take no risks with my own kids) I have large secure back garden. 7 seater car. No convictions or anything like that.

My main worry is that my previous mental health will go against me as I have a history of depression, anxiety & panic attacks- at the moment Im doing well and on no medication. I have arthralgia as well but use splints for my hands for support-in general I am mobile & healthy enough.
I also have a hearing problem and currently cannot tolerate my hearing aids but my 7yr old is being fitted with 2 aids so I know I have to start wearing mine so I dont imagine that this would be a problem.

I just wondered if it were worth me going for it due to MH issues, how long it takes, are there set-up costs involved and what kind of money do u make?
I am based in SW Scotland.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone can spare a moment to reply.

Many thanks in advance
Donna ;)

aly
31-08-2009, 04:53 PM
awww a good friend eh!!! :blush:

Hi Hunni, hope you get your answer soon

x

breezy
31-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi, I cant advise you on registering as it's so different in Scotland, but I'm sure one of our scottish ladies will be along to help.

As for your health, it shouldnt be a problem however you will need a doctor to confirm you are well enough to mind so it might be worth having a word with your gp.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

sarah707
31-08-2009, 06:07 PM
The Care Commission take each individual case on its merits much like Ofsted.

They will look at your medical history and might call you in for a meeting to discuss things if your doctor's check throws up any concerns.

The things your doctor tells them will have a bearing on your application and they may ask you to undergo a medical if there are health concerns.

Each area of Scotland has a Care Commission office from which you can get help and more information.

I suggest you find the relevant one on the map here -

http://www.carecommission.com/index.php?option=com_contxtd&task=blog&id=0&Itemid=171

... and give them a ring tomorrow. You won't know until you ask will you?

Welcome to the forum! :D

davidomz
02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
thanks for the advice ladies and the lovely welcome.
I will def make some enquiries and Ive found out a friend of my SIL is a reg childminder so going to speak to her too.

Donna
:thumbsup:

mrsgreen
03-09-2009, 12:41 PM
hi there, i had many problems with depression and worse, several years back. i declared it all on my health declaration (you will have to fill one of these in) but it hasnt been a problem.
on my ofsted inspection she did ask me about it and i was truthful, but as i havent had a problem for several years or currently taking medication she was fine.
i know it can be a worry if things come up from the past and bite you on the bum, but try not too. just be honest and i am sure they will be fine if thats what you really want to do.
xx

Blackhorse
03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
In regards to the health questions, I am not sure but previous answers I think already got that bit anyways..

As for the registration process and costs:
If you already have kids and all safety stuff is in place and you have a selection of toys arts and cratfs your registration costs wont be too high,

You need to pay the CC about 25 Pound (I think) to do the registration.
For medical my GP didnt charge.
Other than that you will need a mains powered battery backed up smoke alarm fitted in your house (both upstairs and downstairs) and if you choose to register bedrooms upstairs for sleeping they will need the smoke alarms too.
For me the cost was £250 to get them installed.
the induction course with SCMA is free but there is a membership on joining them if you choose to do so.
They also sell start up packs if you should need them. (they contained documents like childrens records, a fire blanket, a combined attendance + cash register..but you dont have to take theirs)

then you will need to spend around £50 on the first aid course unless it is funded in your area.

Then I had to get some more safety stuff (which I would have needed anyways for my own dd) but I spent quite a bit on that.
And so far I have also spend money on additional plates, cups, towels etc etc..not high costs but bits and pieces add up.
But that is really up to you what you buy / need depending on what you already have...

also a lot of the stuff you dont need to buy until you are registered or even until you have your first mindee starting....for example I bought my double buggy 2 days before my first mindee started....to be sure I have money in before any more goes out...so to speak.

That is all I can think off at the moment
Any questions, let me know..I got registered a couple of months back so most of it should be fresh in my memory...(hopefully...)

Welcome to the forum!!