PDA

View Full Version : Not a proper job

grindal
31-08-2009, 11:12 AM
My Sis in law has just been over - she asked when DH was back to work (he is a teacher) and I told her he was back tomorrow and I was starting childminding again tomorrow after the summer. She said, Yes, but yours is not a proper job is it :angry: :angry:
I know loads of people consider childminding an easy option - but I would like to see them look after 3 under 5s whilst running their own business from home :eek:

sarah707
31-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I wish I had money for every time I've heard that over the years!! :rolleyes:

little chickee
31-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Do not get me started on this one - i get so mad when people dismiss what i do. If it wasnt for us childminders lots of other people would not be able to work. i'll have to leave it there or i'll rant forever.

nikim
31-08-2009, 11:46 AM
dont even get me started on this one :angry: ,my cousin said to me when she was returning to work (her dd was 8 weeks old) , that she was sending her to nursery because you dont really know who you are going to get with a childminder :confused: and at least with a nursery you know they are properly qualified, yer right of course you do :rolleyes:

Twinkles
31-08-2009, 12:17 PM
My dh's auntie has just joined facebook and read my comments about where we've been and what we've done.

She said ' Oh I thought you just stayed indoors with them all day !'
She didn't quite say 'and watched daytime tv ' but you could just tell it was on her lips :angry:

Lainey Lou
31-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I know its really annoying, I went out once with a group of friends for a meal and I was telling everyone that I was starting cminding and one of the girls there (who was a friend of a friend) said, yeah but cminders get paid a lot of money for sitting around drinking coffee all day ... ggggrrrrr. People just don't understand what is involved xx

misst104
31-08-2009, 12:32 PM
My children were invited to their cousins birthday party and I said I could only come if I could bring mindees also. MIL said and I quote "Just tell the parents you can't babysit that day" :mad: :mad: :mad:

jo x

nannymcflea
31-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I hope your hubby stuck up for you?:eek:

uf353432
31-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I agree - we don't do a proper job - I mean I haven't spent my whole bank holiday monday preparing for 5 new mindee's starting next week, sorting all the toys, preparing the craft projects for the mindee's mums birthdays, corresponding with Oftsed, doing my accounts, sorting my invoices.

I mean if this were a proper job - I would have been paid for doing all this work today :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Silly people - like to see them try it for a few hours - i'd watch them drown cos I barely keep my head above water at the best of times :panic: :D

Adiamond
31-08-2009, 01:37 PM
These comments really wind me up GRRRRRRRRR
My nan always says " are you babysitting today?" and I politley say " nan I am a childminder not a babysitter, there is a huge difference"

My brother is a microbiologist and leaves the house at 6.30am and doesn't get in until 6.30pm. He was complaining the other day how tired he is and my nan said "but he works long hours and gets up early!!!!"
She really got my back up and I said "hello, I am up at 6.00am and don't finish until 8.00pm" then she said "yeh but your jobs different your at home all day" :angry: :angry:
I have to walk away before I say something I may regret!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x x x

emler
31-08-2009, 04:06 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

georgie456
31-08-2009, 04:58 PM
These comments really wind me up GRRRRRRRRR
My nan always says " are you babysitting today?" and I politley say " nan I am a childminder not a babysitter, there is a huge difference"

My brother is a microbiologist and leaves the house at 6.30am and doesn't get in until 6.30pm. He was complaining the other day how tired he is and my nan said "but he works long hours and gets up early!!!!"
She really got my back up and I said "hello, I am up at 6.00am and don't finish until 8.00pm" then she said "yeh but your jobs different your at home all day" :angry: :angry:
I have to walk away before I say something I may regret!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x x x

My father in law is always on about me babysitting. I could scream at him sometimes!!!!!!

miffy
31-08-2009, 05:01 PM
It's when people ask me if I'm going back to work....................... :rolleyes: :angry:

Miffy xx

sarahlou
31-08-2009, 06:16 PM
that really annoys me - Id like to c some people look after the amount of childen we do in their own homes:angry:

FizzysFriends
31-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I get t what off my family too (except SIL who uses a great CM for my nephew so knows what its all about), I get lots of 'when are you going to get a proper job' and they seem to think I can do their running around in the day :angry:

Spangles
31-08-2009, 06:25 PM
It is really annoying and makes me very mad too but then it's not their fault, this is the image we have and the NCMA are supposed to be working on that aren't they? Plus, there are unregistered minders out there who are only babysitters and do only sit in drinking tea and gossiping all day.

I used to go to great lengths to explain what we did when people made comments like this to me but I can't be bothered anymore. We know we've got 'proper' jobs and we know what's involved and the parents who use our services know too.

NCMA should do more to publicise our roles properly and then maybe we'd get even more work from families who have, at present, got completely the wrong idea about who we are and what we do.

Mollymop
31-08-2009, 06:34 PM
What did you say to her? I would have had to retaliate..

Not a proper job? They think this because we work from home, but so do accountants, etc but no one would tell them they haven't got a proper job.

A proper job to me is when someone earns a living... and that is what we do.

When someone says that to me, I will be ready!! Never had it happen yet.,... just one person asked me how my babysitting was going and i snapped that I am not a babysitter.

Gizmo
31-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I was at PTA meeting the other night and was asked how the babysitting was going, then when I was picking up dd from school last week with 3 2 year olds with me I kept getting told oh you seem to be managing the babysitting really well how do you get them so well behaved :angry: very very annoying I AM NOT A BABYSITTER I AM A CHILDMINDER :angry:
There that feels better now :laughing:

Pipsqueak
31-08-2009, 06:58 PM
It is really annoying and makes me very mad too but then it's not their fault, this is the image we have and the NCMA are supposed to be working on that aren't they? Plus, there are unregistered minders out there who are only babysitters and do only sit in drinking tea and gossiping all day.

I used to go to great lengths to explain what we did when people made comments like this to me but I can't be bothered anymore. We know we've got 'proper' jobs and we know what's involved and the parents who use our services know too.

NCMA should do more to publicise our roles properly and then maybe we'd get even more work from families who have, at present, got completely the wrong idea about who we are and what we do.

TOTALLY UTTERLY AND COMPLETLY AGREE WITH YOU - (and I mean to shout!!! lol)

grindal
31-08-2009, 06:59 PM
What did you say to her? I would have had to retaliate..

Not a proper job? They think this because we work from home, but so do accountants, etc but no one would tell them they haven't got a proper job.

A proper job to me is when someone earns a living... and that is what we do.

When someone says that to me, I will be ready!! Never had it happen yet.,... just one person asked me how my babysitting was going and i snapped that I am not a babysitter.

I did not retaliate because she is my S in Law and has a habit of saying things that are very badly worded. We have 2 children, and I gave up teaching to look after them and become a childminder - she told me it was a bit unfair on my husband to have given up working as he was the only one earning now. Then when I started minding she said it was about time I started earning some money to contribute to our family :panic: :panic:

I'm not sure who she thinks looks after our 2 boys :angry: :angry:

sweets
31-08-2009, 07:04 PM
this is why i think we need a name change.

People think childminders are just babysitters and if we had a more professional sounding name people might think of us as professionals.

I ave to admit before i did all the training and courses i thought the same!

CherryBlossom
02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
It would really wind me up if people started saying words such as 'babysitter' and 'not a proper job'.

I haven't started minding yet but I have just studied for 4 years, and gained a Degree in Photography, everyone around me is pressuring me to go and get a job in that industry. But after 4 years it just does not appeal to me.

Everyone was really shocked when I said I was becoming a Child Minder, and I can see their point, as I could go and get another job that has fantastic money and travel etc..but i know it wouldn't make me happy.

I have had so so much negative feedback and comments from people, but it just makes me even more determined to register and build up a really good business for myself!

Not everyone sees it the same as we do, but I can't think of a more rewarding job, than one where you oversee the well being and development of a child, and give them a great start in life!

x

Toothfairy
02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
:angry: Don't get me started :angry:

gegele
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
well I have been a land lady in a pub, worked as a skivy in french hotel, worked in factory, care for special needs people, i do caring for the elderly and I.m now childminding......without any context minding is the toughest job i ever:thumbsup: done!!!!!!!

I pull my hat off to all of you who have been doing it for year!!!

Hebs
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
stoopid hairdresser kept calling me a baby minder this morning :rolleyes:

Tinglesnark
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
oh yes...a 'friend' of mine sat on my sofa yesterday and told me that i was selfish to want more children (i want another 2 at least) beause i was putting pressure on dp to work harder and earn the money to keep us! :eek: i retaliated that i am setting up this business BECAUSE of my children that i currently have and the ones that i hope to have. i told her that i would be totally self sufficient if i managed to pull in my full ratio and even if i only managed to have one mindee i would still be easing 'his burden' because i will be running my own VIABLE business. this business will be viable regardless because there will be extra money coming in that wasnt available before i started this venture and that at the end of the day we are a family not a burden and ive only told you all this to prove a point because it has absolutely naff all to do with you!
:angry:
her child is a rather spiteful bully that breaks my ds toys if he cannot play with them..nice family....
:rolleyes:

that is just one of the conversations i have had so far and i havent actually started minding yet!

unbelieveable!

Tinglesnark
02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
oh yes...a 'friend' of mine sat on my sofa yesterday and told me that i was selfish to want more children (i want another 2 at least) beause i was putting pressure on dp to work harder and earn the money to keep us! :eek: i retaliated that i am setting up this business BECAUSE of my children that i currently have and the ones that i hope to have. i told her that i would be totally self sufficient if i managed to pull in my full ratio and even if i only managed to have one mindee i would still be easing 'his burden' because i will be running my own VIABLE business. this business will be viable regardless because there will be extra money coming in that wasnt available before i started this venture and that at the end of the day we are a family not a burden and ive only told you all this to prove a point because it has absolutely naff all to do with you!
:angry:
her child is a rather spiteful bully that breaks my ds toys if he cannot play with them..nice family....
:rolleyes:

that is just one of the conversations i have had so far and i havent actually started minding yet!

unbelieveable!

hahah just read that back...get the impression that she wound me up a little? hahah

Ripeberry
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Problem is, lots of people equate work with leaving the house, going somewhere they don't enjoy, working for someone else and having to do the dreaded commute.
What they are realy trying to say to us is that we are very lucky...yes indeed we are :clapping: I used to do the dreaded commute by car and train for 12yrs (2hr journey each way) and I thank my lucky stars everyday :thumbsup:
Just let those comments wash over you, as someone said, if we did not do this job, those people with 'jobs' would not be able to do them or their kids would have to be crammed into giant nurseries :(

FussyElmo
02-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Just a little!!!

My SIL was like this often saying you need to get a proper job. Strange now she has had a baby how she cant keep on top of everything because of the demands of a small child!!! She even said thst she doesnt know how I cope with my four and the mindees. I smiled sweetly!!!

Think what gets me is when people assume my job is cushy!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I did not retaliate because she is my S in Law and has a habit of saying things that are very badly worded. We have 2 children, and I gave up teaching to look after them and become a childminder - she told me it was a bit unfair on my husband to have given up working as he was the only one earning now. Then when I started minding she said it was about time I started earning some money to contribute to our family :panic: :panic:

I'm not sure who she thinks looks after our 2 boys :angry: :angry:

I would tell her that you contribute 50/50 and you look after the children

grindal
08-09-2009, 06:46 AM
People have some strange ideas don't they. I saw my S in Law again at the week end as she remains convinced that I do not do much all day :angry:

mama2three
08-09-2009, 08:47 AM
unfortunately my husband even thinks the same! in fact he didnt even ask how my 1st day went yesterday . I have no idea how this is going to work out - i know he'll resent the time i need in the evenings to do paperwork etc , having childminding things around , god help me if i need to go to training courses etc in the evenings. He wants me to earn ( so do I , I need to help out and I really dont want to leave my own ds in childcare and go back to 'work') , but doesnt want it to impact on his life in any other way. Hes works incredibly long hours , and is really stressed and so in this way i know i have the 'easy'life he is so fond of telling me i have . Anyway , moans aside , sorry to hijack your thread with my woes!!!

louised
08-09-2009, 09:05 AM
unfortunately my husband even thinks the same!

Me too, he still expects me to do everything around the house because i stay at home all day!

mummyroysof3
08-09-2009, 09:11 AM
my hubby will be the same when i eventually start minding, he thinks looking after our own 3 aged 4 months, 2 and 4 and looking after the house is easy and regularly says i should go and get a full time job while he stays home and looks after kids, but what does he do on his weekends off....no housework, spends hardly any time with the kids and plays on pc/watches tv all day:angry:

its not a proper job...no breaks, not always paid regular and no sitting down or gossiping with workmates:laughing:

charlotte x

peanuts
08-09-2009, 09:41 AM
i was timekeeping at a swimming gala on sunday and the person that i was doing it with was asking what job i did, when i said childminder, she said i would like to do that you earn lots of money. i said i dont earn lots of money, i would only do that if i was full quota wise, but the majority of the time things change and you are not full. didnt elaberate any further about job.

Polly2
08-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I actually earn more than my hubby! AND I am here for the kids!

I like to remind him of that every now and then :D