PDA

View Full Version : Before and afterschool children

Rubybubbles
30-08-2009, 11:46 AM
hello:)

I have children before and afterschool Mon-fri

I was wondering if you let yours on the wii/xbox which ever you have? We have a wii and a really old xbox that was given to us when a friend got a new PS3 (think the newest one anyway!)

Anyway! thinking ahead for winter more than now, just feel like maybe I should have a bit more trust in them, and as long as RA right it could be fun! I have my 2 (5 and 7) mindie twins 5 and 9yr old. Was thinking if we time table it in on a tues and fri for example when I have no under 5's?

So do any of you let them or am I thinking ahead to far!! Just seem that my own 2 miss out on playing on it because I (up to now) have always said not when I am working, it seems to be collecting dust:laughing:

estrelas
30-08-2009, 11:50 AM
we use are wii very occasionally, not a problem as long as its not all the time x

sweets
30-08-2009, 11:56 AM
i would let them use no problem, but i would give them a warning that if seen to be not using it properly or too roughly then its taken away for at least a week!

It could be great fun for them especially if you have games like bowling, and ones that can have multiple players.

mushpea
30-08-2009, 11:57 AM
yep mine use the wii if not my own children would never get to play with it, they are allowed set amount of time on it then it goes off, the amount of time depends on wether they are playing two player or singly and how many children want to go on it but they are never on it for more than half hour at a time.
usualy the 3 girls dont want to go on it but the two boys do so after school they can have 15mins each x2 so they get to take turns and have a total of half hour each. over the hols they have had up to an hour each a day but its been in bits and peices and we have been out and about loads so its not like they are constantly on it not getting any excersise etc.
I also own a Ds which comes out when the little ones are not here and again they have set times on it.
I dont see any harm in them using these things as long as its not all the time, i even put it down on my planning sheet as a child led activity because its good for physical develpment ie fine and gross motor skills, and their concentration plus of course IT skills.
I do check with parents that they are happy to let their kids use them and obviously you have to have age appropriate games.
they are also great behaviour perusaion tools, if they mis behave then they loose 5mins of their time , one day in the hols one of the boys ended up without any of his hour cause he was such a pest which soon taught him that i mean what i say!! of couse it works the other way so they can gain 5mins etc

PixiePetal
30-08-2009, 12:49 PM
We use ours for children who are old enough and responsible, limited time for use. There are some great physical games out there if you have the room, especially on a wet day.

I also have an old DS which they can use for short periods with appropriate games OKd by parents.

Older kids who come for odd days in hols - had them as toddlers - bring their controllers and games with them so we can join them all up, can be a real riot on Mario Kart :thumbsup: :D

Everything in moderation:)

Rubybubbles
30-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone:)

i even put it down on my planning sheet as a child led activity because its good for physical develpment ie fine and gross motor skills, and their concentration plus of course IT skills.
I do check with parents that they are happy to let their kids use them and obviously you have to have age appropriate games.
they are also great behaviour perusaion tools, if they mis behave then they loose 5mins of their time , one day in the hols one of the boys ended up without any of his hour cause he was such a pest which soon taught him that i mean what i say!! of couse it works the other way so they can gain 5mins etc

All sounds good to me, def will ask parents first and write up as planning! My dd turned 5 on Friday and we got her Dora the explorer game, which sheis doing really well with, kinda why I thought, maybe a good idea for the minidie! We have wii sports with the bowling stuff, as well as Disney Cars, def want to try and make it a 'team/joint' thing to be playing:)

As for set time, by the time we get home from school it's nearly 4pm, then snack so would be 4:30pm before they could start lol!! But 1/2 hour sounds like a good time frame, maybe longer though if we are all playing bowling lol I know adults who take their time playing that one heehee