PDA

View Full Version : Definitive list of making your house safe

krommegirl
30-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Hello, I have my pre-reg visit on Wednesday and was wondering if there was a list of what safety precautions you MUST have in your house to please OFSTED. I know about making low level glass shatter-proof, drain covers outside, securing front door and window locks etc. Does anyone know other changes to be made? What are the rules for one step down to the garden? Perhaps there is a list of recommendations published somewhere? Thanks.

Pippa31
30-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I am not aware of a list but I could be wrong :)

However, as I understand it Ofsted are happy as long as you have recongised there is a potential risk and have made steps to make things safe/safer!

For example an obvious one is the stairs. You put a stair gate. I have two steps up to my garden and a low wall which is a magnet for climbing my 4 year old is a pro at it! However I just informed Ofsted that a minded child would never be alone in my garden as she was happy with that.

pippa

sophiestars
30-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't think there is ever a definitive list because everyone's house is different, but as long as you have had a good look round every room at everything children will be in contact with and highlighted any potential risks that is what they look for. My pre-reg inspector siad crawl around at toddler height (!!) because you may notice things that you wouldn't if you walked around normally.

I have a step down onto my patio and the inspector didn't question it at all. As Pippa said the children are being supervised so the risk is reduced anyway. As it happens the little baby I mind could negotiate his way up and down it very well at 9 months and as toddlers and other children spend time in your setting they get more used to their surroundings and where steps are, etc, so it becomes safer for them in a way.

krommegirl
31-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Hello, thanks sophie and pippa for your reply. It does make sense what you are all saying. I have completed my risk assessment, and i dont think there is anything to much to fuss about.....we'll have to wait and see. Caroline