PDA

View Full Version : what's your normal monthly expenditure?

newandlearning
30-08-2009, 06:20 AM
hi...
I've just spent the last 4 nights going through my summer accounts..
In June I stocked up for summer and made £200 profit:panic: Am working full
time so this is really pants :(
In July it was better but I was practically full all summer .. worked a lot ...
still spent £450 on total expenditure... Its just too much money that I'm spending on the LOs..

I wish for example that I hadn't bought:
spare wellies, spare swimware, spare swim nappies, spare bottles, extra bottles
when LOs lost them :( ..

I know my downfall is the toys and resources collumn :blush: :( .. am wondering if others of you out there find money could be better if you'd only just not bought what seemed like a good item at the time??? and how those of you who are better at not spending than me do it??? do you have a way of doing things which stops you buying useless items.. or items not used that much... I really need to curb this.. I finally finished accounts at midnight last night and felt totally fed up :eek:

sarah707
30-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I used to spend too much too... and of course the temptation is always there to spend because it reduces the tax bill.

I always think that I'd rather buy something nice for the children than pay 20% of my income to the tax man.

BUT I do a lot more bargain hunting nowadays, I go to car boot sales and if I'm not absolutely sure something is really needed I wait a month before spending money on it, to make sure we will use it.

When I was writing my e-book about caring for the environment I got lots and lots of ideas for recycling and reusing that I still refer back to. The children don't always need expensive options - my development officer gave me some sand pencils - my lot use sticks!!

The other thing I have done is to set out boxes of resources on the shelves, everything labelled and accessible (unless it's special or breakable etc). This way things have to earn their place as something else has to go to make space.

I also asked parents if they had access to resources eg old paper from work or things in the cupboard their little ones have not used that we might be able to enjoy together. My friend who works in a school brings us used paper as well. I get lots that way.

Hth :D

The Juggler
30-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I never look at it month by month. I just tot it up at the end of the year so it evens out.

When you look at it over a year it doesn't seems so bad and you can average your monthly salary.

helenlc
30-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I havent been to a boot sale this year as I know I will buy things I dont need!

I ask friends to consider me before they throw things out, I scour the charity shops. I also go to Poundland and 99p Stores. I try to think about how much something will actually be used before I buy it.

I bought quite a bit last month as after having just one 3 year old, I then got a 14 mth old and just turned 2 yr old. The 14 mth old puts everything in her mouth as she has big teeth coming in. So I had to go through my toys and put away any potential small bits and also buy some baby toys that she was able to chomp on.

I am forever trying to organise my cupboard (and never quite get round to it!) so I do try and curb what I buy - otherwise it gets chucked in my cupboard and never used as I cannot get to it!:blush:

Some months I spend more than others. I like to think I am good at restricting my spending. But every now and then I buy something good - for the kids obviously!!:laughing:

FizzysFriends
30-08-2009, 08:31 AM
£450 :eek: Does that include a pushchair?

I spend very little, we make use of whats available for very little or free and I try and buy from car boot or in the sales for next year (I have Christmas craft stuff as it was all reduced to 20p a pack at the Littlewood clearance shop).

If I spent £50 in a month I would be looking at why I spent that much, unless its equipment thats needed and I can't borrow from toy library, DO, friends or family.

fionamal
30-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I tend to spend more during the school holidays as I use more arts and crafts stuff.

PixiePetal
30-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I am always tempted to buy more stuff but resist more now. Sometimes when I feel like spending I look online, add to basket and leave it a few days. When I go back it's funny how I suddenly don't need it anymore. :laughing:

I have asked parents to let me have any wellies kids grow out of for my spares box. Same with raincoats, gloves etc - they are sure to be needed somewhre down the line for someone! Also get from freecycle.

Water bottles are just re used ones from supermarket, stickers added if they want or names written on.

I do need a 3 wheel buggy now we have moved to the farm. Been looking on ebay, local 2nd hand free papers. Tried to make do with my maclaren stroller but it's hopeless and this will be a must buy item. Will keep all other expenditure to minimum this month.

newandlearning
30-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I wish I'd thought about spending at the beginning of the month.. I'm soo busy observing, assessing, planning for the LOs .. I've not done the same for me or my business.. since I've started taking more care of myself and watching what junk goes in my mouth I've lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks.. I hope now to start being as good with my spending..

I think part of the spending thing is about thinking that that item will improve me, my setting/business... what I begin to realise with my own LOs is that its not the toys really that they enjoy playing with but more the activities we do .. like making playdough.

out of the £450.00 I spent one month some of that was travel and trips and around £230.00 was toys and resources.. when I look at the list there is nothing overly exciting on it.. its made up of things like a wheelchair and blind dog resource, NCMA stuff and the festival shop :blush: !!

you all have given me a few food for thought ideas .. the more ideas the merrier .. xx

miffy
30-08-2009, 10:09 AM
It's worth checking if you've got a scrap store near you where you can get lots of craft stuff from or checking out sites like Baker Ross who have lots of crafts at reduced prices especially if you buy "out of season".

I now ask parents to think of me if they're clearing out toys or equipment - I've had everything from travel cots and pushchairs to bikes that way and it's a big help. I also get a lot of "spare" clothes from parents.

I also use the charity shops - if you get to know the manager then often they'll look out for things for you if you're after something specific.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
30-08-2009, 10:16 AM
As an overall general rule you expenses over the year should not be too much more than a third of your gross income. If it is much more than that without a clear a justifiable reason the IR might investigate. Also if your expenses vary a lot from one year to the next.

Like others I don't tend to work out month to month. I work full time every day and my expenses for everything last year were approx £9000. £750pm of which £370 is food.