View Full Version : any one claim tax credits for them selves?

24-02-2008, 08:47 PM
hi, do i need to phone them evbery time i get a change in income or just tell them eack year as they do it on previous yrs income any way dont they???
hope some one can advise as i hate phoming them

24-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm not 100% sure but what I'm going to do is just tell them every year when the form comes through as I'm not going to be earning much anyway.

On the other hand if I stopped minding and went back to admin work I would ring them and advise them straight away as it would make a considerable different to our income and they may as well know if it was a set wage if you see what I mean.

To be honest, with my hubby's and I's money together I would still have to earn a fortune for it to be affected in my situation.

Sorry, not much help ey!

24-02-2008, 09:14 PM
We're not allowed to as childminders...(the childcare element) something to do with being paid to look after are own children!

24-02-2008, 09:16 PM
PS...you just give them a yearly average! But as Sarah says below better safe then sorry!

24-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry, just to give the other side of the answer...

I always ring them if my income changes... I do not want to be paying back big amounts next year. Also they have a nasty habit of mucking my claims up in April when I submit the annual form, so I'd rather it was adjusted through the year as i go along...

And yes, I know, I hate ringing them too :panic:

Cammie Doodle
24-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with Sarah , one of my Mum's always used to ring them regularly to make sure all was ok as once she had to pay money back and she did not want this to happen ever again.

Blackwater Belle
25-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, do tell them as you go, I missed an error the IR made on my form once and will be repaying £4000 for the rest of my life I think! - Even though it was their mistake!


27-02-2008, 09:50 AM
your meant to call them when ever there is a change in your circumances. which is a pain but saves you being told off or caught out at the end of tax year (you owe them etc)