PDA

View Full Version : laminator help

sweets
29-08-2009, 04:27 PM
i bought a laminator this morning, its a decent one, got it from wh smiths, it was half price reduced to £12. ive just tried it out with a newspaper article and its come out a bit curled up!
i did it on hot, don't know if i should have, i also used tesco value pouches.
i was going to laminate my reg cert and insurance certificate but daren't now in case i wreck them!
anyone know what i did wrong?

Should i have done on cold, or used more exp pouches?

Helen79
29-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I broke my laminator last week by trying to laminate paint in the pouch :blush: :laughing:

I use a tescos one now with the pouches from poundland. I do find with the cheaper pouches I have to put them through twice to make them stick properly.

I might have curled cos the newspaper is thinner than normal paper.

miffy
29-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I've had that happen a couple of times - not sure why. I always use hot (don't think mine has a cold setting)

I usually put it back through and that straightens it out.

Have a couple more goes with things that don't matter too much before you do your certificates.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
29-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Could try running it throuh again the other way up. Mine come out with curled up corners sometimes so I turn it over and put it back through.

I don't have heat settings. Cheaper pouches can be thinner, check the thickness on the packet. I like ASDA ones :thumbsup:

Not done my certificate for same reason!

TheBTeam
29-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Did you make sure the laminator was fully heated and the ready light on? I have had a laminator for years, that very occasionally screws things up and we take it to bits to remove the screwed up bit and then start again! My one had a cold setting and it never worked!
I have bought yesterday a tesco value laminator which only has a hot setting, and it has worked fine with poundland value pouches and they were only put through once.

You also do not normally need to guide or push/pull the pouches as they go through.

HTH

christinajanep
29-08-2009, 06:17 PM
mine does this every now and then as well, not sure why but know its annoying, :angry:

nikim
29-08-2009, 08:20 PM
ive got a cheap one too (tesco i think) and i love it, i laminate all the kids art work and put it in their learning journey books we also make bookmarks hand print pics (great presents) , table mats , certificates etc , i also use cheap pouches and never had a problem, if it does it again take it back,

Sally G
29-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi if something is thin you can cover the whole thing with a thin peice of card folded in half it straightens it out

sweets
29-08-2009, 08:51 PM
thanks for all your replies, i will have another go at it tommorow. def not putting certificates through till i have worked it out! lol

little chickee
30-08-2009, 12:31 PM
As soon as they come out lay them flat with something heavy on them this ususally makes them stay flat.