PDA

View Full Version : Hand Washing Tips please

Bex1
29-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Hello

I am a bit stuck because I have been getting the children I mind to wash hands after playing in garden and before eating and they just dont like it! I have tried letting them climb up on the step up stool or those who cant reach holding them to the sink and letting them splash etc but then they get upset or wont put hands under tap! Then I tried role play but letting them watch me do it and my DD wash hands (as she loves it and is very good) but still neither wanted to do it! I have tried to make it fun but splashing, still nothing! Then I got sparkly hand wash and put it in the bowl and still didnt work. As a final resort I filled a big bowl, put it on the kitchen floor and messy mat and still they cried.....what the eck am I doing wrong, I dont force the issue with them, if they dont want to do it I wipe their hands with a wet flannel because I dont want to make them upset and I always talk to them about washing hands and how we need to make them nice and clean for our food but nope, nothing!

Please help, I feel a failure :( One goes to Nursery so must have to wash her hands but she cries when water is about!!!

miffy
29-08-2009, 04:20 PM
How old are the mindees?

Have you talked to the parents to see if anything's happened to make them scared of water and how do parents tackle handwashing at home.

Have you tried those flannels that are in the shape of puppets - that might help, lots of role play washing the dollies etc.

There are some lovely things/ideas on this site which might help you

http://www.henrythehand.com/

Miffy xx

Bex1
29-08-2009, 04:24 PM
One loves water play in the water tray and loves to get wet but when it comes to washing hands, he wont do it and I have tried to make it fun :rolleyes:

I have not approached subject with parents yet as I am worried it is something I am doing! My DD is excellent at hand washing and its never been an issue with her and we talk to her about why we wash hands etc and she has just turned two. The other mindees are 18 months.

Hmmmmm maybe I will have to talk with parents and, for the time being, use flannels!

Bec x

mushpea
29-08-2009, 04:29 PM
it depends on their age but could they be doing it for attention? if so i would be inclined to say 'well if you dont wash your hands then you cant eat your lunch till you do'

sarah707
29-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I think you need to speak to parents and find out what they do at home.

Hopefully they will promote hand washing and back you up... but if they don't you still have to ensure hands are washed at your inspection.

it sounds like you are doing all the right things - so all you can do is keep trying.

write it up as well so the inspector can see your successes - the children will play with water or the children will now tolerate a flannel etc... it might not seem much to you but to the inspector it shows that you are trying.

Hth :D

newandlearning
29-08-2009, 08:29 PM
how about if you were to get a bowl of water .. some frog soap and a towel and ask each child to help a friend wash their hands... my LOs would happily do this.. sorry if you've already tried this.. :o

Sally G
29-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi you could also get some antibac 'no need for water' gel so at least you know there hands are germ free - def talk to parents if anything they will be intrested to know why there child does that ( i love hearing about my daughters funny habits at nursery)

If the children are old enough you could have a system when they wash their hands they add a marble in to a pot (for example) and they have to try and fill it up by the end of the day, maybe the reward being a song or story of their choice - a bit like a reward chart I do thet for putting own shoes on.

MissTinkerbell
29-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi you could also get some antibac 'no need for water' gel so at least you know there hands are germ free - def talk to parents if anything they will be intrested to know why there child does that ( i love hearing about my daughters funny habits at nursery)

If the children are old enough you could have a system when they wash their hands they add a marble in to a pot (for example) and they have to try and fill it up by the end of the day, maybe the reward being a song or story of their choice - a bit like a reward chart I do thet for putting own shoes on.

Just what I was going to suggest.

little chickee
30-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I've got refillable pump containers from Pampered Chef that you put a wee bit of liquid soap in and fill up with water - the soap then comes out in a thickish foam which my lot all love using - and it makes your liquid soap last ages longer.