PDA

View Full Version : EYFS paperwork

Tatia
24-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this but it seemed more relevent to EYFS than Paperwork forum. If I'm worong, feel free to move it, please.:)

I wondered how everyone was doing their planning and obs for EYFS. When I attended EYFS training, the one thing they were not willing to say to us is just how many observatins OFSTED is expecting to see. All we got was "make sure to write down anything that seems important". :eek:

So what I have been doing since then is using a weekly sheet I came up with that has 6 boxes down the front of an A4 sheet, labelled for each of the early learning goals (PSE, CLL, so on and so on) on one side and 4 boxes for the main themes of EYFS down the other side (Enabling Environments, Positive Relationships...so on). Throughout the week, I jot down obs pertaining to each of the ELGs as and when I see them happening (like the 10 month took 2 steps on his own or the 2 1/2 year old was looking at a book and using the pictures to tell the story to himself out loud). If (WHEN!) I run out of space in one of the boxes, I use post-it notes stuck on an A4 sheet of paper. At the end of the week, I consider how I have met the 4 themes for that child (like under Enabling Environments, I wrote that 10 month old was starting to walk so I kept floor clear of obstructions, made sure walking toys were on offer, held his hand to help him take steps, so on and so on). Every time I made an observation, I would write "Next steps:" and then quickly say how I was gonna move the child on from there (2 1/2 year old reading book to himself. Next steps: read the story with him, point out pictures, ask him "what's that?", encourage him to tell the story back to me). Obviously the next week, I would show that I had taken all the "next steps" into account. I also use a lot of photographic evidence, stuck on A4 paper along with the post-it notes, making sure to date them and explain why they are significant. Each child has his own binder for confidentiality.

It really does not take all that much time if you do it every day. And heck, it's not like we have a choice, is it? The only thing I need to work on is doing more detailed observations, perhaps on a half-termly basis, like target child obs or free description. Still working on that one.

I only do these for children not in school because, as I understand it, the child's main setting is repsonsible for the implementation of EYFS.

How does everyone else do their obs and planning?

Ps: Just got one of Sarah's e-books but haven't had time read it through properly yet cos, blimey, she has it packed full of amazing stuff! Anyone struggling might want to consider having a look at her stuff.

deeb66
24-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Tatia

Have a look at what I posted yesterday

There are answers to some of your questions in there. You will also see that some of what you are doing is quite similar to what training we have had.

Have a look and see if it helps make more sense of things for you

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3985

Tatia
24-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Ha, thanks Deeb! It's good to know I'm already doing what the "experts" are saying to do. Sounds like your training was more informative than mine. I'm happy with my method and, being a creature who hates change, will probably not change it much unless I come across something that makes me go "wow!". I'm actually looking forward to my next OFSTED (not until after September when the new cycle begins) to show off my hard work!

sarah707
24-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I only do these for children not in school because, as I understand it, the child's main setting is repsonsible for the implementation of EYFS.

Thank you for your kind comments! :blush:

Sorry Tatia, but by my understanding, every setting a child goes to will be equally responsible for delivering eyfs. This will include us, after school clubs, playworkers etc. That's why it's so important we all work together so children aren't doubling up on activities, though quite how that will work with confidentiality issues is still beyond me!

The only thing the main setting has to do extra is the profile at age 5... :D

miffy
24-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you for your kind comments! :blush:

Sorry Tatia, but by my understanding, every setting a child goes to will be equally responsible for delivering eyfs. This will include us, after school clubs, playworkers etc. That's why it's so important we all work together so children aren't doubling up on activities, though quite how that will work with confidentiality issues is still beyond me!

The only thing the main setting has to do extra is the profile at age 5... :D

It isn't just confidentiality that could be an issue either - I look after children that don't live locally and attend a playgroup elsewhere - it's one thing liaising with the playgroup at the end of the road but quite another if it's miles away.

Still I'm sure it's all been well thought through!

miffy xx

Tatia
24-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Oh wow, that's good to know, thanks for that. The only other child I have, other than the littl'uns, who is affected by EYFS, is a 5 year old in Reception. Now how can I link Playstation after school to ELGs? Oh yeah, duh, ICT! :D

Pipsqueak
24-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Now how can I link Playstation after school to ELGs? Oh yeah, duh, ICT! :D

:laughing: :laughing:

(ps don't forget hand eye co-ordination, concentration, motor skills refinement....)

MissTinkerbell
29-04-2008, 05:22 PM
From my teaching courses on EYFS all I know is that 80% of obs have to be based on child-initiated play and 20% on adult guided play. We weren't told exactly how many Ofsted would expect. Not sure if this is the same for CMs.