PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Garden

venus89
29-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I plan to spend a bit of money making my garden a bit more fun for the little ones. I already have some sweet little butterfly mirrors on the fence but I'm after some other child friendly but not OTT decorations. i want to create a sensory garden style thing but I'm not much of a gardener so I need things I can't kill too easily. Does anybody know where I can get nice bits to hang etc and do you have any ideas of hardy sensory plants?

Saranotts
29-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I always think lavender is good plus you can make nice things with it as well also mint is very hardy.

Sara

venus89
29-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Ooohhhhh... those are good ideas. The bees will like the lavender too, won't they? Thank you x

FussyElmo
29-08-2009, 11:22 AM
You can get chocolate and curry smelling plants too!!!

venus89
29-08-2009, 11:52 AM

:clapping: :clapping: sounds good :clapping: :clapping:

Lick'le Oakes
29-08-2009, 12:08 PM
If you plant mint put it in a seperate pot as it spreads loads. i also have chocolate mint, rosemary, lavender, curry plant, a lemon thingy (possibly verbena), chocolate peppermint and sage. The children decorated some CD's and they dangle, also a small kiddies windmill and a small windchime. The children also painted labels and pictures for it. One says "Please touch me, smell me but please don't eat me" which i had a little laugh at, especially as it's stapled on the side of the dog run.:D

Helen79
29-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm looking for some ideas aswell.
Where did you get the butterfly mirrors from?

Helen79
29-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I wanted to get some boomwhackers for the garden but dh said the neighbours wouldn't be too keen on them, good if you've got a big garden.
I saw some bamboo guttering that looked lovely for rolling balls, cars etc down but was too pricey. some plastic guttering painted brightly might be nice & probably more hardwearing.

venus89
29-08-2009, 01:05 PM

I can't remember! Sorry.... I've looked online to try and jog my memory but can't remember.

miffy
29-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Some nice ideas here

http://www.thekidsgarden.co.uk/TeachKidsAboutSensoryPlantsInTheGarden.html

Miffy xx

miffy
29-08-2009, 04:55 PM

I got my butterfly mirrors from Home Bargains.

Lots of lovely mirrors here at very reasonable prices

http://www.sendmeamirror.com/category/Shatterproof_Mirrors/Garden_Outdoors/?cat=68&gclid=CN3W-a-qyZwCFYYU4wodV04rJw

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
29-08-2009, 06:16 PM

chocolate plants are poisons to dogs, they are very nice smelling to them but can be fatal just so you know, if you have a dog;)

venus89
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
chocolate plants are poisons to dogs, they are very nice smelling to them but can be fatal just so you know, if you have a dog;)

I just misread that as 'if you are a dog.....'
Oh dear!
I may have to rethink my plans and just hang up a load of hammocks to catch up on sleep!

venus89
02-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Some nice ideas here

http://www.thekidsgarden.co.uk/TeachKidsAboutSensoryPlantsInTheGarden.html

Miffy xx

Thanks Miffy - that looks good x

LittleMissSparkles
02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
I got my butterfly mirrors from Home Bargains.

Lots of lovely mirrors here at very reasonable prices

http://www.sendmeamirror.com/category/Shatterproof_Mirrors/Garden_Outdoors/?cat=68&gclid=CN3W-a-qyZwCFYYU4wodV04rJw

Miffy xx

the numbers are lovely and very cheap too :thumbsup: x

mushpea
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
well i read your post the other day and thought what a lovley idea so i hoped you wouldnt mind me pinching the idea off to the garden center i went , we now have sage and mint and corriander and tyhme for our big pot

Star
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi,
Another cheap idea for the garden, so long as you are not protective about your lawn!! I mowed a track in my grass, with turings and cross roads. We use it for ride-ons, remote control cars, practicing road safety, role play, racing games and much more. We have left 2 corners of the lawn very, very, long to encourage insects, frogs, etc, and scatterd wild flower seeds. It has been a fantastic success and very cheap.

Star

venus89
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
well i read your post the other day and thought what a lovley idea so i hoped you wouldnt mind me pinching the idea off to the garden center i went , we now have sage and mint and corriander and tyhme for our big pot

Pinch away! And enjoy x

venus89
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi,
Another cheap idea for the garden, so long as you are not protective about your lawn!! I mowed a track in my grass, with turings and cross roads. We use it for ride-ons, remote control cars, practicing road safety, role play, racing games and much more. We have left 2 corners of the lawn very, very, long to encourage insects, frogs, etc, and scatterd wild flower seeds. It has been a fantastic success and very cheap.

Star

Wow - that sounds brilliant!
Sadly if I did that then there would be a lot of crashes as my garden is teeny

Star
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi, mine is not a big garden, only a small 3 bed semi. You could just do a circle track and make it one way. Play police/traffic wardens, make signs, etc for one way!

Star

venus89
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
My trouble - aside from the size (our garden is honestly smaller that your average lounge) is that our garden slopes. My dear husband has been promising for over a year to level it but doesn't seem to have done it yet :rolleyes: