PDA

View Full Version : accessibility of toys

mjw
24-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Feeling down tonight and a hopeless childminder.:( Often get like this when I am overwhelmed by new trainings. How do you all make toys accessible to children without having too much out. I know some people allow free choice by making files with photos of toys so children can decide what they want but I store my extra toys in the attic so would not want to be up and down the ladder..... I tend to rotate the toys and know which ones interest which children. I do have a good selection out but wondered how others manage .:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
24-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I rotate my toys on a weekly basis too. I put this weeks stuff in the cupboard in the sitting room, other stuff like books, threading and some craft stuff is freely available.

Other than that I have to put stuff away as I just do not have the room to have it all available - even on request. If it is asked for I tell the children that I cannot get it right now but we can get it out for tomorrow...

deeb66
24-02-2008, 08:38 PM
You are not a hopeless minder Mary.....in fact I think you are one of the best!!

As you know I also do toy rotation as I haven't got the room. I think quite a lot of minders are in the same position as us!

I keep all my toys in boxes and keep them in a shed out in the garden so that they are easy to access.

I know that it means more expense and might not be practical but could you not do that so that you can get to them easier.

angeldelight
24-02-2008, 08:40 PM
You are not hopeless at all

Yes I do more or less the same as the others

Most things are available for the kids to use but NOT the craft / paints - they do that when I say
Can just imagine glue and paint everywhere - god I dread to think ha

Angel xx

mjw
24-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry shed is full with garden toys!:panic:

angeldelight
24-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Keep them in the attic where you have the room then and do what you are already doing

It sounds fine to me

Angel xx

deeb66
24-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry shed is full with garden toys!:panic:

I have my garden toys stacked in the corner covered over with tarpaulin....hence room for toy boxes in shed!

mjw
24-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone. Just having a downer I always feel others are probably doing it far better than me! Never had a complaint that a child was bored so as long as they are happy......

Spangles
24-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I feel like that all the time!

I just imagine that compared to everyone on here I'm really dreadful!

I get the feeling that you needn't worry though! I think you sound like you're doing a great job!

John
24-02-2008, 09:01 PM
You can go over the top with toys like i found in my spaire room i have to many so i had to plan a storage plan. Getting stacking boxes and shelfing and a pully so now everthing is tidy. I could open a toy liberery.

John.

sarah707
24-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I have too much too... must have a clear out! :rolleyes:

miffy
24-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't see anything wrong with what you are doing atm

What you have out is freely accessible to the mindees and you rotate toys so that mindees have "new" toys to play with

Don't be to hard on yourself the children are happy then you should be too

Where to store toys is a nightmare I have things in every room of the house as well as the loft - I think I must be a hoarder :) Then I forget what I've got or worse I know I've got it but can't find it.

Miffy xx

Twinkles
24-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you're doing fine. I have my toys in boxes in a lean to attached to my playroom. But I don't get them all out every day:eek: I decide what to get out according to who's coming or what hasn't been out lately or what topic we're doing. If you have loads of toys out all the time they don't get played with , they just get chucked around. I think what is meant by accessibility is that the children can make choices of the toys that you have out.

Cammie Doodle
24-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Sounds like my house Miffy:laughing: My Hubby must be most patient man on earth. I was like it when son was little , then the foster kids now the minding kids toys toys and more toys . Oh then there is the equipment, but thats another subject:rolleyes:

susi513
25-02-2008, 11:34 AM
I get toys out according to who I'm expecting. Some things like duplo are out every day, others are on rotation. I keep stuff in the shed (we have his and her sheds lol) and the loft so I can't just go and fetch things that they want. And you have to be careful not to have too much out as you end up with a carpet of toys and nowhere safe to play with them, crawl or walk.

I am going to copy the toy catalogue idea though. This will be something to show prospective parents and their children what I have, and to show Ofsted the range of toys available (and all the multicultural stuff etc as its not all out at once). Also children could flick through and tell me what they'd like to play with next time they come.

Banana
25-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I have all the toys accessable in the playroom with the exception of craft items. But TBH its driving me crazy. I would rather have a smaller selection on offer at one time and rotate them rather than the sheer horror of all the toys being out every day - its one thing that drives me round the bend they tidying up afterwards is a nightmare

x

buildingblocks
28-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I agree with what everyone wlse has said. I do not think it is good if children are overwhelmed with too many toys (sorry not quite what I wanted to write so hope you understand my gabbling).

So long as children are able to access the toys that are available to them on the day e.g clear boxes or labelled boxes and able to help themselves rather than having to ask you to open everything for them then surely that is the toys being accessible to them.

Hope that makes sense

miffy
28-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes i think you're right kate

Ofsted just want to see that children can choose what they want to play with

Miffy xx

Angela234
28-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Children have access to most of my toys in playroom but under supervison meaning i don't let them turn everything out they put away with help/encouragment one box before getting more out. Stuff like beads, buttons, pegs, games with small parts are in a looked cupboard in lounge they can have them at the table they just ask. Puzzles on shelf they can reach older ones higher up same as games, books the same also in accessable boxes in playroom Craft stuff ,playdoh ect i get out i have more toys upstairs in spare room bring down as needed.

Angela

Tily Bud
28-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I keep most of my toys in boxes in the hallway and a storage box in the garden and rotate what we use daily although some of the mindees would play with the same toys over and over again :rolleyes: