PDA

View Full Version : Another pre-reg query

Vyx
28-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi Y'all

Just trying to get a few things straight in my head, and my local gov website is down so I can't check there.

Thinking ahead a little here (as my local gov haven't responded to my query from Tuesday about pre-reg briefings - will chase them today) to the pre-reg visit.

As I understand it, Mrs Ofsted will, amongst other things, be checking to see if I'm 'set up' to begin childminding. I don't have children of my own so therefore do not have toys, books, safety equip etc, and I certainly don't want to buy any of the above before I know if I will be registered. I wouldn't think you would get things like buggies or car seats until you knew what age child(ren) you were looking after anyway but I have nothing child related at all in my home. Will that be a problem do you think or are Ofsted working in theory at that point?

If there are areas of my home that are unsuitable, will Mrs Ofsted tell me what to do to rectify this? And will that mean another pre-reg visit to check any corrective action has been taken before my registration proceeds any further?

Many thanks for your help

Vyx

xx

Tam's Tribe
28-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi

I cant give advice coz it seems that Ofsted inspectors all have different ideals but an elderly couple who went into Childminding with me (they also didnt have any children at home) in West Yorkshire and they were advised to get some toys for different ages (they already bought a pram/car seat/highchair with council grant) but it was only put down as an action (to be completed urgently) but their registration went through. I assume these actions (from pre-reg inspection) are expected to be completed and checked on next inspection.

For me, I have two young boys so I have loads of toys but I never bought highchairs, prams, stair gates before my pre-reg and explained that I would purchase if I took on children that required it and Mrs Ofsted was happy with that.

Good Luck.

cherylann
29-08-2009, 08:54 PM
hello
i am at the pre reg stage too . i have applied for the pre reg course and i am luckly enough to have a 4 year old so still have a fire guard but need to buy stair gates know has i sold them i do have car seats but only booster seats and have a pushchair and first stage baby seat i have started to buy some role play toys .
i do also have to think about if any changes need to be made to the house to be approved and whta risk asessments to write and desgin learning journelys etc
hope it all goes well for u with ofstead etc