PDA

View Full Version : A couple of 'price' querries

Paws
27-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello!

I have had an enquiry for a little girl who goes to school with my daughter. She would get dropped off in the morning only for half an hour. In circumstances such as that, do you only charge the half hour or do you charge for the hour?

Also, she will be here for the school holidays, apart from when she will 'go to stay with her grandparents for the odd week here and there'. So how would that also work money wise? Would I still charge for the time during the holidays that she would otherwise be with me if she wasn't going there?

green puppy
27-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi,
I don't do before and after school but I would charge the full hour at your usual hourly rate. Holidays- I guess you could charge a retainer fee for the days she is not with you unless you know in advance and can fill the space with another child. I guess really you could charge full fee but I would probably just charge half.

helenlc
27-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I would round up to the hour. Some people do session rates - one for before school and one for after. You might want to search through the threads on those to see what other people do.

For the holidays, I would suggest charging a half retainer for all the holidays and then they pay full price for the days/hours used. But tell them you will need to know the days/hours they want the week before. You will want to make plans and will need to know whether to include this child.

If they are not happy with paying the retainer, then you need to explain that you cannot guarantee being able to have the LO as you may have other children/not space in the car etc.

Hope that helps.

sarah707
27-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd charge an hour, it's the least I offer for morning care...

OR you could say you run a breakfast club and just charge a set fee every morning including food whether she wants it or not.

For the holidays, I would say BEWARE the 'might go to granny's for a week or 2'...

In my experience, it generally translates as - she'll be away most of the time so I can save the childcare money.

But I need a space with you just in case.

Oh and I'm not prepared to pay you for it cos it won't be that often really.

Oh and you'll drop everything when she comes home and I need you, won't you?

:D

nikim
27-08-2009, 08:39 PM
i know of a childminder who charges £5 for before school (1hr or less) and £10 for after school (2hr or less) including a snack, she also charges £5 for every drop off and pick up (per family) ,she doesnt have to take her own child to school (shes 12) hence the charges for pick up/drop off, you could charge her the contracted hours when she doesnt come through the holidays that way your money will stay the same and when you do have her in the holidays you will earn more, but stipulate that you will need 4 weeks notice if she needs you in the holidays and once she has given you written notice of the holiday times, you will still charge her if she changes her mind ;)

buildingblocks
28-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I charge a slightly higher fee (50p) more for b and a schoolers and a minimum of 3 hours so £12 a day for 3 hours so this parent would be paying me £12.

This then drops to my normal £3.50 an hour for school holidays but this depends on the hours they are with me for. I also charge full fee if I am available so they would be paying me contracted hours whether child was with me or not throughout the holidays.

I suppose it depends on how much you need the work