PDA

View Full Version : Advertising - sign in garden next to nursery?

cheesymariesy
27-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new but I've been lurking for a while!

I live near a reasonably busy road, the back of the house is in plain view with speed bumps ensuring the traffic is quite slow. I've been on vista print and like the look of the garden signs which if placed near my back fence would be seen by lots of passing traffic.

BUT....My back garden faces directly onto a private nursery car park!:eek:

Things are really quiet here with phone calls being few and far between for many childminders and I lost a family of one pre-school and three after school mindees as they moved away.

I've gone from full to having four after school places empty and one under 5 place free.

Do you think I should speak to the nursery manager and explain that I'm not trying to poach children from them and I would remove the sign once I fill some spaces? Or do you think a bit of competition is health! lol ;)

Thanks for any advice x

jaja
27-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I would do it, what have you got to lose by it, your garden, your business and i am sure that they advertise on there property..... go for it xxxxxxx

brightstar
27-08-2009, 09:30 AM
They probably wouldn't consult you about the effect their signs could have on your business, go for it. Just make sure the sign is out of their reach lol

MissTinkerbell
27-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd just go for it. Its your property and if you wish to advertise your business on a sign in your garden then I can see no problem with that. As others have said I'm sure they wouldn't consult you.

cheesymariesy
27-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your replies. I think I might just go for it - times are getting hard after all lol! The past two years at this time I got phone calls from students needing childcare as the local college is due to start back but no enquiries yet. I'd rather have a little one than after schools but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

M x

Daftbat
27-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I would just do it. As someone else said - they probably advertise on their property anyway so no difference, and, times are hard and you never know who might be looking for a change in care.:rolleyes:

chewy sweets
27-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Yep Go for it!!!:thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
27-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the idea of these too - but do you need planning permission for this sort of advertising?

CCJD
27-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I would go for it and wouldnt bother saying anything to the nursery. I take it they have some sort of sign up saying what business they are running and do this without consenting with you?

LittleAcorns
27-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I personally would go and introduce yourself, explain that you are going to be putting a sign up, (youre not asking, just keeping things friendly :littleangel: )after all we are all out to run a successful business, its only the same as getting yourself known to local minders, I have 2 minders that I will recommend should I not have spaces available

cheesymariesy
27-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I believe the local council consulted the home owners here when the lease was up for grabs and it was between the nursery and something else. It used to be a council office building. That was before I bought my house and I've become a childminder since then so I was aware of their advertising before I started caring for other peoples children. I took the bull by the horns as it were and spoke to the owner and manager and they were fully supportive. They suggested we could work as a team sort of (although I know I'd stop bringing new children in when my numbers were full and I doubt they do!!). Thanks for your support it's not the same if you ask people who don't childmind!

M x

kellym3
28-08-2009, 10:06 AM
go 4 it i have the small sign on the grass verge outside my house nothing been said if some thing get said you just take it down buisness is buisness:D