PDA

View Full Version : trackers?

mama2three
27-08-2009, 08:33 AM
have read on a couple of posts that ofsted dont like trackers - how do you all make sure all the different points within the areas of learning are covered? still very new and struggling to decide on the best ways to plan / observe /evaluate etc...... thanks

Pipsqueak
27-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I know it sounds simple - have a good read of your EYFS stuff, get to know the child in your care well and the areas of learning and development.

Every so often you review your obs to ensure that you are covering (and observing and that the child is making progress) in all the areas.

sarah707
27-08-2009, 05:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with using trackers to give yourself some ideas of what to do and how to work with the Eyfs.

Just don't use them as tick lists... make sure you write up what the child is doing and how you can challenge or help him to move on.

Hth :D

Heaven Scent
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I've always used trackers alongside other things - you cannot do observations on everything a child does but its no use just ticking them you need to date them an write a brief comment saying how well or not the child is doing. Sometimes they are an excellent tool to raise warning flags or to show how advanced in a certain area a child is but you cannot use them instead of observations.

fun house
06-09-2009, 09:19 PM
i was using trackers because i found it easier to understand and then after a while i realised that there is things in there that we do not need to cover and there was things i have been missing out. I posted a note on here a while ago and someone said to go on to the EYFS cd and print of the stage of development of the age of the child you are caring for and use them for reference. I have done this and highlighted the areas the child has covered and it is easy to see where the gaps are.