PDA

View Full Version : is my friend right or am I?!

charliegee
26-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Hello all

I was talking to a friend who is a childminder too about a family who are coming to see me about care 2 days a week for their baby - I spoke to the family again tonight and they said bit of a change of plan from our original chat RE hours. - they now want 2 days a week from 10 -2.30. (had originally wanted about about 7 hours care a day)

My friend said that because the family want hours right in the middle of the day and because the LO is only 12 months - it is unlikely that I will fill the space and so should charge a full day rate?

I thought this sounded wrong and too much (I was just going to go with an hourly rate for the hours they are with me) but wondered what anyone else thought (this forum always gives such good advice!)

xxx

Twinkles
26-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Personally I'd charge an hourly rate but I'd make it a slightly higher rate than usual. Your friend is right you are unlikely to fill the other hours. But everyone does things differently.

charliegee
26-08-2009, 11:55 PM
ah thanks for the quick response!

Is it okay to charge different parents different amounts dependant on their individual circumstances?

(sorry to bombard with questions!)

x

Twinkles
26-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I charge different rates depending on the hours used. The fewer hours the higher the rate.
No probs about the questions :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
26-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I agree to an enhanced rate.

Or I might bring in minimum number of hours - so certain amount of money can be earnt. Maybe 6 hours? If they only need 4 they will have to pay for the 6 IYSWIM. Not as much as a whole day but enough to make it worthwhile for me.

christine e
27-08-2009, 07:14 AM
I look at each case individually when deciding how much to charge but generally the fewer the hours the higher the rate, for example I base my calculations on £3.50 per hour, if a child only came for 3 hours I would most like charge £12, if they came for 10 hours I would cap at £30, but it is entirely up to you what you charge just make sure at the end of the day you are happy with the amount of money coming in for the work you do.

Cx

mushpea
27-08-2009, 07:41 AM
i charge one set hourly rate for all as i dont see how i can justify charging one family more than another, i also fit mindess around each other so like i have 3childre from one family 2 days a week, 1 child on a different 2 days then another on 3 days a week then one 5 days, the one child on 2 days and the one on 3days share a full time space then the 3 children can have which days they like as the mums hours can change, i am happy doing it this way because i dont want anymore children than this so i guess it just depnds on how many children you want and what you can afford to do.
the other way is to take on this child on a contract with a short notice period so that if a full timer comes along you can have the option of letting the child go for the full timer. bit cruel but thats buisness

andreaschildcare
27-08-2009, 07:44 AM
hiya

I had this, and I charged a higher hourly rate :) now the parent has just increased her hours so I am going to reduce the rate back down for her :)

Chimps Childminding
27-08-2009, 07:47 AM
We charge £3.50 per hour, but a minimum of £20 per day for under 5's. Most of my lo's are part time, but part time days not hours. It is unlikely that you would be able to fill in around these hours, except for an after schoolie, but as the lo is only 12 months, they are taking up one of your 3 spaces.

kindredspirits
27-08-2009, 08:18 AM
depends on how much you need the work and what availability is like in your area. when quiet i have done hourly rates, when i've been inundated with phone calls i would charge a daily rate because i can fill the space.

helenlc
27-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I think its also the position of the hours in the day. If it was 8-1, you could have someone that wanted afternoons to start from about 2 (a shift worker or someone who needs child care til the other parent gets home from work at 6 say).

But with those hours in the middle of the day, its tricky.

I charge an enhanced rate if under 10 hours a week. I think you have to make it worth your while to not be able to take on another child whilst you have their one.

Or as someone else said, make it a shorter notice period if more hours came along with another child. I did this to a lady who wanted 3 hours once a week for her 2 sons. She knew that she was unlikely to find someone for such a small amount of time. I was honest with her and said that if someone came along wanting full time or a few days to include her day, then I would probably give notice. She was ok about this.

mum2two
27-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Everyone works different, and you have to do what's right for you.

Personally, I have always just charged for the hours they need. Sometimes it has been annoying knowing they are taking a space for which I could prob get double the amount for, but I knew that before I took them on. I always ask what hours/days on the phone, so can say before they come & see me if I have spaces etc. If I don't want to do those hours, I'd say I was full!

xx