PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter

MissTinkerbell
26-08-2009, 06:14 PM
How do I stand on this?

I have a new mindee starting on Friday and his favouritw sandwich is peanut butter which his mum would still like him to have. None of my own children have an allergy (in fact pb is their favourite too) and neither do my other 2 mindees who also like pb.

I explained to mum that I'm really not supposed to give pb but she said that she would write me a letter stating that she gave me her permission to give her son pb sandwiches for his lunch.

Is this acceptable or do I have to say that I can't give it to him?

Hebs
26-08-2009, 06:22 PM
why can't you give it??

sarah707
26-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I can't have it in the house as ds is severely allergic.

If children are ok I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

Have you read something that says it shouldn't be offered?

I know they say not to give peanuts to under 1s but apart from that I haven't seen any guidance. :D

FizzysFriends
26-08-2009, 06:26 PM
How do I stand on this?

I don't stand on peanut butter, my socks would get all messy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nikim
26-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't stand on peanut butter, my socks would get all messy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Mouse
26-08-2009, 06:29 PM

:laughing: :laughing:

I have peanut butter in the house, but have never given it to mindees, but only because the need has never arisen.
I know some schools ban it, but I can't see there's a problem if none of the children have allergies.

My favourite are peanut & cucumber sandwiches :clapping:

Dragonfly
26-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Ive never read/heard that we cannot give it to children, unless they have an allergy of course. It's really nice though it gets stuck to the roof of your mouth!!:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
26-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I was only eating this from the jar earlier :laughing:

Zoomie
26-08-2009, 07:01 PM
LOL The peanut butter never lasts long enough in this house for me to give it to mindees.

I have specifically added it to my 'permissions' as I am aware how dangerous it is if given to a child with an allergy.

MissTinkerbell
27-08-2009, 08:54 AM
The only reason I ask is because when I went on my ICP course last year we were told that we shouldn't even have peanut butter in the house as even if a child does not have an allergy they can still develop one!!!

I argued that if parents were happy then it should be up to us - my own children adore pb sandwiches and ask for these most days and that provided I didn't have a child with a nut allergy it was unfair to deprive my own children of their favourite. I was told that I should limit them to just having pb sandwiches at the weekend :angry: when I didn't have any mindees!!!

wendywu
27-08-2009, 09:06 AM
My DH has a nut allergy but we still have it in the house. It is my downfall i can eat it out of the jar.:)

little chickee
27-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Its ok to give children peanut butter as long as they do not have an allergy to it or the risk of an allergy ( ie a family member with an allergy).

I have just given my 1yo mindee peanut butter and honey sandwich - supplied by his mum.

If we have to avoid anything they could potentially develop an allergy to that would rule out a lot of foodstuffs - eggs, milk, wheat, gluten, etc. People can be allergic to lots of different things.

Princess Sara
27-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The only reason I ask is because when I went on my ICP course last year we were told that we shouldn't even have peanut butter in the house as even if a child does not have an allergy they can still develop one!!!

I argued that if parents were happy then it should be up to us - my own children adore pb sandwiches and ask for these most days and that provided I didn't have a child with a nut allergy it was unfair to deprive my own children of their favourite. I was told that I should limit them to just having pb sandwiches at the weekend :angry: when I didn't have any mindees!!!

I think someone has either been pulling your leg or over-exaggerating things.

As long as no-one has an allergy it is fine to have it in your house and give it to whoever wants it. It's not ok to give it to under one's.

In the case of a first time allergy, the first time you try something you most likely won't react, you body has to 'assess the situation' if you like, and the reaction will usually happen the second or even third time you try it. To keep yourself safe you cold only give it to mindees that have had it a few times before but I wouldn't remove it from my home unless someone had a serve allergy. B has a slight allergy, comes up in a rash, but we still have it in the house and her mum is even happy for others to eat it in her presence, as long as they wash their hands afterwards.

Saranotts
27-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I can't see a problem with you having it in the house or giving it to a mindee, my only word of caution is that because it is so clarty (don't know if that is a scientific term:blush: ) it can be a choking hazard (this is what we were told at my first aid course) and so shouldn't be given to young children.

Sara

Daftbat
27-08-2009, 02:10 PM

This is ridiculous! Give your own children and those of others the things they like. The person running that course sounds a bit OTT to me!

MissTinkerbell
27-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I argued my point and contined throughout last year to give my own children pb sandwiches. Didn't give it to M as she didn't like it - or sandwiches for that matter!!!

I thought that it was just silly and as none of the mindees had allergies I couldn't see a problem. One of the ladies on our course was an Ofsted inspector and she agreed with the person running the course that we should not be giving pb - she said that many nurseries are not allowed - although I could understand this due to the large number of children and there more likely to be a child with an allergy. However in our settings we only have a few children so are aware of any allergies and can act accordingly.

Blackhorse
27-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me at the induction course..
it was about eggs...
similar story....I think it has all gone mad.
as long as there are no allergies and everything is prepared properly..I cant see the harm...

MissTinkerbell
27-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments.

I still intend to give the pb but will pop the letter in L's file all the same.

LittleAcorns
27-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I think someone has either been pulling your leg or over-exaggerating things.

As long as no-one has an allergy it is fine to have it in your house and give it to whoever wants it. It's not ok to give it to under one's.

In the case of a first time allergy, the first time you try something you most likely won't react, you body has to 'assess the situation' if you like, and the reaction will usually happen the second or even third time you try it. To keep yourself safe you cold only give it to mindees that have had it a few times before but I wouldn't remove it from my home unless someone had a serve allergy. B has a slight allergy, comes up in a rash, but we still have it in the house and her mum is even happy for others to eat it in her presence, as long as they wash their hands afterwards.

Very well put! I believe that things like allergies stem from children avoiding them at all cost then having them as they get older and the body doesnt like it!