PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help needed??

mrsbish01
26-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello im new to childminding and starting to think about insurance.

As we privately rent, my landlords always paid buildings insurance and we pay the contents insurance.

Can you tell me if i need to buy a separate buildings insurance or whether i just need to change my contents insurance to be a childminder?

Just worrying about the added expense if i need to start payin buildings as well.

I am aware i need public liability and to change my car policy.

Many thanks

sarah707
26-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you have written permission from your landlord to use your property for childminding yet?

The landlord should let you know about insurances at the same time as that comes through.

If he's overlooked it, give him a quick call.

Good luck! :D

mumof4
26-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Im not sure whether you need to have a copy of the landlords insurance but ncma`s helpline would be able to let you know. x:)

mrsbish01
27-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yes the landlord emailed his permission and its all printed in file now.

Do i need a copy of his insurance? At my briefing they just said permission, and to let landlord know that i would get special insurance to cover being a childminder?!?!

I just wasn't sure if this meant buildings (he currently pays) and contents or just contents insurance (which i pay).

Thanks
xx

Joannechildmind
27-08-2009, 02:57 PM
When i registered (i rent privately myself) i informed my insurance company who asked a few questions then added it to my policy, my insurance remains the same price too. :clapping:

mrsbish01
27-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi
So is your insurance for buildings and contents or contents only with the landlord paying the continuing to pay the buildings part as normal?

Im so confused with this!!!

Many thanks

Louise

Chatterbox Childcare
04-09-2009, 10:25 AM
The contents insurance company will need to know about the childminding and I would have thought that the landlord would have informed his company. As long as you have it in writing from the landlord that it is okay to childmind then I think you are covered should anything go wrong.

The Juggler
20-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I would ring NCMA helpline and just check with them so you know you are covered if using their contracts (or ring Morton Michel if you are with them).