PDA

View Full Version : Mindees just got to see something amazing

miss mopple
26-08-2009, 03:21 PM
We have literally just watched one of my fish give birth :clapping: We isolated her yesterday and we've been watching her all day as she looked fit to burst :eek:

I noticed just now that a baby was on its way out so gathered them all to watch :D They were transfixed by it.

Unfortunately as soon as it popped out the poor baby got attacked and eaten by its mummy.Poor little fishy :(

Not everyday kids get to see something like that up close though, even if it was a sad ending.

She has more to deliver so hopefully she's not so hungry now and we'll have a few babies to show them tomorrow

LittleAcorns
26-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Awrrr bless, fancy eating it though :panic:

LittleMissSparkles
26-08-2009, 03:23 PM
im so sorry but that made me laugh....:blush: poor baby fish and poor mindees watchin it being eaten x

hope she lets any more live x

sarahlou
26-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Sorry, but me and hubby think that is very funny too :laughing: :laughing:

TheBTeam
26-08-2009, 03:26 PM
We too have been lucky enough to see this, and watching the chrysalis hatch into butterfly!

sweets
26-08-2009, 04:05 PM
sorry but i found it funny too! how did you explain to the mindees why it ate its baby? lol

Hebs
26-08-2009, 04:08 PM
sorry but i found it funny too! how did you explain to the mindees why it ate its baby? lol

:eek: my son would have been mortified

i found it funny too though, what did the kids say??

It's a small world
26-08-2009, 04:10 PM
wow thats great shame about the ending though..what did the children say ???

helenlc
26-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I had a little laugh too, sorry:blush:

But how did you explain to the kids that the fish has just done a wonderful thing of giving birth and then ate it straight away??

Saranotts
26-08-2009, 06:17 PM
So sorry but that is hilarious:laughing: and is something I would expect to happen to me ...... "oooh look children, the mummy has just given birth to a baby" "ooh ******" mmmmmwwwwwahhhhh (from previously excited children).

DH has now pointed out that perhaps it was keeping it safe in its mouth! (I personally think that my dh's mother was quick on her feet when faced with the same situation.)

Sara

Tam's Tribe
26-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but me and hubby think that is very funny too :laughing: :laughing:

Me and my hubby too!! :blush:

But on a serious side, a fantastic experience for the kids!!!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
26-08-2009, 06:55 PM
my fish are all having babies at the mo to.

it reminds me of a time we were sitting infront of the patio where a pigeon was walking past. My dh commented on how it would scare the children for life if beauty (my old cat) caught him, Literally 10 secs later there comes Beauty marching towards us with a big fat pigeon in his mouth!

miss mopple
26-08-2009, 07:16 PM
you rotten lot :laughing:

Luckily the kids were pretty ok about it. I just told them it was all part of nature and they accepted it.

We've managed to rescue the next one that was born though so I can show them a live baby tomorrow :clapping:

Hebs
26-08-2009, 07:50 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

helenlc
26-08-2009, 08:02 PM
you rotten lot :laughing:

Luckily the kids were pretty ok about it. I just told them it was all part of nature and they accepted it.

We've managed to rescue the next one that was born though so I can show them a live baby tomorrow :clapping:

Yay!! You fish saver!!!!:laughing:

BTW Hubby wants to know what type of fish they are?

miss mopple
26-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Not so yay- its pegged it already :laughing:

They are plattys. Very pretty but randy little devils :laughing:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
26-08-2009, 08:46 PM
they are definatly randy little buggers i have 15 baby platys in my tank. U can get a birthing pool where the babies sink to the bottom so the greedy mummy cant eat them

CCJD
26-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I am sorry , but I did find that funny too - dont know how old your mindees are but can you imagine the kinds of questions mums and dads would be having tonight - everything from babies coming out of bottoms to mothers eating their offspring :laughing:

Nature is great !!!

miss mopple
27-08-2009, 05:55 AM
they are definatly randy little buggers i have 15 baby platys in my tank. U can get a birthing pool where the babies sink to the bottom so the greedy mummy cant eat them

she is in a birthing tank but they didnt fall through quick enough

helenlc
27-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Any more on the way?

Stanfield
27-08-2009, 12:16 PM
We too have been lucky enough to see this, and watching the chrysalis hatch into butterfly!

I tried this at a nursery I used to work at ... watched them for hours ... then they emerged whilst I went to the loo!!!:angry: