PDA

View Full Version : broadband

kellym3
26-08-2009, 01:24 PM
i mostly use my computer (WWW)for childminding resorses ect do you put this through your books at what %.also im not on wireless so have to run lead from phone socket to computer about 8meters away (thats why im not on here much) probbably good job, i would like to know what provider everyone use im on bt at the moment and would like to change to wireless for cheeper alternative.(would not b able to aford home hub bt)

twiggy
26-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm with Virgin Media, not had to many problems with them. I also have my tv and phone with them and get 50 free prints a month under their V Stuff.
Not sure what I pay as it is done as a package and there are different speeds you can have for the internet.

CCJD
26-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi, I put about 10% of my broadband bill through my books - but we do use the computer alot for non childminding things.
As for provider, we too are with virgin media. I have previously tried swapping to a lower rate providers but they all want to give me broadband over a telephone wire and whilst their speeds etc all leave the providers at the levels they specifiy, by the time they have routed through our local (very outdated) telephone exchange we get a fraction of the speed. Virgin Media run by cable so there is no nearly as much lost by the time it reaches us (if that makes sense). This is a problem specific to our area and largely due to our local telephone exchange and I am not willing to trade £5 - £10 a month for snail mail internet access.
Hope this helps

MissTinkerbell
26-08-2009, 01:41 PM
We are also with BT and are wireless but do not use the Homehub - you do not have to. We went to PC World and got a Belkin Wireless Modem and use this. Not sure how much it cost but it was only a one-off payment and we use BT's Option 2 package.

kellym3
26-08-2009, 01:42 PM
with bt at min through the phone not very fast anyway out in sticks. would like to get rid of land line but need it 4 sky never use phone much have mobile but saying that cant get signal in surounding villages so dont know what network to use for that ether ( god im out dated here :angry: )ah its getting worse.i got option 1 i think not on here loads of hours every day. but cant afford to up to different option need to tighten belts and do away with some things.

MissTinkerbell
26-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I think we used Option 1 to start with and its only since hubby kept getting charged for exceeding his downlaod limit that we upgraded. I think you have to have a Belkin wireless moden cos its the only one that works with BT - we had Netgear to start with and it wouldn't work and this is what the BT engineer told us.

The Juggler
27-08-2009, 03:23 PM
we're with Virgin too. i don't bother charging any to expenses. I only pay £12/month. I probably should as I'm never off here and strictly speaking it's work isn't it!!:laughing: