PDA

View Full Version : Fire safety and EYFS ideas please

sarah707
24-02-2008, 12:19 PM
The EYFS states (pg 34, statutory framework)...

' fire doors should be... easily opened from the inside'

Ideas please for how that works with...

- locking doors to stop intruders;

- moving keys to prevent little people hiding them in toy boxes;

- not putting keys on hooks next to doors because the Police would go bonkers and you would be invalidating your insurance;

- the risk of smoky atmosphere meaning you would not be able to find a key on a busy shelf...

HELP! :eek: But hey, I got to page 34! :cool:

berkschick
24-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Easy Sarah, just stay outside at all times :laughing:

At least the children will be getting the required 30 mins fresh air then too

sarah707
24-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Easy Sarah, just stay outside at all times :laughing:

At least the children will be getting the required 30 mins fresh air then too

Hmmmm.... but then we have the problem of the location of key to the garden gate, locked of course to stop intruders but effectively pinning us in the garden in case of emergency...

B*m, hadn't thought of that one! :laughing:

miffy
24-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh I'm sure all will become clear eventually :laughing:

I thought they just meant make sure the door doesn't stick like mine did when I tried to take the inspector outside :panic:

Miffy xx

sarah707
24-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I thought they just meant make sure the door doesn't stick like mine did when I tried to take the inspector outside :panic:

Miffy xx

Oops! :laughing:

deeb66
24-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I have my door key (as I lock the chub lock) on a hook near to the front door.

It is far enough away so that it cannot possibly be reached by an intruder....

it is high enough so the kids can't reach

and it is easy to see/reach as you have to pass it to get to the front door.

If you have got no where to put it other than on a busy shelf...try putting a dish (nice and attractive of course ;) ) on the shelf and making sure that nothing else other than the key goes inside the it or over the top of it.

sarah707
24-02-2008, 09:25 PM
If you have got no where to put it other than on a busy shelf...try putting a dish (nice and attractive of course ;) ) on the shelf and making sure that nothing else other than the key goes inside the it or over the top of it.

Oooo, that's a good idea Dee! Thank you! :D

Spangles
24-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Just thought - what about a cat flap!!!! Ha ha!

sarah707
25-02-2008, 07:53 AM

Hmmmmm! :laughing:

crazybones
25-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Just imagined fire brigade coming in and seeing my backside wedged in the cat flap. They would all be off with post traumatic stress. :eek:

Annie x

Teresa
25-02-2008, 08:09 AM
i keep my keys fasten to me on a hook with a pully sting thing (sorry dont know what they are called) that extends when i oull the key so i can reach the locks, got all my keys on it (gate house windows). mine from tickled pink cancer research. i got it a while ago from asda dont know if they still have em.

sarah707
25-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Yes Teresa I'm thinking I might have to start wearing them tbh... :rolleyes:

I like Dee's idea of a dedicated dish, but I just asked Fireman on school run and he wasn't over keen - he said it might get covered with post, other little bits and bobs might get put in it... if it was smoky, keys would have to be immediately findable...

Trouble is I have 3 doors for fire exits downstairs, which means 3 sets of blooming keys, I'd struggle to know which one opened which door if it was smoky or dark or we were in a rush...! :panic:

A stretchy thing fastened to the wall next to each door, not seeable from outside or through any windows... hmmm now that's a thought! :idea:

Twinkles
25-02-2008, 09:19 AM
All my doors have bolts across rather than locks, they are high enough not to be reached by toddlers and are strong enough to keep out intruders. That way no key for me to lose :o

deeb66
25-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes Teresa I'm thinking I might have to start wearing them tbh... :rolleyes:

I like Dee's idea of a dedicated dish, but I just asked Fireman on school run and he wasn't over keen - he said it might get covered with post, other little bits and bobs might get put in it... if it was smoky, keys would have to be immediately findable...

Trouble is I have 3 doors for fire exits downstairs, which means 3 sets of blooming keys, I'd struggle to know which one opened which door if it was smoky or dark or we were in a rush...! :panic:

A stretchy thing fastened to the wall next to each door, not seeable from outside or through any windows... hmmm now that's a thought! :idea:

I understand what you are saying about things being put in the dish as well Sarah but you could always add this to your daily risk assessment to ensure that the area around the dish was clear and that no mail was put on top.

Once you got into the hang of it it will become second nature pretty quick!

I am not sure about a key of a stretchy thing......we have had a load of robberies in this area where people have left keys etc on telephone tables and thiefs have used rods, poles etc poked through letter boxes and got hold of keys that way. :angry:

If the key was on a stretchy thing that would make it easier for the thief :panic:

sarah707
25-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I take your point Dee... oh for goodness sake there must be an answer everyone is happy with! :rolleyes:

deeb66
25-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I take your point Dee... oh for goodness sake there must be an answer everyone is happy with! :rolleyes:

Like most other things we are supposed to do.....I think you will just have to risk assess and see what is the least dangerous solution to the problem and go with that one.

It is never easy is it?!!!!!!....sometimes I feel like throwing my hands in the air and telling all concerned to bog off and let me do things my own way!!!

sarah707
25-02-2008, 02:44 PM
sometimes I feel like throwing my hands in the air and telling all concerned to bog off and let me do things my own way!!!

Right behind you there Dee! We could start a Mexican wave... how multicultural of us! :laughing: