PDA

View Full Version : Got My first child today annnnnnnnd

Daddy Day Care
26-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Its a freebie lol

Friend of mine asked if i could mind for the afternoon on a one off basis.

Havent got ym insurance sorted yet, dont wanna get it untill I know I have a mindee then plan on buying it the day before.

Really didnt think it was worth getting now for a few hours when it could be months before i have a proper mindee, sooooo I said id do it but couldnt take no money for it.

I guess the experience will help

Gareth
xx

miss muffit
26-08-2009, 10:48 AM
No money...but he could give you a bottle of wine for your trouble :D

Have you looked into Morton and michel insurance its £35 for the year

Zoomie
26-08-2009, 11:20 AM
congrats.

don't underestimate how long it takes to do your insurance. I was told a day, but in reality, it took about 3.

helenlc
26-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Well done you - all experience helps. It will give you an idea of how things will be with another child in the house and what you can do/offer to help it be fun and go smoothly.

I have my insurance with MM and got it as soon as I got my certificate came through. Still only £35 a year.

What if someone rings you tonight, comes to see you tomorrow and signs and wants you to start next Tuesday (Monday being Bank Holiday obviously)?
One of the last mindees I took on, the mum came on the Wednesday, signed and wanted to start the following Monday? Could you guarantee that MM would be in place in just a couple of days? My other one (who I had done occassional babysitting for) contacted me on the Thursday to start the following Monday as well!!

Might be worth doing. It would also mean that if this mum wanted to use you again, you could charge. You could also offer ad hoc care - and with your insurance in place, you would be able to do it for more than a couple of hours and for payment.

Ok, lecture over - enjoy your day!!

It's a small world
26-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Enjoy and have fun...more experience prepares you for when you get mindees.

I have my insurance through NCMA. I did it on line but missed my security number off back :blush: they phoned me up to get it and asked when I wanted it to start and I gace them a date (was a few days later) they said certificate in post but even if I didn't have it by the start date would still be covered from that date.

GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:

Polly2
26-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Hope your day going well Gareth :D

Monkey1
26-08-2009, 02:10 PM
i think they should buy you some Magners for your trouble!

Monkey1
26-08-2009, 02:13 PM
You ought to make a wish list of toys that you want for minding Gareth, and then that way you could ask them to buy one of the things on there to help you get your business established............and you could ask (to be cheeky )and ask for the receipt so you can write it off your tax!:D

Daddy Day Care
26-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Well done you - all experience helps. It will give you an idea of how things will be with another child in the house and what you can do/offer to help it be fun and go smoothly.

I have my insurance with MM and got it as soon as I got my certificate came through. Still only £35 a year.

What if someone rings you tonight, comes to see you tomorrow and signs and wants you to start next Tuesday (Monday being Bank Holiday obviously)?
One of the last mindees I took on, the mum came on the Wednesday, signed and wanted to start the following Monday? Could you guarantee that MM would be in place in just a couple of days? My other one (who I had done occassional babysitting for) contacted me on the Thursday to start the following Monday as well!!

Might be worth doing. It would also mean that if this mum wanted to use you again, you could charge. You could also offer ad hoc care - and with your insurance in place, you would be able to do it for more than a couple of hours and for payment.

Ok, lecture over - enjoy your day!!

Consider myself well and truly told off :blush:

I was under the impression that soon as I phoned to arrange my insurance I was covered from there and then and the certificate would come a couple of days later.

Actually reading the other responses Kerrie has confirmed what I was thinking, I also plan to use NCMA to start off with.

Monkey when she dropped J off, she did say to me ill get you some Magners to say thank you, I supidly said aww you dont have to. When she got back 25 minutes late she had listened to me and hadnt :laughing:

J was great tho and did enjoy the afternoon, even tho it meant I missed Diagnosis Murder (sad I know but love it) but at the time I was stuck in the kids playhouse, watching it pee it down out the window, all good fun.

Gareth
xx

Mollymop
26-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I am pretty sure you are right Gareth. As soon as you pay for your insurance (best do it over the phone) you are insured. That is the case with ncma, I asked them this when I paid for mine and they said I was insured. x

balloon
26-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm insured with MM but it costs me £40 a year, no idea how others get it for cheaper... (but would love to know so come on spill!)

I got my first insurance before I started minding, good job too as I had an immediate start and would have had to make them wait...

butterflyAdam
26-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you enjoyed it as well as the children!

Maybe your friend will return the favour and look after yours if you need it some time. Though think the toy wish list is a good idea!

Hope you get some mindees soon.

Eleanor x

Zoomie
26-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Gareth, don't you get your first year free via ncma / local council ?, in which case, anything local gov is guaranteed to take longer.

This is what happens in Beds.

grindal
26-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I got my insurance on line from NCMA and in the comments box I asked for my policy number to be sent to my e mail address as soon as possible as I needed it urgently. i got an e mail about 2 hours later with the policy number - my first aid kit however, took nearly 2 months to arrive!!