PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!!

butterflyAdam
26-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Hiya

I'm a newbie here and have been lurking ever since starting registration process. It is very different here in Ireland as it is done by Social Services.
I started the process as a friend had asked me about looking after her two children when she went back to work full time in September.

Had my inspection 3 weeks ago today. Was given 3 weeks we needed to do and Social Worker came yesterday to check they were done. She left saying that she would ring me when the registration certificate was ready so I could pick it up quickly to get insurance sorted before starting to look after the children next week.

That was at 10.30 am and at 4.40 pm she rang to say she was concerned about the raised lawn in our garden and is bringing her Senior SW out today to look at it. She said we may need to get a fence put around it! This is just not feasible option for us and I am really cross that she never mentioned this problem 3 weeks ago and is now effectively moving the goalposts 6 days before I start with my mindees.

Anyone else come across a problem like this?

Eleanor x

LittleMissSparkles
26-08-2009, 09:39 AM
how high is the raised garden ? Im not sure exactly what the height measurements are but anything over a certain height has to be safe for the children from falling a hurting themselves iyswim, we have a split level garden and have a retainer wall in the middle with small fencing on top if it for safety. Try not to worry to much if you do have to have a small fence it might not be as much as you think and will be worth it in the long run Im sure, i can see how frustrated it must be though for you

butterflyAdam
26-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your reply. :)

Its a retaining wall and its 3 ft. I've 2 young children myself and have no problems with it. A fence would block out light from the house plus I would worry if they climb on it they could fall further.

E x

Demonjill
26-08-2009, 10:08 AM
That must be so annoying for you especially as you say nothing was mentioned weeks ago and if it had the whole process would have been done by now!
Safety does come before looks on the case of all the registering bodies!
Good luck x

Blackhorse
26-08-2009, 10:31 AM
that is annoying but unfortunately I think it does happen from what I have heard
could you just register the house inside only first until the issue with the garden is sorted..whatever way you can compromise with Social Services to make sure the kids are safe??
then once everyone is happy with the garden you can get it added to your registration? at least that way you can start watching the kids already and are not delaying the whole process??

welcome to the forum!!

Daddy Day Care
26-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Theres 2 small steps up to my grass, and theres a drop of under a foot, I had to get a fence and gate put up. But this was told to me from the start like it should have been you

gareth
xx

butterflyAdam
26-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone.

Well they've been and gone thank goodness. Certificate is going to be issued saying no play on grass area. I refused to put up a fence as we paid a fortune for a landscaped garden so want to be able to see it from our sunroom. We can put up temporary stand alone fences or other barriers to stop them going up the steps and to other areas of the garden where our other sheds are. There will be no outdoor play until we get this sorted, which isn't an issue really here in Ireland as we don't seem to see much of the sun!

I raised the question of why this wasn't raised three weeks ago, but apparently things change very quickly, what ever that means.

Frustratingly there is only one girl who can type certificates up and she is off on leave until Tuesday. They've told me I can go ahead and start on Tuesday, I can pick the certificate up then and get it off for insurance.

I'll not be happy until the certificate is in my hands, because this time yesterday I thought it was all sorted!

Love the forum btw and lots of great ideas for activities. I can't wait to start.

E x

daisyboo1980
26-08-2009, 07:09 PM
sounds like your having a tuff time like myself with the social workers i was meant to get told today whether i had my reg as my social worker is off sick and hadnt one anything with my file since jan , last friday i had another one out who picked up things that her collegue didnt i fixed that and have bent over backwards for them and guess wat no phone call today so i phone and told tomorrow the big social worker is looking at my file fingers cross it will be grand as ive mindees lined up for sept

hang in their and keep on at them its the old way u get things done a social worker told me that lol

butterflyAdam
26-08-2009, 07:17 PM
It is a nightmare! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Its easy to see why there are childminders who don't register.

Whereabouts are you Daisyboo? I'm in Carrickfergus.

E x

daisyboo1980
26-08-2009, 07:27 PM
its such a nightmare
im from lisburn and will be glad when its all done and dusted so i can actually do wat i love doing looking after children
hope u get sorted keep me posted as its good to hear from someone over here and going through wat i am