PDA

View Full Version : Parent wants to pick up baby when I'm on the school run..

charliegee
25-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Hello all

sorry I've been off the radar for a while - hope you are all well.

Bit of a quick question for you if you don't mind -

I've got a parent coming to see me about part time care for her baby - being she wants me to look after LO two days a week from 8 - 3

This is great as they are a lovely family - but I do (or will be doing!) my school run at 3 and don't think I'll be back at home ready for a pick up till at least half 3

- is it out of order to charge for the extra half an hour I'm having her little one when technically she doesn't need me (as wants to pick up at 3)

hope I'm making sense?!

thanks everyone for reading x

childminder54
25-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Hello all

sorry I've been off the radar for a while - hope you are all well.

Bit of a quick question for you if you don't mind -

I've got a parent coming to see me about part time care for her baby - being she wants me to look after LO two days a week from 8 - 3

This is great as they are a lovely family - but I do (or will be doing!) my school run at 3 and don't think I'll be back at home ready for a pick up till at least half 3

- is it out of order to charge for the extra half an hour I'm having her little one when technically she doesn't need me (as wants to pick up at 3)

hope I'm making sense?!

thanks everyone for reading x

I would not as she wants a 3 oclock pick up will she have to hang around until you get back, or could you not as her to pick up from school.

veronica

LittleAcorns
25-08-2009, 11:52 PM
could she meet you at the school at 3pm? I used to do this, most parents are happy to meet you

charleyfarley
26-08-2009, 06:05 AM
I was going to suggest her meeting you at school too. I wouldn't charge for that 30 mins either

Hope you work something out :thumbsup:

Carol xx

angeldelight
26-08-2009, 06:07 AM
I have a child that is supposed to get picked up at 3 also

They pick her up when I get back or sometimes a bit later at the school

I do not charge extra and its no trouble really

Angel xx

sarah707
26-08-2009, 06:59 AM
In my experience parents will meet you half way if you explain your timings and wait to see how they can fit in with you.

Just explain that there is no way you can hang around, you will leave at xxx exactly.

Charge the hour so you are not out of pocket.

Hth :D

Mollymop
26-08-2009, 07:25 AM
could she meet you at the school at 3pm? I used to do this, most parents are happy to meet you

I was going to suggest the same. Lots of minders do this, and I am about to in Ocotber when a little one starts ..but mindee will be dropped off to me at the school at 9am rather that collected.

LittleMissSparkles
26-08-2009, 07:31 AM
It is entirely up to you hunnie, I personally would say that it was inconvenient at 3 due to school run unless she wanted to meet you there she would have to collect at 3.30 when you got back hth x

FizzysFriends
26-08-2009, 07:39 AM
I have some that collect at school, drop off at school, collect from the swimming pool, collect from toddlers.

Chimps Childminding
26-08-2009, 08:05 AM
It is entirely up to you hunnie, I personally would say that it was inconvenient at 3 due to school run unless she wanted to meet you there she would have to collect at 3.30 when you got back hth x

Thats what I would suggest too!:thumbsup:

huggableshelly
26-08-2009, 08:10 AM
I would state that pick up needs to be 2:45pm or 3:30pm or meet at school at 3pm.

I have a 9 - 3, mom pays till 3 and often picks up at 2:50 which is enough time for me to get to school but she knows if she isnt here by 2:50 I'll be gone. she picks her others up from a different school so if late she gets her others first then comes back to pick up. I dont charge extra as most of the time she picks up early.

something to consider .... if you drive the child is taking up a seat that could be used for another afterschooler so financially you need a pick up before school run or meet at school giving you the option to take on another afterschooler.

helenlc
26-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I had LOs last year whose mum wanted to finish at 3pm. I said that that wasnt possible as I would be on my schol run. I offered to charge her just until 3 and meet her back at mine at 3.30. Or meet at the school.

She chose to meet me at the school and it worked fine.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't do it for nothing. I would arrange to meet at school too

If you say you will meet her back at yours at 3.30 it stops you collecting another under 8 from school.

buildingblocks
26-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Lots of good advice there

i would just explain that I could not look after little one till 3 as you have a school run. She may suggest alternate times. Do not offer to do the extra 30 mins for free as has been said it will potentially stop you filling a space for picking up from school.

Mum may offer to not pick up until you return. Point to remember if she says she will pick up at 2.30 what will you do if she doesn't turn up - happened to a friend of mine mum was due to pick up at 2.30 didn't turn up till 3 so CM had to take child to school and was over her numbers on way back due to parent deciding to sit outside her house (missed her by 5 mins) instead of phoning her and meeting her at school.

mummyof3
26-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I've just had the same problem a parent wants to pick up at 3.30 but I mentioned I would be at school at that time. I told him it wouldn't be a problem for me to take LO to school with me and drop them off home on the way home (they live on way home from school). He was very happy with this and even said some days he will be home at 3 before I left and he will collect early then. They sometimes give themselves an extra half hour in case of delays etc so you might find like my parent they are home slightly earlier anyway.

The Juggler
26-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm in a similar situation but with a current child. For 18 months have been meeting the parent at the school where she works. I always offered to bring child home but from start she prefered to have her dropped to her at work. It meant her hours were 8.15-3.15 rather than 8.15-3.45 which I could have charged another hour or half hour for.

I agreed to it as arranged time was 3.15 (5 mins after school bell) but I later found out she worked until 3.30 and usually I was hanging around until 3.35-3.40. I have never charged extra even though strictly speaking was being taken for a bit of a ride (also picked up child's older sibling from the infant school en route and dropped him off too - for free!)

This year I have said I can't do it any longer due to numbers of after schoolers and hanging around in rain/snow/heat etc. Am no longer picking up older sibling due to numbers either instead I will pick up children from school where she works and come home again. This means I would have child until 3.45. I WILL be charging unless she can make alternative arrangements.

Sorry for rant. However, its different in your situation as parent is available to pick up the child from 3pm. I would see if she could meet you at the school as everyone else has also said or come a bit earlier.

charliegee
26-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't do it for nothing. I would arrange to meet at school too

If you say you will meet her back at yours at 3.30 it stops you collecting another under 8 from school.

Gosh this forum is great - loads of good advice!!

Spoke with parent again today though and change of plan as now won't be needing me till that late now - doesn't need so many hours minding which is a shame...

ho hum - hopefully things will pick up soon - am hoping for a September rush!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply though everyone and will certainly bear in mind the advice about how taking a child on a school run could potentially stop me collecting another - gosh, hadn't thought of that! - this forum is a godsend!

x

singlewiththree
27-08-2009, 06:28 AM
I have a parent who originally wanted to drop off at 9am but I am at school so I said we leave at 8.30 or she could meet us at school. She chose to send at 8.30am and she pays from that time.

You could either offer the parent to collect at school or pay the extra and wait until 3.30pm