PDA

View Full Version : rising 5's beware

mabel
25-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a mindee due to start school next Thurs, but the head does not want the new mindee until the monday (poor mindee cannot undertsand why all the
other going and not him) then he will do 2 week part time, by wk 3 he can go
full time. Ofsted have said he cannot be classed as a rising 5 until he is in school full time, have had to cancel a bit of everybody to fit him back in !

bit of a pain, check this isn't happening to you

Minstrel
25-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I imagine it happens like this in most schools.

Usually you can get a variation though for just a couple of weeks, could you ask for one?

Zoomie
25-08-2009, 10:35 AM
this is happening at my school, but i did know abt it and have planned accordingly. unfortunately no further mindees have come along (yet), so I haven't had to bother yet.

i would try for a variation for a few days. the worst they can do is say no.

good luck

Chimps Childminding
25-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Same here, our lo's go half days for first 2 and a bit weeks. Not filled space yet so not a problem!!:thumbsup:

Hebs
25-08-2009, 10:40 AM
our school does 3 weeks of settling in

1 week mornings
1 week afternoons
1 week full day but home for lunch :rolleyes:

Blaze
25-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Our school does a whole term off mornings for summer babies so they don't go full time till January!:eek: Winter babies are mornings till October half term! & they have a 3 week staggered start so they all start on different days - What bugs be is there is 5 infant schools & only 1 does this - makes life very difficult :angry:

Mouse
25-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I tend to say I have a place from October, not September, so it gives the rising 5s time to get properly into their 10 sessions a week.

angiemog
25-08-2009, 11:13 AM
My little mindee isnt starting mornings til 19th Sept. They are gradually starting all the new children. He then goes full time in January. So he will count as an under 5 until January. x

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2009, 12:07 PM
My 2 do 1/2 days for 2 weeks. Luckily Ofsted have granted me 2 variations to allow for this. They are being flexible about variations and if its only for a few weeks they don't have a problem with it - well thats what they told me.

Trouble is now I've applied for the 2nd variation I don't even know if the mindee is coming as I'm still waiting for mum to sign contracts!!:mad:

carebear25
25-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Mine starts full time on 7th sept so I guess im lucky he is counted as over 5 straight away x

Shirlwith3
25-08-2009, 01:44 PM
My daughters school does this too she starts on the 2nd but don't go wull time till 21st Sept, I have had a enquiry for a lo starting 7th Sept so am now waiting for ofsted to agree to my variation for 2 weeks.

Shirl

aly
25-08-2009, 01:53 PM
My son is a riser and will not be a full timer until 16th because he will do odd hours to settle in...this is the norm though.

newandlearning
25-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I had a lovely lady call me yesterday wanting parttime care .. her LO and My own LO are going to be in the same class.. but as I'm already up to my numbers I can't help her out until Jan. :angry: (when they are both rising 5's ) .. it seems such a shame .. I've invited her around anyway so our two LOs can meet and who knows what will happen in the future..x

rickysmiths
25-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I have a mindee due to start school next Thurs, but the head does not want the new mindee until the monday (poor mindee cannot undertsand why all the
other going and not him) then he will do 2 week part time, by wk 3 he can go
full time. Ofsted have said he cannot be classed as a rising 5 until he is in school full time, have had to cancel a bit of everybody to fit him back in !

bit of a pain, check this isn't happening to you

Why didn't you just ask for an emergency Variation to cover you on grounds of continuity? They would have been very unlikely to refuse. I have had this in the past to cover for a few weeks.

Princess Sara
25-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I tend to say I have a place from October, not September, so it gives the rising 5s time to get properly into their 10 sessions a week.

Good idea. One mindee doesn't start 10 sessions until 24th Oct, I am still waiting to hear from the other...