PDA

View Full Version : Do I chase up or let it go?

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Not sure what to do.

A few weeks back I had a mum come to see me wanting before/after school and holiday care for her 4 year old daughter. After visiting she decided that she wanted the space and asked me to apply for the variation that I would need and to contact her if/when I got it.

Ofsted granted me the variation for 5 under 5s (already had variation for 4 under 5s) so sent her a text and left message for mum to get back to me when would be good to sign contracts. We agreed on last Monday night at 7.30pm.

8.15pm arrived and no sign of mum. She'd texted me the day before to see if it was still OK for that night. Texted her to see if she was still coming or if she needed to rearrange. She said that her LO was being a nightmare to go to bed and could she possible rearrange to come the following Monday? I said that this wasn't a problem and was expecting her last night at the same time.

Well it was another no show (she said that her daughter was on holiday at her parents this week) and no message either. I texted her gain to see if she was still coming but no reply.

Would you send her a text to see what happened or just let it go? I'm beginning to wonder if she's going to be a problem because I've had to remind her and chase her on a few occasions so wondering if to just let it go?

Not sure what to do.

melanieabigail2004
25-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I personally would leave it and see if she contacts you - could be a sign of what is to come . . . . .

M :)

Daftbat
25-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I would just leave it personally. either she will contact you with real reasons why the no show or else thats the last you will see of her. You can't spend all your time chasing people up.

OrlandoBelle
25-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I would stop the texts and phone her explaining that you have had another enquiry from someone else and you need to know ASAP if her daughter will be taking the place. Give her a week to respond and then i'd forget about her. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago too. You have to think, if she's this unreliable now, how is she going to be when it comes to collecting on time or paying?

Would this affect your variation? Once you are granted one for a specific child and they don't show up, can you still offer it to someone else?
I have one full time space left but if it is taken i will be over my numbers for one hour in the afternoon on a tues and weds so need to apply for a variation.

rickysmiths
25-08-2009, 09:34 AM
What a shame but a lesson learned. Never apply for a Variation until the contract is signed and the deposit paid. It is your time and effort taken. If a parent is serious about a place they should show their commitment by signing on the dotted line. it would be signed subject to your getting the Variation, if you did not you would return the deposit, but as in your case at least if the parent does not go ahead you keep the 4 weeks fees deposit.

I would give her till the end of this week and then I would write to Ofsted and thank them for the variation but you regret to inform them that child X has not taken the space and will not now be attending your setting.

Yes Aimie a variation of this kind is for a named child. The name will not appear on the cert but will be recorded on file. Yes if there was a change of circumstances and a child for whom you have a variation left and another could easily slip into their place Ofsted will usually just change the name on the request for you. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and they reacted really quickly in changing my variation.

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2009, 09:51 AM
You have to think, if she's this unreliable now, how is she going to be when it comes to collecting on time or paying?

Well thats what I'm thinking so will probably just leave it and see whether she phones with a genuine reason for not coming. TBH I can do without the hassle.

Would this affect your variation? Once you are granted one for a specific child and they don't show up, can you still offer it to someone else? Not sure but I would imagine that as long as the child is the same age its just a matter of ringing Ofsted and changing name and darte of birth?

I think I'll leave it and see if I get anymore enquiries - need to get back in touch with CIS though as told them I only have space 3 days a week now!!

MissTinkerbell
25-08-2009, 05:18 PM
AN UPDATE

Mum texted me about an hour ago. Apparently she was taken ill at work yesterday and was signed off by the doc, given strong painkillers and slept from yesterday afternoon until lunchtime today!! She apologised and said could she come and sign contracts tonight if it was convenient?

I said couldn't do tonight but she could come tomorrow night - so we shall see. If she doesn't turn up I'm readvertising the space and she'll have to find someone else!!

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I am sure it will all work out as you want it too. It is the parents that don't ring that are a pain!

helenlc
25-08-2009, 07:34 PM
The fact that she has rung you is a good thing.

Hope it all comes off for you.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

breezy
25-08-2009, 07:52 PM
If she didnt want the place surely she wouldn't have rung you? good luck though x