PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinguisher where does it go?

Hollybelle
24-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I have bought one but can someone tell me the correct place to site it in my house ? next to one of the exits??:panic: :panic: :panic:
I understand the fire blanket goes away from the cooking area but easily avaiable?
Many thanks in advance for any help :) :D

Cammie Doodle
24-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Hollybelle, think you will find same rule applies as fire blanket, have it accessable at all times, but out of mindees reach (can you imagine the fun they would have with a fire extinguisher?;) ) Thats what I have done with mine and not had any negative feed back from Ofsted . Im sure if it's wrong someone else will pop on and let us know.:thumbsup:
June

sarah707
24-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Mine are on the wall in my kitchen... but when I had my Fire Inspection recently, the nice fireman said not to use the extinguisher unless absolutely necessary because it makes such a mess! :eek:

miffy
24-02-2008, 10:55 AM
My fire blanket is in the kitchen and the fire extinguisher is in the garage which is just off the kitchen

Ofsted didn't ask about the extinguisher

Miffy xx

Sarsar3NCH
24-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I was advised not to have an extinguisher as there are so many different ones for different types of fire that if you get the wrong one you can make things much worse. I was told by my inspector that Ofted prefer you to just get out of the building.

Sarah

Hollybelle
24-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks ladies its only a 1kg size and was thinking of wall mounting it in the utility room which is just off the kitchen and also has one of the exit doors. Fire blanket is in the kitchen on the wall. Or should I put it on the wall at the main entrance door which is the other exit????:idea

OH is pacing around with a hammer ..........help:D :D :D

miffy
24-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Fire blanket sounds fine where it is and also where you plan to put extinguisher is fine

Lucky you having dh poised and ready for action :)

Miffy xx

sarah707
24-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks ladies its only a 1kg size and was thinking of wall mounting it in the utility room which is just off the kitchen and also has one of the exit doors. Fire blanket is in the kitchen on the wall. Or should I put it on the wall at the main entrance door which is the other exit????:idea

OH is pacing around with a hammer ..........help:D :D :D

Fire blanket in kitchen, somewhere by cooker as that's where you'll need it should a pan fire happen xx

Hollybelle
24-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Found this on the web ...... advice from my local fire & rescue service

"Placement of Fire Extinguishers:
Fire Extinguishers should be located where they can be seen easily.
The best place is on an escape route, that is near an outside door, or on the route from the living areas to an outside door, or close to any perceived fire risk. Keep fire extinguishers out of reach of children.
Do not place them over cookers or heaters or in places of extreme heat.
Maintain the extinguisher as per the manufacturers instructions. "

Thought I had read it somewhere lol! So its going at the main entrance door/exit!!
OH is a happy chappy he finally gets to play with his toys:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks to everyone for replying :thumbsup:

miffy
24-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you - that makes sense

Miffy xx