PDA

View Full Version : Landlords permission

Daddy Day Care
25-08-2009, 07:58 AM
When I first applied to be a childminder last October, i didnt realise you needed landlords permission to run a childminding business from my home.

I found out a couple of months down the line and kep meaning to ask for permission but being a lazy man i never got round to it.

Finally yesterday i got my lazy ass down the council and spoke to someone and they told me that I didnt need permission as childminding counts as working from home, not running a business from home.

I tried to argue I was running a business but she insisted I didnt need permission, this dont sound right to me from what ive read on here what do you lot think?

Ive got her name and kept the ticket number so it shown when I saw her, Im just worried 6 motnhs down the line they will come abck and say i should have got permission

gareth
xx

Hebs
25-08-2009, 07:59 AM
i didn't know either, i was also told it wasn't "running a business"

i didn't argue :thumbsup: :laughing:

Mollymop
25-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Are you renting privately or from the council?

Childminding is not classed as a business, but self employment. She is correct there.

If you have a landlord you would need to get permission from them. If that is fine, you will be ok. Make sure you get it in writing.

I don't rent so I don't know the "ins and outs" so hope you get some better help soon x

sweets
25-08-2009, 08:02 AM
i'm not sure about it really but it may different if the house is owned privately then rented out, then landlord permission is needed, but if the house is council owned and you have been told its ok then i woudn't worry about it.

Daddy Day Care
25-08-2009, 08:08 AM
The house is council owned

cuddlybunny38
25-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I am in coucil, years ago when I minded you didnt have to do it, But when I re-registered last year I was told I had to do at my icp training, so contacted my housing officer( was told to ask for them) he told me to put it in writing, which I did and he sent me a reply saying its ok with them, I have this in my portfolio which the ofsted lady says was fine. Think its mainly done incase they recieve complaints from others about you and your bussiness as it is in their property and in the end they are resposnible for what their tennants do. Think it varies in each area though I am in Herts. x

FussyElmo
25-08-2009, 09:13 AM
When I started childminding my private landlord gave me permission as it is not classed as a business!!!

I have a few friends who all live in council houses who childmind. Look at it from their point of view if you are working from home they wont have to pay housing benefit etc!!!! (not saying you do but the council like you to pay not the other way round) When I applied for a council house she said no probs on being a childminder for this reason!!!

Minstrel
25-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Why dont you write to them requesting permission?

They will need to write back to you to give you an answer (even if its that you dont need permission) and then you can keep the letter for your records.

helenlc
25-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Ours is a Housing Association home. I asked over the phone if I needed permission and they said No. But they did say that if they received complaints cos of the noise of the kids, parents coming and going etc, then they may have to re-think it.

Blaze
25-08-2009, 03:03 PM
You need written permission if you're renting privately...can be a problem - generally it's given if it's council...HTH:)

carlen222
25-08-2009, 04:57 PM
i had this problem when i tried registering. before my application could go through i had to have a letter of permission. but the council refused to give permission until i was registered!!! vicious circle!!!! so it delayed my application. the council finally said theyd give provisional permission but i had to show them my certificate once i get it then they will decide!!! well i started on friday there as my reg came through from last monday but my certificate has only arrived today. see if i go down to the housing tomorrow and they tell me im not getting permission!!!!! :angry:

mammumof4
25-08-2009, 08:13 PM
GET IT IN WRITTING ASAP!!!! lol. I registered as a childminder 2 years ago, went through the whole process and then at the last min i remembered i had to ask my landord (housing assosiation) they said no! :angry: i sent letter after leter and finally gave up, rang ofsted and resigned my registration, i was gutted, all that work for nothing (and money!)

a year went by and i was still angry about this as it felt so unfair! so i rang up and asked again, i was told i had a new housing officer and my old one was wrong!!! now i have it in writting and it was the first thing i laiminated :D

It's a small world
25-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi

Im sure on our training courses they said you needed permission. I would go back and see if you get someone else and see if they can give you something in writing to say you don't need permission and then you have something to show if anyone asks ..

cherry pink
26-08-2009, 08:42 PM
hi gareth, me again lol i'm in a council house and have not had to have permission and when they have been round in the past to do my council tax benefit (single adult ) they have seen my books and the children and know what my job is and when i've pushed for work to be done i've stated i'm a cm looking after other peoples lo's and such and such is dangerous etc and they never say a word it just helps me to get the work done a bit quicker lol.

cherry pink xx