PDA

View Full Version : Training opportunities

Harryblackdog
24-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi All

Another research question for you!

How do you rate the EYFS training you received? Did it help or hinder?

How do you feel about EYFS twelve months on?

If the training was held in the day what happened to the children you care for?

Thanks for your views

Jan

Hebs
24-08-2009, 11:28 AM
What training?? Lol

Everything I know I've learnt on here!

Had no formal training at all, but this place is the best!

Xx

wellybelly
24-08-2009, 11:54 AM
What training?? Lol

Everything I know I've learnt on here!

Had no formal training at all, but this place is the best!

Xx

I agree. The training I received from my council was rubbish, and confused the hell out of me. I went on planning techniques for childminder and it turned into a riot! Everyone was complaining how unuseful it was and how we'dd all gave up our saturday mornings to listen to someone telling us to triple our paperwork - there was uproar! I have learned most things from here and Ive read the book. I am simply waiting for my inspection to know if its right or wrong.

loocyloo
24-08-2009, 12:01 PM
ncma ran a few local sessions about the EYFS on a saturday morning. we all HAD to attend one ... but having done my DHC, i knew more than the woman running the session! she was used to working in a nursery, so didn't have much comprehension about what it was like to be a childminder, and not be able to take yourself off to do stuff, whilst someone else looked after the children!

the ncma also ran/run a 4 evening course about the eyfs, i was booked on a course last october, but they said you had to attend all 4 sessions, and i was going to have to miss one, so i cancelled,a nd am still waiting to do it !!! those i know who have done it, haven't been that impressed, but these are the minders who haven't done much training and have fought doing anything!

hampshire run alot of training sessions on componants of the eyfs, but these seem to be 2 or 3 day courses, run mid-week, 9-3 ! so not much help ... when questioned, apparently when they do try and run a training course at weekends, there is little uptake from childminders ( i have pointed out that offering one course, somewhere in a huge county, isn't necessarily going to attract childminders from an hours drive away, plus, we too have some commitments at weekends! ) i DO do training at the weekend if available, and i can attend.

i too have got more help from the forum, than i have from 'official' sources.

xxx

FussyElmo
24-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Must admit our authority puts on a lot of training for us.

But we have the same argument everytime when they put training on in the day oh and starts at the other end of the city at 9.30.

They do try and put the training on at various nights and saturdays but I do begrudge giving up my weekend - will do it for a course I particulary want and do. The la has started to use different venues so we are getting there.

Also we are very lucky that we dont have to pay for any training so another plus!!!

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
24-08-2009, 05:01 PM
i went on a child preparation course in Jan 2009, i think we looked at the eyfs 3 times during the whole course! the rest of the training was about policies and procedures, risk assessments, child abuse and neglect.

Maybe thats when me and a few of my friends from my course are finding the EYFS so hard!

Pipsqueak
24-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi All

Absolultey brilliant training opportunities, we were getting offered training upto 1 year before it came in. The ongoing help, support and training is still good

Confident, happy with it. I make it work for me

Training was offered, daytimes, weekends and evenings so it didn't affect me in that respect. Ongoing support from CDO's CDW's etc and also many settings supported each other:thumbsup:

Thanks for your views

Jan

Hope that helps:D

The Juggler
25-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I reserached this with my local group of minders for my research project last year. General consensus was the LA training (even that provided by NCMA trainers) just regurgitated the EYFS document and offered no real insight, practical advice or practice application.

Most of those who had done training weren't even fully aware of the four principles of the EYFS!

buildingblocks
25-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi All

awareness sessions of 2 hours each and boring as :censored:

They are now offering day long trainings in different areas but guess what during working hours so not accessible to CM's without losing a days money.
CEYFSP done over 14 weeks at local college the best thing I could ever have done and made me understand the EYFS and would have been worth doing even if I hadn't passed it

a lot happier because of the CEYFSP course and Sarah's brill books - not because of LA training

wouldn't do it as not prepared to lose £91 a day and none of it to be aimed at or of any use to CM's

Thanks for your views

Jan
Hope that is of some use

buildingblocks
25-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Hope that helps:D

I want to move where you live