PDA

View Full Version : Help with 'variation'

Nix
24-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Hello there

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice...I need to speak to Ofsted about having too many children, a variation? How do I go about this? Letter, telephone call?

I am covering maternity leave and have just taken on a permanent child so they overlap. Mat cover is for another five weeks and the new childs mother is a nurse so child attends a full day but only 2-3 days a week. NOt sure if this makes sense!

berkschick
24-02-2008, 10:07 AM
OFSTED will only normally agree to a variation if it is for continuation of care.

Nix
24-02-2008, 10:23 AM
eek, so they may not approve it.

Do I need to write to them or telephone them?

What would be the best course of action as I started maternity cover two weeks ago then the little boy was off for two weeks and in those two weeks my new girl started. It could be from next week that they clash, still waiting to get mother's shift rota.

Help!

sarah707
24-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know... but I will bump this so someone who does comes along... hopefully! :D

miffy
24-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I think you need to ring Ofsted pdq

Normally you should request permission before the arrangement starts and as Sarah says a variation is usually granted for continuation of care

Miffy xx

berkschick
24-02-2008, 11:18 AM
You need to put in writing to them.

I recently got a variation that they were quick with but they tell you to allow 12 weeks :eek:

You must not be over your numbers without the variation as your insurance and registration will be invalid.

What are the ages of the children?

You might find that you will have to give one notice......

Nix
24-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say. Looks like I should have given it more thought before I took on my new mindee and suggested they start after Easter...ah well live and learn!

The boy on maternity cover will be 3 in June and the girl whose mother is a nurse will be 5 in September. Is that likely to make a difference?

Thanks again

berkschick
24-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Is the little girl at school full time?

What other children and ages do you have?

Nix
24-02-2008, 12:49 PM
No she's not at school till september.

Monday Tuesday and Friday I have two under one until 1230.
Wednesday I have two under ones until 1500
Thursday I have one under one.

Does that help?

Cammie Doodle
24-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I got mine , it allowed me to have 2 under 1's which over lapped until one of the babies became a year old (this was for 7weeks )

miffy
25-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Good luck let us know how you get on

Miffy xx

susi513
25-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Good luck with your request. As others have already posted, you are not allowed to start the arrangement until you get the new certificate from Ofsted. If you ever exceed the child ratios stated on your current certificate you will invalidate your insurance as well as leave yourself open to complaints and problems with Ofsted.

Ofsted do not grant variations for new business. But if you have already taken on a new child, settled them in and THEN one of the parents wants to increase hours then you might have a better chance. Because that would be to maintain continuity of care, ie keeping the child at the same childminder for the whole of the hours required.

You need to include in your letter
- names & dob's of all the children who would be present during the proposed overlap. I always add that I've spoken to each parent, and that all support the proposal, you could include supporting letters from the parents but its not essential.
- dates and times of the proposed overlap
- any additional info that shows you have considered how you will maintain quality of care for EACH child affected eg, change in procedure, purchase of additional equipment etc.

Sob stories such as there being no other childminders/choice of childcare for parent/possiblity of childminder going out of business if they lose the client and such like don't seem to carry any weight.

Where possible I like to start my letters with something like "Under my current registration I am unable to provide continuity of care for [mindee] because ...". You could include something about how happy & settled the child is and what disruption/negative consequences from having to split the care between 2 carers/uproot and start with someone new.

Good luck!

Nix
25-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Susie

Sadly my letter was sent before I saw your post but I did include some of the salient points in your post. Forgot to put parent's views and how I can manage all the children etc.

Sent via email, as they needed it in writing.

Wait and see.

Thanks to everyone for all your help...

Splish Splosh
25-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I faxed mine through to ofsted and was dealt with really quickly.

Noodles
25-02-2008, 02:25 PM
No she's not at school till september.

Monday Tuesday and Friday I have two under one until 1230.
Wednesday I have two under ones until 1500
Thursday I have one under one.

Does that help?

Hi there have you already had a variation to have 2 under ones already then.
Just wondered as i had an enquiry for twins and a 2 yr old but i can only have 1 under one

Nix
25-02-2008, 02:38 PM
My registration enables me to have 2 under a year. I asked when I had my pre-reg visit and Ofsted were happy with my 'skills' so agreed it.

I would ask them...

Noodles
25-02-2008, 09:05 PM
My registration enables me to have 2 under a year. I asked when I had my pre-reg visit and Ofsted were happy with my 'skills' so agreed it.

I would ask them...

Oh right i didnt know that they offer it to you that easily :)

berkschick
25-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Good luck, let us know when you hear back from them.