PDA

View Full Version : my daughter hates the bath!

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
23-08-2009, 06:12 PM
My daughter has just turned two and the last few times ive tried to bath her shes screamed like mad, its got to the point where she wont even come up the stairs on bath nights, but put the padderling pool in the garden and she stips off and jumps in! She spent over 2 hours playing in it the other day.

We have tried everything to get her in the bath and enjoy it and nothing is working, All we do now is put her in screaming wash her hair and then take her sraight out again still screaming.

I have another daughter who is 3 and shes never been like this, Any suggestions?

FizzysFriends
23-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Have you tried letting her shower instead? My DD went through a phase of hating the bath and she used the shower instead, now she is back on baths.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
23-08-2009, 06:16 PM
If i even mention the shower word she shakes her head saying no no no!!:)

haribo
23-08-2009, 06:19 PM
bless her ,,, it doesnt sound like she is scared of water if shes happy in the pool , maybe just of it getting in her eyes ? has she maybe got shampoo in her eyes and is afraid of it stinging ? my daughter was like this we got a thing to put on her head to stop water getting into the eyes and it helped a bit . we used to let her play for ages in the bath and didnt wash her hair for a while :blush: till she saw bathtime as fun time lol . she gradually relaxed and was ok ad of course now shes older we cant get her out the bath :laughing: good luck

sarah707
23-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Tbh they don't get particularly dirty at that age.

If she is really distressed it's going to cause problems for the whole bedtime routine, which isn't good.

I'd give her a wash down with a flannel for a little while and wash her hair over the sink with a towel over her eyes... it might be enough to break the cycle.

Either that or the paddling pool with a squirt of bubble bath... so long as it's not too slippy :laughing:

Hth :D

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
23-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Tbh they don't get particularly dirty at that age.

Either that or the paddling pool with a squirt of bubble bath... so long as it's not too slippy :laughing:

Hth :D

I was tempted to do this today!! :laughing:

mandy moo
23-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I was tempted to do this today!! :laughing:

More fun that way..bless her cotton socks:laughing:

Helen79
23-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Could you wash her in something else for a while to get her used to having a wash again. you could fill a box of water downstairs so it's not too much like bath time.

when dd was a baby we used to bath her in a cat litter tray :laughing: & when we had no hot water for a week in the winter I filled an under bed storage box with water heated in the kettle for the kids to have a bath in.

Role play with her dollies having a wash in the bath, she mighty end up wanting to join them in there :)

little miss chatterbox
23-08-2009, 07:27 PM
My first daughter went through this when she was about 18 months old! I have no idea why but like your daughter she screamed like mad!

I can't remember what gave me the idea but I bought her some posh new wellies and tried her in the bath in those and she was absolutely fine!!!!!

I don't know why but it seemed to work! I let her stand up for the first couple of times and then gradually got her lower and lower each time (kneeling and then sitting) and then eventually got her to take her wellies off.

I have no idea why it worked but it did!!!!!

Hope you get it sorted, it's horrible when they get so distressed about something especially before bed.

Jennie

RainbowMum
23-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Some children can develop a fear of the plug hole, they cant understand they wont disapear down it like the water! You could try bathing with her? I would also not worry too much about having the bath - a good strip wash, maybe standing in a bowl of soapy water? The more relaxed about it you are the less stressed she will be.

sweets
23-08-2009, 08:40 PM
will she get in the bath with you? why don't you let her wander round the bathroom while you are in the bath playing with the toys! lol. she may be tempted to get in and join in the play. especially if theres no pressure to

Gherkin
23-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Ah I know this feeling well - dd is 3 but has been a screamer in the bath since I accidentally poured water over her face when she was 18months it also did not help that her 5 yr old brother used to be a bath time screamer too.

Ellen now has a special hat that keeps the water out of her eyes. She insists on standing to have her hair washed but will not let me use the shower. Sometimes we play hairdressers with me being the hairdresser and her being the customer which helps but she has to be in the mood for it.

Other times I just put up with the screaming and wash her hair quickly.:blush: