PDA

View Full Version : holidays advice

LeeAnn
23-08-2009, 10:43 AM
ok I didnt take any hols this year as I had only just started at the beginning of the school hols. I took 3 days off one week as I had a wedding to attend and had to travel.

Just wondering if it would be too early to send a note home with the parents to let them know I want to take a week off in the october hols and intend to finish up on Dec 23rd until Jan 5th.

I feel bad though as I know parents will prob need me the most in the school hols but my DS is in school so there isno point in me taking my hols in term time.

what do you all do? Is it ok to take time off in the school hols and also am I being unreasonable about the time off at christmas?

sarah707
23-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I take between Christmas and New Year and will mention it in my next newsletter.

If you want a holiday, just give as much notice as you can. You are entitled to a break! :D

ORKSIE
23-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I write letters to all of my parents letting them know when I am going to be off. I usually take a week in the summer and try to get as much of christmas and new Year as I can.

Hebs
23-08-2009, 11:26 AM
my parents were told in my august newsletter of my holiday dates up until the end of Jan.

2 weekends off in october (but will only affect 1 family)
and that i don't work christmas eve or christmas day, otherwise open as normal as i feel its unfair to close over the entire 2 week christmas break, thats just my views as i know from personal experience how hard it is to find cover during these 2 weeks :(

LeeAnn
23-08-2009, 11:49 AM
yeah Hebs that is my worry too, my being off over the christmas time will prob be hardest for 1 family, but I know Dad's job is quite seasonal so I have nio idea how much he will be working in winter so may not be too bad.

uh guess I will just have to mention it and see what kind of reaction I get I dont care so much about New year but I just love the week in between xmas and new year and we tend to spend a lot of it with our families

Hebs
23-08-2009, 11:53 AM
as long as i get get chirstmas eve and christmas day off i'm not too fussed as once it's over it's over :laughing:

i'd much rather have 2 weeks off in the summer :thumbsup:

mushpea
23-08-2009, 12:15 PM
i sent a letter out in aprill with all the dates i would have off including christmas, i will remind them all 4 weeks before my october hols and also the chirstmas hols as i know most of them will forget.
i always have from chirstmas eve untill they go back to school in the january off because this is our family time and also my birthday falls in there too:D , i also think its nice for my children to have that week off because they have all their new toys to play with and dont want mindees playing with them.

childmind04
23-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I take most of the christmas off, it is a special time for families and that is why i work from home, parents have always been told so never had any problems, as for holidays when your ds is off then again that is why we work from home, as long as parents have notice then they can sort something out, they are usually entitled to at least 4 weeks holiday too unless SE :)

Susan

LeeAnn
23-08-2009, 07:41 PM
brilliant, thanks ladies xx

Chimps Childminding
23-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I am sure you are giving plenty of notice for October hols (6 weeks or so anyway when terminating notice is only 4 so shouldn't be a problem). I also take school christmas holidays off, I didn't think it was fair when my boys were young that they would have to put everything (new toys etc) away once mindees started back and to be honest I only ended up working odd days mostly for one child so now pack up when schools do and start back when they do!:thumbsup: