PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!

IamJen
22-08-2009, 11:09 PM
So I'd checked my lease under the section on what's allowed, but then just today I found this in another part of the lease (when hunting for info about something else):

(The tenant shall):

"Not carry on or permit to be carried on from the Property and profession trade or business whatsover or let apartments or receive paying guests on the Property but use the same as a private residence for the occupation of the Tenant and his immediate family only and being in any case total no more than two persons except for occasional guests."

I can ask the letting agent to try and contact the landlord, but she's very hard to get ahold of. (10 weeks, waiting on answer for quote about painting to cover up holes in wall! where boiler was installed)

So, am I completely screwed here?

I also like that they've listed "two" as the total number of persons, even though it's a two bedroom flat! Guess we'll have to hide the baby if one comes along. :p The people here before us (and the ones before that too, if I understand) had a child.

Oi, I think this may be the end of my childminding career before it even starts.

ORKSIE
22-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I cant help cos i honestly dont know....I do hope its ok for you to carry on with your CM.
Hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice:)

rickysmiths
22-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi I used to own and live in a Leasehold flat. I had to have the written permission of the Freeholder to work as a Childminder. Without it I would have been breaking the terms of my lease which stated that no business was to be conducted from the flat.

If you lease is saying this then you must get written permission, Ofsted will ask to see it and you won't be able to be covered for Public Liability insurance. The Freeholder is the only one who can give the permission.

Blaze
22-08-2009, 11:36 PM
You need a landlord's written permission to childmind - basically I give X permission to childmindmind from x address...you just need to reassure them that it not children running riot & you have all correct insurance etc - good luck!:)

buildingblocks
23-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Agree with what has already been said (also had to ask permission of our mortgage company to do it as well - in theory but keep forgetting when we change mortgage to do it lol) If you have any problems ask your development worker to help and support you that is what they are there for.

When we first moved here I panicked as our deeds said we were not allowed to run a business from the property - but apparently this is not a business!!!!! in that sense.

Our CIS were brilliant in those days and were great with advice and help.

geordiebunny
23-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Sounds like the same contract as ours, I just got permission from my landlord who thankfully only lives round corner. With regards the 2 people that means adults and not kids, a solicitor friend told us about that when we renewed our tenancy last year as our kids aren't mentioned on the lease.
Good luck hope you get in touch soon with the landlord.

Twinkle
23-08-2009, 08:49 PM
My landlady had to inform her mortgage company that I wanted to work as a childminder. Her mortgage company stipulated she had to take out extra insurance to cover her if a child was injured on the premises.

If the injury was caused by faulty electrics or plumbing for example, circumstances that as a tenant were beyond my control, my landlady could be sued by the parents of the child.

I really think you should inform your landlord asap

Hope you get it sorted

Jan