PDA

View Full Version : How effectively you make use of data from assessments? ARGH can anyone help?

la-la
22-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi All,

I have been filling in my SEF for ooooohhh about 3 months now! I am nearly there but am struggling with one question I left until last and wondered if anyone can give me some suggestions/ideas. My brain is no longer functioning properly!!! It's the question under Learning and Development which reads:

How effectively you make use of data from observational assessment of children to help staff plan their support for children's learning and development regardless of background, gender, ethnicity, culture, learning difficulties and/or disabilities. :panic:

I have talked about how I don't discriminate against any child and that I encourage children to learn about other cultures etc etc but I'm finding this really hard as I have only ever looked after under 2s from very similar backgrounds.

Please can anyone help! Thank you in advance.

sarah707
22-08-2009, 05:03 PM
It just means how do you plan for individual children's next steps...

The regardless bit suggests individual...

So you observe and assess for children's current knowledge, learning styles, schemas, interests etc... you add in things parents and other settings tell you... you listen to and watch the child...

You do your assessments of your observations and decide to provide the child with... what?

Maybe extra resources... a new way of looking at something... books to enhance his enjoyment of the subject... an outing relevant to an interest...

Sure you can think of more - good luck finishing! :D

la-la
22-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Thank you Sarah. I think I am so aware of repeating myself now it is difficult to say what I've already said in a different way but that has given me some inspiration, thank you.

sarah707
22-08-2009, 06:41 PM
If you have already answered the question, refer the reader to the answer and move on!

They don't want to read things twice any more than you want to write them again! :D