PDA

View Full Version : CALLING EVERYONE WHO WORKS WITH ANOTHER CHILDMINDER!!

butterfly
22-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Hiya! I'm debating expanding my business due to demand and have a friend who wants to work with me. To start with we were thinking of her being an assistant but i don't think it will be financially viable as she'll be working 27 hrs per week and therefore i will have to be her employer and pay ni and tax etc.

now we're wondering about her registering in her own right and workin alongside me and we have some questions. if i list them 'd be glad of anyone filling in anything they have an answer for!!!

1. does she still register in her home even though she'll work in mine?

No she registers at your address. It might take them a while to get their heads around it, but they will get there eventually!

2. will we tell ofsted we're working together out of one home?

Yes

3. will she automatically get max numbers as well as my numbers even if we're in the same house?

No nothing is automatic. Plus if she does get more you will have to apply for planning permission

4. do you register children with one or other of you or just with the company?

I do it on joint contracts then if one of us is ill, the other can take over as we are always within numbers (stayed at 6 because of planning permission issues)

5. how do you work out the pay? does anyone take more than their partner as it's their home/electricity/food etc?

The business gets in xxx a month, out of that the business pays a set amount to Nige who works with me. I take what is left.

We have a contract which sets out exactly what his terms are and what he gets paid per hour he works with me.

6. can you alter the way you split the children between you if you gain permission from parents? ie could she stay with some asleep while ido the school run as long as we're both within our individula ratios? and if we had less children could i ust work with the children while she has the day off?

If the other person is a childminder (done ICP etc) and is working on joint insurance and joint contracts then yes, I believe you can with written parental permission. Assistants is different as you know.

Your contract would need to say what happens if she has time off - would teh business be expected to pay her? If so, how much? What about if she is ill? What about if her 'children' are ill if you do not go for joint contracts?

Also be sure that parents know who the key worker is, even if the contracts are joint.

7. how do you organise holidays? i usually take 4 weeks so would we just shut for 4 weeks a year rather than both of us take 4 weeks off seperately totally 8 weeks when we might not be able to take some children?

Dunno, I take my hols with Nige. It is something you will need to decide together I think...

8. how do you do your accounts regarding splitting the money etc?

The business earns xxx; Nige takes yyy; I am left with zzz. The business is my home so the home expenses come off my income. Nige buys things for his children - resources etc - and that comes out of his income. He also has travelling expenses as we tend to use his bigger car for outings.

9. how do inspections work as we'd be on different inspection cycles? would they continue to inspect and grade us seperately or would they link us toegther?

They said they might do us together next time, last time we had 2 separate ones. We will still be graded independently.

hope that al makes sense and i'm sure i'll have more questions! any answers are gratefully received! thanks!!

Hope that helps :D

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-08-2009, 05:29 PM
My answers would all be the same as Sarah's xxx

Pauline
22-08-2009, 08:57 PM
In answer to a few questions - I think Sarah meant to answer separately not to edit the original post. :)

sarah707
22-08-2009, 09:00 PM
:o Oops sorry!

I've had wine! :laughing:

Pauline
22-08-2009, 09:02 PM
:o Oops sorry!

I've had wine! :laughing:

Careful, last time that happened I deleted all the pinned threads :laughing:

Pauline
22-08-2009, 09:02 PM
did I really confess to that :D

sarah707
22-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Careful, last time that happened I deleted all the pinned threads :laughing:

:eek: :eek: :laughing:

ORKSIE
22-08-2009, 10:43 PM
did I really confess to that :D

NO Now we know the truth:laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
22-08-2009, 10:45 PM
:) It sounds like too much hassle, taking on another childminder to work in the same home as you,.. doesn't it? that's just my opinion.
Does it sound alright for you, hun?x

butterfly
24-08-2009, 08:49 AM
i still don't know!

it seems to me i will need to gain planning permission if we go over 6 chn under 8 whether she's a childminder or assistant - is that right?

it also isn't certain that we'd get our numbers increased any way!

if she registered in her own right, in her own home and choose to work at mine some of the time would I have to inform ofsted or gain planning permission?

Pauline
24-08-2009, 11:55 AM
if she registered in her own right, in her own home and choose to work at mine some of the time would I have to inform ofsted or gain planning permission?

Yes you would as far as I know. A friend of mine once planned this but the council wouldn't give them planning permission because they lived in a cul de sac and they said parking would be an issue.

:)