PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed about lack of communication

louised
22-08-2009, 07:58 AM
I've just found out through a third party that our local pre-school has increased their sessions from 2 1/2 hours to 3. Two of my mindees start pre-school in 2 weeks time and neither parent has mentioned this to me despite the fact that the 2 mindees are attending different sessions, one in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Morning session now finishes at 12 with afternoon session starting at 12.30. I live 15 minutes from the school which means I would arrive home at 12.15 and have to go straight back out in order to get mindee there for 12.30, when do they suggest mindees eat lunch, outside the school gates?

Not sure what to do now, just don't understand parents, they expect us to be mindreaders, it's the same with holidays, when ever I have planned holidays i give them as much written notice as possible, last time it was over a years notice, I never have written notice off them and sometimes don't find out until the day before their holidays!

Minstrel
22-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Could it be thats its optional and they have chosen not to take it up?

The nursery my son is about to start have increased to 3 hours, but the extra half hour before/after the session is a lunch club which is optional, so they can come for the 2 and half hour play or the 3 hour play and lunch. does that make sense?

Rosiemay
22-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hello - my son's nursery have changed their hours too. Now 9 - 12 (although you have until 9:15 to arrive because of school drop offs). It's not optional though.

Hope you manage to sort it out!
Rosie x

mummyroysof3
22-08-2009, 10:00 AM
the nursey my son goes to have increased their sessions to 3 hours 8.30-11.30 and 12.30-3.30

not looking forward to leaving the house at 8.15 through the winter:laughing:

charlotte x

louised
22-08-2009, 10:24 AM
As far as I know it's not optional, it means having to give 1 mindee his lunch at about 11am and the others theirs at 1pm which is just ridiculous, I'm so annoyed I feel like giving them both notice. Both sets of parents have known since May what the hours were, I even asked one of them the other day what time the session finished and she said she didn't know! I'm definately requesting that they bring their own packed lunch from now on as I cook from scratch and there is no way I'm going to have time to do it anymore

Gherkin
22-08-2009, 11:34 AM
It could be that they have opted into pathfinder where the alloted hours children are eligable for have gone from 12.5hrs to 15 hrs pw. They do that in this area.

Goatgirl
22-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Hiya,
It sounds like you need to write a letter to all parents reminding them that you need 4 weeks (or whatever) notice of any holidays or changes to daily routines / contracted hours. I'd be tempted to write out a policy and attach it. Also remind them that you give them notice and appreciate them showing you the same consideration ( but more politely than that, lol, can't make ny brain work today ). Wouldnt hurt to point out that you need the time to consider WHETHER it is possible to accommodate their changing needs.
Sounds like you are being taken for granted, but to be fair, if you don't point this out to, it just wont have ocurred to many parents. They just don't think about it.
Hope this is of some help, I have a 'fuzzy' head today..
bws, wendy :-)

buildingblocks
22-08-2009, 06:51 PM
If I was you I would wait until the preschool goes back then pick up and drop off at the old time as no-one has bothered to tell you otherwise. (that's me being mean and putting parents out)

The other option is to say to the parents that you are unable to cover both sessions of the pre school due to the new times and that if they had bothered to liaise with you as the EYFS suggests then they could have informed you of the changes but unfortunately you will only be able to cover the am/pm session (whichever you prefer to cover) as covering both sessions will not be practicable - I certainly wouldn't be doing two lunches do you have other children this will affect

(my preschool when I picked up were great and gave my minded children priority for the morning sessions as they knew I couldn't pick up from them in the afternoon)

rickysmiths
22-08-2009, 11:55 PM
As far as I know it's not optional, it means having to give 1 mindee his lunch at about 11am and the others theirs at 1pm which is just ridiculous, I'm so annoyed I feel like giving them both notice. Both sets of parents have known since May what the hours were, I even asked one of them the other day what time the session finished and she said she didn't know! I'm definately requesting that they bring their own packed lunch from now on as I cook from scratch and there is no way I'm going to have time to do it anymore

It is optional because no child in the UK has to go to school until they start in Reception when they are just 5 or rising 5. Pre-school is not complsory schooling.

I have a mindee continuing at pre-school in September. Instead of two mornings they will be doing two full days 9am-3.15pm I ahve made it very clear to the parents that because I do regular drop off and pick up from my local school that I will drop off at pre-school as soon as possible in the morning and I will pick up at 3pm so I can do the school pick up at 3.15.

I was at a Candle party tonight and got talking to a mum who has a child at the same pre-school telling of my dilema. Her reaction, ' oh tons of parents drop late and pick up early so they can do the school run'.

If the mindees are with you is there any reason why they can't both go to the same session?

peanuts
23-08-2009, 05:36 AM
when my dd went to afternoon nursery it started at 12. lunch had to be something at 11.30 just before we left for 10 min walk to nursery. it was always something light like a sandwich. i ate lunch with her and hated having to eat so early. i was so glad when she finnished nursery pm sessions.

louised
23-08-2009, 09:34 AM
If the mindees are with you is there any reason why they can't both go to the same session?

I'm sure if the situation had been brought to my attention I could have liased with the nursery and parents and we could have come up with a solution, but this is my first time having mindees going to pre-school so it's all new to me and the parents know this as their children were my first mindees