PDA

View Full Version : Providing Nursery Education

sdean
21-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I have just completed my application to join the local NCMA Childminding Network and have been awarded accredited status to provide Nursery Education 15 hrs.

I am thinking of drawing down funding for my own little girl and was wondering what everyone thinks. Will I be doing the best for her or would she be better going to school for her 15 hours??

Has anyone done nursery education? How do you find it??

Thanks in anticipation of any help!! :blush:

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Congratulations on your accredited status:clapping:

If you want to do it for your LO, I am not sure how it works for your own (if you would be able to get teh funding) but if you can I don't see why you couldn't be sucessful in providing the nursery education bit for her.
There are several home educators on here as well so perhaps they can advise:thumbsup:

sdean
21-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes I can get the funding I have checked that. Just want to make sure I am opting for the best option. Given the choice if I were a parent I think I would opt for a CM to do her nursery ed but not sure if she would be better going to someone else - such a hard decision - you just want the best for them don't u!

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Absolutely and I think its a wonderful thing that you can get the funding for your daughter as well:jump for joy: where better for your dd than with you:clapping:

At the end of teh day you can but try it - if its not working out then you can consider your options:thumbsup:

sdean
21-08-2009, 09:24 PM
that is true, she would be due to start in Jan and then do the rest of the year to july and then another full year so even if I did the first year and then decided whether to put her into school for the second if I thought she needed it - just feel I can offer a varied quality curriculum and experience far more environments and social challenges in my care!! Lots to think about I think!

youarewhatyoueat
21-08-2009, 10:31 PM
You could always do shared care 2 with you and 3 at a playgroup, best of both then.

Gherkin
21-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm accredited and last term I claimed for my daughter for the total 15hrs pw as she has not got a place at preschool til Sept at which point pre-school will claim 9hrs and I will claim the other 6 hrs.

Adiamond
22-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Sorry to jump in but am I right in thinking that to be able to get the nursery funding you have to do your level 3?
I only ask this because my childminding co-ordinator keeps pushing me to do the level 3 :mad: and I keep saying that I am still finding my feet and maybe next year I will think about doing it!!!!
But after reading this thread about NCMA and becoming accredited I am totally confused :blush:
Someone please explain :) :)
Thank you x x x

sdean
22-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I am in Leeds and we have to have had our first ofsted, have a level 3 or be working towards it and then complete some paperwork through our network co-ordinator and she does some visits and that is it really - much easier than I had anticipated.

I think it is harder to convince parents that we do as good a job if not better than a school nursery ! But that will come in time and in our area the 2 yr old provision is supposed to be coming in so I didn't want to miss out on that really.

I did the Diploma in Home based Childcare through NEC - started in November and posted my last assignment yesterday. It didn't take as much work as I had anticipated but you are allowed 2 years to complete it.

I have learnt a lot from it and it has changed my practices in some places - I can understand why they want you to be doing it to be accredited.

Pipsqueak
22-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I am in Leeds and we have to have had our first ofsted, have a level 3 or be working towards it and then complete some paperwork through our network co-ordinator and she does some visits and that is it really - much easier than I had anticipated.

I think it is harder to convince parents that we do as good a job if not better than a school nursery ! But that will come in time and in our area the 2 yr old provision is supposed to be coming in so I didn't want to miss out on that really.

I did the Diploma in Home based Childcare through NEC - started in November and posted my last assignment yesterday. It didn't take as much work as I had anticipated but you are allowed 2 years to complete it.

I have learnt a lot from it and it has changed my practices in some places - I can understand why they want you to be doing it to be accredited.

What a lovely upbeat post:clapping: :clapping:
We can't get accreditation here but we have a network that works to the same criteria and we are piling pressure on the council to pay for the co-ordinator so we can be a CCF network.
The 2yr old provision is coming in here too and we (the network) are in line for it too

wellybelly
22-08-2009, 09:06 AM
I start my accreditation process in September, looking forward to it because all the nurserys in my area are full. I'm not sure if the places for 2 year olds is in my area though. Anyone know where I can find out that information?

wellybelly
22-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Sorry another question: how do you get paid, and when do you get paid? Is it by the local authority and is it monthly?

sdean
22-08-2009, 11:55 AM
we get it termly I think - I know it is 80% at the start and the other 20% at the end . We get different rates depending on how we offer it - just mornings, part flexible or fully flexible - the more flexible you are with it the more you get paid.

It is such a shame there is not a standard way of working it across the country rather than by local authority.

hello kitty
22-08-2009, 09:06 PM
In Norfolk it is paid monthly in arrears at a rate of £3.38.

The Juggler
25-08-2009, 07:25 AM
What a lovely upbeat post:clapping: :clapping:
We can't get accreditation here but we have a network that works to the same criteria and we are piling pressure on the council to pay for the co-ordinator so we can be a CCF network.
The 2yr old provision is coming in here too and we (the network) are in line for it too

same here. our LA are currently looking for a DO to start up the network which was disbanded several years ago. They are looking for an EYPS qualified so we should get someone good hopefully.