PDA

View Full Version : Minding family rawhhhh

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-08-2009, 07:47 PM
hi guys

Some of you know that i cm alongside my mum who is also a registered cm.
We have been looking after my sisters son for a year. Her hubby X's dad is a driving instructor

So a year ago when he was just starting out we told them to pay us £2.00 phr (I know some of you may think we are mean for charging family but he does take up a full time place) are usually fee is £4.50 phr. this was meant to be a short term plan whilst x's dad got set up.

Well one yr on his work is still all over the place and is still paying us £2.00 phr. What annoys me most is the fact he hasnt got the best work ethic in the world, doesnt try very hard to get work etc.

So not only do we only have X for about 15 hours a week we have to keep a full time place open as we dont know when these hours will be, we are also only getting paid £2.00 an hour for it.

Hope you are all following me......stick with it

Come January we are taking on a sibling which means between 8am-11am we are over our numbers. do u think it is a reasonable request to ask X's dad to only book lessons on certains days and after 11am. because they are family my mum doesnt want to cause any arguements but i think it is a perfectly reasonable request

Princess Sara
21-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Either that or start paying the full £4.50

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

zillervalley
21-08-2009, 08:07 PM
its hard when its family or friends, but i dont think it is unreasonable at all, after al if you were not a cm they would be paing a lot more than that

ziller

buildingblocks
21-08-2009, 08:14 PM
hi guys Some of you know that i cm alongside my mum who is also a registered cm.We have been looking after my sisters son for a year. Her hubby X's dad is a driving instructor So a year ago when he was just starting out we told them to pay us £2.00 phr (I know some of you may think we are mean for charging family but he does take up a full time place) are usually fee is £4.50 phr. this was meant to be a short term plan whilst x's dad got set up.

Well one yr on his work is still all over the place and is still paying us £2.00 phr. What annoys me most is the fact he hasnt got the best work ethic in the world, doesnt try very hard to get work etc.
I always find that it is family and friends that take liberties with you

So not only do we only have X for about 15 hours a week we have to keep a full time place open as we dont know when these hours will be, we are also only getting paid £2.00 an hour for it. I would say to him that it was only meant as a short term situation and that things need reassessing are you due a contract review where you could bring it up rather than making a point of it. Most of us have made judgements like this at some point or other in our careers and then found it comes back to bite you in the bum. After things that have happened to me I would never ever take on a friend again - thankfully no family that would be needing my service

Hope you are all following me......stick with it

Come January we are taking on a sibling which means between 8am-11am we are over our numbers. do u think it is a reasonable request to ask X's dad to only book lessons on certains days and after 11am. because they are family my mum doesnt want to cause any arguements but i think it is a perfectly reasonable request

You have two choices you need a variation or don't do it. You cannot go over your numbers it is not worth risking your registrations for (unless I have misunderstood what you were saying in which case sorry) As you say the other alternative is to say the space is not available until !!am but I would make it 11.30 just to allow for a child being picked up late.

hope all that makes some sense

westbrom44
21-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I would say you need to get a variation if possible. Otherwise, yes you can only have the child in the hours it suits you, especially as it was supposed to be temporary.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Im waiting to hear from ofsted about a variation, there is no way i would go over my numbers.

I just feel like i am doing my sister and bro in law a favour in the first place and the least they can do is work around my numbers.

My nephew is not an easy child to look after he is very demanding and volitile, this week he has scratched a mindee in the face and drawn blood and bit another mindee.

I seem to have less patience with him being family than i do with my other mindees

Pipsqueak
21-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Blooming heck I don't think you are mean for charging family I think you are a saint for charging so little! I would have been charging my full rate - even to family!! lol

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-08-2009, 09:16 PM
it was only meant to be a favour for a few weeks whilst they got back on their feet. 1 yr later im still waiting

sdean
21-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't think you are mean at all. I have been looking after my cousins little boy for a year and I charged her as normal - slightly less. She is on maternity now and I do occasional care but only if I have space and it fits in - don't think it is unreasonable to only offer certain hours - particularly at only £2 ph - we are all so hard on ourselves sometimes arn't we!
:)