PDA

View Full Version : kittens kids and dogs!!

mushpea
21-08-2009, 03:46 PM
does anyone on here have a cat if so how does it work with childminding, do ofsted mind or have any rules on it? i guess i need to keep the food and litter tray out of the way and think of hygiene such as handwashing ect which is all what we do with the dog anyway.
one of my mindees grandparents have had kittens (well her cat has:laughing: ) and we are thinking of having one but i have never owned a cat so any information on owning one would be great ie do they need a basket to sleep in or do they sleep anywhere, what food should i give it, when can they go outside, how do i teach it road sense:laughing: , seriously though any tips would be great, also any tips on how to introduce it to the dog and make sure it dosent get eaten:eek: , our labrador is 3yrs old and is used to children, rabbits and guinea pigs but not cats, he did meet one on a walk once , the cat just stood there so he went and had a sniff then the cat hissed and he ran away:laughing: , he is very docile and is submisive to every dog he meets, he is also very dopey and brill with the kids and dosent attempt to eat our rabbit when it escapes althoug he does like to chase it:rolleyes:
any way any info of any of the above gratefully recived thanks

jaja
21-08-2009, 03:53 PM
we have three, two adults and one kitten.... ofsted are fine as long as food, litter and water are not in reach of children and they are wormed and flead reg...

when you first get a ktten they spend the first several weeks inside, until they have had all the jabs then they are allowed out, first for ten minutes and then extend the time over time, always put them out hungry and then feed on return, they always come back! lol.... they have road sense and chasing ect its very rewarding haveing kittens and cats and ofsted are fine with it..... have fun with yours

xxxxx

sweets
21-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi its not a prob with ofsted as long as you follow the basic hygine rules. Its generally good for them to have a basket as its a place where they can go to get away! they love holes and dark places so one thosebaskets that are semi enclosed would be good. when you pick it up ask the owners what they have been feeding it and stick to the same brand at least for a while.
by the sound of your dog i'm sure it will be fine with it, the Kitten will be boss in no time! lol. good luck kittens are great fun but can also do a bit of damage to your house!

Twinkles
21-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I agree with what has already been said about hygiene and worming etc.

As for where will it sleep - wherever it wants ! Mine prefer a basket of clean washing if they can get it - especially if they have muddy paws.

Have fun :thumbsup:

elaineg
21-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I had my dog for three years before we got a kitten, they are fine the kitten is the boss, they fight sometimes usually over which one is going to be next to the fire, or if the dog has a bone. But its not serious its more the dog snapping and the kitten bopping the dog on the nose. They are best friends though and curl up together at night to go to sleep and they are always licking and cleaning each other, so it can work. Ofsted were fine with me having a dog a kitten and a rabbit, my daughter now wants tropical fish not too sure about that though. If anyone has fish and a cat I would be interested in how that works.

love Elaine XX

michellethegooner
21-08-2009, 04:48 PM
we have a dog, cat fish, budgie & a terrapin, ofsted were fine with my pets as long as food etc is out of way, garden is checked daily for any presents including baby birds or mice :eek:

the dog & cat are very friendly & do the whole licking each other and sleeping together and our dog was 8 when we got our kitten and had never been around cats except chasing them when she saw them lol. the cat takes no notice of the fish but does have a go at trying to reach the budgie cage occasionally

our cat sleeps where he likes usually with the dog in 1 of the kids bedrooms never slept in his cat basket so I got rid

LOOPYLISA
21-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Trust me the kitten will be boss :clapping:

My cats (we have 3) love to sleep on the bed during the day, although one has taken to sleeping on the stairs :laughing:

Once he/she has had jabs they can go outside, oooo i want another one boo :D

Oh and our youngest cat has taken to sleeping on the guinea pig cage, they love them :rolleyes:

zillervalley
21-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I have had cats all my married life, and childminding life 23yrs, i have never had any bother with them, i have three by the way, the cats i must admit are out of the house most of the time (there choice) ofsted have never had any remark about them.

whem parents phone i always sat i have a dog and three cats, just in case the parents have a issue or children have allergies etc,

ziller

OrlandoBelle
21-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Our cat, Caeser and dog, Jacob are best mates. When the Caesar comes in at night Jacob sniffs him all over it's like he's checking its the right cat or something. Then they roll around on the living room floor together. If the cat gets wet in the rain then Jacob licks him all over til he's dry and the cat sits their purring with his eyes closed! It's so cute. When DH walks Jacob at night, Caesar HAS to go with them or he'll sit at the door meowing his head off!

Cats are the easiest animals to keep IMO. All they need is food and water and they pretty much look after themselves. Our cat comes and goes as he pleases. He sleeps in our wardrobe all day and comes down every night at 5pm. You can set your watch by him. He has his dinner and then goes out at night and comes in strutting his stuff a few hours later! He is definitely the boss!

As others have said, as long as you keep the food bowl and cat litter tray away from the children, Ofsted will be fine about you having a cat. They are lovely affectionate pets. You must be really excited!:D

zillervalley
21-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Our cat, Caeser and dog, Jacob are best mates. When the Caesar comes in at night Jacob sniffs him all over it's like he's checking its the right cat or something. Then they roll around on the living room floor together. If the cat gets wet in the rain then Jacob licks him all over til he's dry and the cat sits their purring with his eyes closed! It's so cute. When DH walks Jacob at night, Caesar HAS to go with them or he'll sit at the door meowing his head off!

Cats are the easiest animals to keep IMO. All they need is food and water and they pretty much look after themselves. Our cat comes and goes as he pleases. He sleeps in our wardrobe all day and comes down every night at 5pm. You can set your watch by him. He has his dinner and then goes out at night and comes in strutting his stuff a few hours later! He is definitely the boss!

As others have said, as long as you keep the food bowl and cat litter tray away from the children, Ofsted will be fine about you having a cat. They are lovely affectionate pets. You must be really excited!:D

ha mine are just the same, my friend has two dogs and their is always trouble in there house , friend cant believe the calm ness in our betweeen cats and dog.

ziller

LeeAnn
21-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I have one, my CCO said it was ok as I had done my risk assessments. She is an indoor cat and so has a litter tray. I just said I would use education and supervision with thses items and agreed that if it became a prob with a mindee or if I had a baby mindee , then i would put a gate on the kitchen door.

Noone in there right mind would want to touch a litter tray though :eek:

mushpea
21-08-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks for all the advice etc i feel quite reasured, now i just have to convince the OH:D
how do you deal with kittens scratching the children? i look after 6yrold,5yrold 3yrold and 22month old then a 9mnt old starting in september, the older ones i can speak to and explain things too and all four older children have cats at home anyway but i do know that the 3yrold regulary picks hers up and puts them in prams etc which is cute but i wouldnt allow that here, the 9 month old i just wouldnt allow near the cat probably but it does concern me that they will go home scratched, do i need to inform ofsted we are getting a cat? the dog was here when i registered as where the rabbits, gerbils, fish and giant land snails and guineapigs. hmm wont need to go to the zoo if i carry on like this:laughing:
oh and i have a pet policy and permision form to help care for the pets but do i need a seperate one for the cat?

mammumof4
22-08-2009, 03:59 PM
hi, we have a labrador pup. he is 12 weeks now, i didnt have him when i registererd, do i need to inform ofsted?? only just thought about this :eek: im not minding yet, i will be looking after some after some after school kidies in september.

anyway back to your post! sorry. i wouldnt worry to much about the cat, OFSTED will be fine, just make sure you tell parents incase of allergies ect. as for scratching the kids, im not sure about that one.my puppy likes to bite at the moment due to his age and it does hurt at times so i will be keeping him away from the kids for now, i will only be having 2 after schoolers for 2 hours, 2 days a week so isnt a problem. for now anyway!:eek:

nannymcflea
22-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Can't help you with the cat advice...but do put a piccie on if you get one...they are soooo sweet:D

mushpea
22-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Can't help you with the cat advice...but do put a piccie on if you get one...they are soooo sweet:D

will have a go but it depends on wether i can work out how to do it and if i can convince the OH to get one:rolleyes: apparently he put his foot in cat sick when younger and it put hiim off cats for life, not sure wether to :rolleyes: or :laughing: at him:D

tinkerbelle
22-08-2009, 09:01 PM
i had 4 cats and now have a dog plus one of my cats had 2 lots of 6 kittens (couldnt catch her to have her done ) as long as the litter tray was kept away from the mindees it was fine kids and parents loved the kittens and enjoyed watching them grow only have th one cat now as moved house one died of leukemia(sp) and 2 refused to stay at new house so no need f0or a litter tray
i am looking at another cat and a dog as mine have fit straight in so get one and enjoy x

ORKSIE
22-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I cant help you with the dogs but I have 2 cats.
i is old, and miserable and quite intollerant of Lo's. i explaain this to parents and tell then i make sure Mindees dont "Mess" with her...They are all ok with this, and say that Lo's have to respect her..She's grumpy:laughing:

The other is still a baby... nearly 3 and very playful still.
Both cats to be fair stay out of the way of Mindees, so there has been no problems:thumbsup: