PDA

View Full Version : planning permission for more than 6 under 5?

butterfly
21-08-2009, 01:51 PM
can anyone clarify whether you need planning permission for more than 6 children under 5?

what would this be for?

rickysmiths
21-08-2009, 01:56 PM
You will need to speak to your local planning dept. Usually you do and I don't think it is a problem maybe takes a bit of time and can cost a few hundred pounds.
There are others on here who have done it so they will be able to give more details.

sarah707
21-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I was told if I upped my numbers I would have to apply because I am changing use of my house.

It would have cost me £300.

They would write to my neighbours to check whether they minded me having extra children, noise, disruption etc.

They would then hold a meeting to decide what to do.

I decided I don't want my neighbours knowing my business, so I didn't go for it.

Hth :D

gigglinggoblin
21-08-2009, 02:01 PM
We need to apply for change of use to have 6 children under 14, including my own. £350 and as sarah said, I didnt think it was worth it.

Lincsminder
21-08-2009, 03:41 PM
how do you find out if you have to apply for it though.Our council charge £65 for advice so I would have to pay that for them to advise me if i need it or not.

youarewhatyoueat
21-08-2009, 05:31 PM
We need to apply for change of use to have 6 children under 14, including my own. £350 and as sarah said, I didnt think it was worth it.

Am I being thick, but why do you need to do that for 6 children under 14.

rickysmiths
21-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Am I being thick, but why do you need to do that for 6 children under 14.

I was wondering that. iIthought it was only if you go over 6 ie have7+ under 8s.

zillervalley
21-08-2009, 06:11 PM
i never knew this rule existed doed it differ from bourgh to bourgh, we have never been advised to look into this ,

ziller

wellybelly
21-08-2009, 06:15 PM
My husband maybe joinging me childminding and we are going to apply for planning permission if/when he does so we can work together. I'd expected it to be about £300 and am prepared to pay it. I

The Juggler
23-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I was wondering that. iIthought it was only if you go over 6 ie have7+ under 8s.

OMG I have 8 children under 14, for an hour after school, three days per week in September. Also for two years have occasionally had 7 in the school holidays always within the age restriction.

Should I have applied for planning. I had no idea!

Playmate
23-08-2009, 04:13 PM
If you have 2 childminders working together under one roof and you can still only care for 6 children under the age of 8 unless you get a variation from ofsted. This is because your local council will class you as a nursery. Therefore if you want to continue to offer care for 5 -8's (and over) you will need a variation fro Ofsted which will only be granted if your local council give permission.

We wrote to our council explaining that all we wanted to do was offer continuity of care as our children reach school age and the extra numbers were only for 2-3 hours a day and during school holidays and after a few phone calls and a little pushing we were finally granted 3, 5-8's as well as our 6 under 5. It is worth doing a little arguing as we were told we would need planning permission, which required us having plans drawn up e.t.c!

I think if you are a minder on your own who has 3 under 5, 3 5 -8's and a couple of big ones it appears to be acceptable. What the LC doesn't know won't hurt them :D
Hth

The Juggler
24-08-2009, 09:30 AM
If you have 2 childminders working together under one roof and you can still only care for 6 children under the age of 8 unless you get a variation from ofsted. This is because your local council will class you as a nursery. Therefore if you want to continue to offer care for 5 -8's (and over) you will need a variation fro Ofsted which will only be granted if your local council give permission.

We wrote to our council explaining that all we wanted to do was offer continuity of care as our children reach school age and the extra numbers were only for 2-3 hours a day and during school holidays and after a few phone calls and a little pushing we were finally granted 3, 5-8's as well as our 6 under 5. It is worth doing a little arguing as we were told we would need planning permission, which required us having plans drawn up e.t.c!

I think if you are a minder on your own who has 3 under 5, 3 5 -8's and a couple of big ones it appears to be acceptable. What the LC doesn't know won't hurt them :D
Hth

Phew. Thanks!

Mrs.L.C
31-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Ofsted have just changed my numbers for wehn working with an assistant to 10 under 8s of which we can have 6 under 5 and never mentioned anything about planning permission so alittle confused and worried now

rickysmiths
31-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't think it is up to Ofsted to mention this it is up to you to do it.

My understanding that you will need planning permission to have more thay 6 under 8s in your home even if you have an assistant.

This is because you are working from a domestic premises. If you don't apply for this permission you could find that you are not insured, you are breaking the terms of the Deeds on your home and therefore could have problems with your Mortgage company. Ofsted may also need evidence that you have permission when they next inspect.

You also should be aware that if you get planning permission and have the higher number of children, when you sell your house you will be subject to Capital Gains Tax on some of the value of your home in proportion to the business you run.

You need to phone your Local Planning Dept in the morning and ask the question.

Then I would work out the maths as to wether it is worth the approx £300 planning fee, plus the Capital Gains Tax bill , plus the cost of employing an assisstant (if they earn ovr £95pw you have to Employ them they can't be self employed)

Sorry to be so negative so to speak but I think we have to take responsibility, Ofsted are only the Regulator not and advisor. Thats why this forum is so great. There are other threads all about this as well which you may find useful. Good luck.

Lincsminder
31-08-2009, 05:48 PM
ive just checked with our local council and it says

Working from home
You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The key test is whether the overall character of the home will change as a result of a business being conducted from the property. If the answer to any of the following questions is yes, then permission will probably be needed.

Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private home?
Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

Whatever business you carry out from your home - whether it involves using part of it as a bedsit or for bed-and-breakfast accommodation, using a room as your personal office, providing a childminding service, using rooms for dressmaking or music teaching, using buildings in the garden for repairing cars or storing goods connected with a business – the key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become a business premises?

so i would say permission isn't needed cause it remains mainly a residental dwelling.

mum2two
31-08-2009, 06:48 PM
When DH started working with me, I was told to write to the council & ask if I needed planning permission, so I did.

This was last July/Aug time. I had a letter back saying something along the lines of, 'there is a backlog, and it may take some time to respond to you'. Still heard nothing - and we are working together, which they know about!!!

x

FizzysFriends
31-08-2009, 07:07 PM
ive just checked with our local council and it says

Working from home
You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The key test is whether the overall character of the home will change as a result of a business being conducted from the property. If the answer to any of the following questions is yes, then permission will probably be needed.

Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private home?
Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

Whatever business you carry out from your home - whether it involves using part of it as a bedsit or for bed-and-breakfast accommodation, using a room as your personal office, providing a childminding service, using rooms for dressmaking or music teaching, using buildings in the garden for repairing cars or storing goods connected with a business – the key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become a business premises?

so i would say permission isn't needed cause it remains mainly a residental dwelling.

I would have said yes to the rise in traffic to your house, unless they collect on foot.

Lincsminder
31-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I would have said yes to the rise in traffic to your house, unless they collect on foot.

mmm i thought about this one quite a bit, what would you consider a rise in traffic. A few cars droping children off am then collecting again pm prob wouldn't be seen as a rise in traffic compared to someone with a buisness with 20min appointments so cars comming and going all day. I think this is going to really boil down to your local council.

rickysmiths
31-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I think the key is to as your council because there are members on here who have had to get Planning Permission to have more than 6 under eights.