PDA

View Full Version : Can I say no?

Miriam
21-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi

This is going to sound like a really stupid question but I have a parent coming round to visit next week and I am not sure that I want to take her child on.

She is going to be going to college, so is using a childcare grant to pay for the childminding hours. I am sure that I have read on here that these grants take ages to set up and can be a nightmare to get hold of the payment from the college. Having just got rid of one non-paying parent I dont want to have another. Also, she is starting college on 7th Sept and has only just started looking for childcare :panic: Just not sure how reliable she is going to be, again after my first disastrous parents I really dont want to get another who turns up late, doesnt bring the child spare clothes and doesnt pay...

I know I am making a big assumption that she will be hard work that is why I have arranged to meet her next week. Also I am already taking on a lo of just over 12 months 4 days a week (who has started), and a 10 month old 3 days a week (and his sister in school hols) (not started yet) so I am going to have my hands full and not sure that I really want another 15 month old to add to the mixture.

So if I meet her and just feel it is not right for me can I say no to having her child or is this anti-inclusive? What would I say to the parent?? Would it be ok to say that I just feel that it would be too many under 2's?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Part of me feels that I should have the right to turn her down, but I just dont want to get into hot water here.

Hebs
21-08-2009, 01:16 PM
tell her you have a meeting with another parent so will let her know once you've met both of them :thumbsup:

michellethegooner
21-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I always tell all of the parents that I feel are going to be hard work that I have another parent 2 c and if I get a bad vibe or we just dont click I contact them and tell them I've filled the space :rolleyes:

Miriam
21-08-2009, 01:36 PM
thanks for the advice - simple really!

Will meet her and see what I think, but realistically think it may just be too much hard work - a 10 month, 12 and a bit month and 15 month!!! :panic:

brightstar
21-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know if the rules are the same for you, but i'm only allowed 3 under 5's, of which no more than 2 can be under 18 months?

Minstrel
21-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't know if the rules are the same for you, but i'm only allowed 3 under 5's, of which no more than 2 can be under 18 months?

Under Ofsted it ' no more than 3 under 5 of which no more than 1 under 1'

I am in a similar situation, I have agreed to take on a little one that frankly i'm not sure about. Shes a living tornado! Mum seemed a bit wet about telling her no and aparently she goes to bed at midnight and is a terrible eater. Its part time to begin with going to full time when/if she settles. I'm scared!

Adiamond
24-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I was in this situation a little while ago, I agreed to take on 2 children from the same family but my gut feeling was saying too much hassle, mum was a nightmare and the kids were not very well behaved!!!!!!
I decided not to go with this family and what a relief it was after I had told her.
So my advice would be to go with your gut instinct :) x x x

rickysmiths
24-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Under Ofsted it ' no more than 3 under 5 of which no more than 1 under 1'

I am in a similar situation, I have agreed to take on a little one that frankly i'm not sure about. Shes a living tornado! Mum seemed a bit wet about telling her no and aparently she goes to bed at midnight and is a terrible eater. Its part time to begin with going to full time when/if she settles. I'm scared!

Oh my goodness that sounds like a living nightmare:eek:

I think we forget at our peril sometimes that when parents visit it is always a two way process. they are interviewing me, but I am very much interviewing them. :blush:

I will not take anyone one if I dont think it will work. The priority is that that my family are happy with any potential families and they always meet them before any contracts are signed.

Minstrel
24-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh my goodness that sounds like a living nightmare:eek:

I think we forget at our peril sometimes that when parents visit it is always a two way process. they are interviewing me, but I am very much interviewing them. :blush:

I will not take anyone one if I dont think it will work. The priority is that that my family are happy with any potential families and they always meet them before any contracts are signed.

I made very clear about the four week settling in period- and made it very much about the child. IF she settles we will proceed to full time. I personally cant see this happening but we shall see. Even i told her NO whilst she was here for the wedding. - she was throwing toys around my sitting room and pushed my 3 yr old. mum just cuddled her for it :eek:

I have rules in my house and they obviously dont at home!

Mollymop
24-08-2009, 09:25 PM
i get paid from a college - It takes about 2 weeks to get your money and I get it termly - so 3 months money all at once, it is lovely!!!