PDA

View Full Version : Finger Food Meals

Louise_Oaktree
21-08-2009, 09:09 AM
As I have previously posted I have a child who has been here just a week and is struggling to settle - although I am confident he will settle given time, and the crying is getting less (I think!).

He is breast fed which I think is why he is feeling unsettled because at home if he cries he is fed :rolleyes: here if he cries nothing much happens!

He cries all the way home until Mum feeds him and although he is eating much better than expected he won't be fed anything - but is usually happy to feed himself.

He is nearly 12 months old (1st Sept).

So far he likes fish cakes, toast, cheerios, apple, bread sticks, fromage frais...that's about it. He isn't a big eater but Mum was adamant she wasn't sending food because she didn't think he would eat it - so I have said I will offer him food and if he eats it it's a bonus.

Given what he has eaten this week I think he is eating quite well, at least much better than Mum said.

I would just love some more ideas for finger food meals and although I am ok with mess it's really difficult finding time to clear up messy meals when he wants to be cuddled so much.

Also breakfast is a struggle as this is the time he is most upset so I just leave it if he doesn't want to eat - then by lunchtime he usually eats something.

sarah707
21-08-2009, 09:35 AM
By the age of one he should be eating a pretty varied diet.

He can have most things and if it's finger foods you are after then you could try doing breaded fish or chicken for him - those go down well here.

Try cubes of cheese and cut up fruit (lots of different types of fresh fruit are soft and easy to eat) for snack as well.

If you are worried about the mess get one of those cover all bibs and whip it off after the meal before cuddles... ewww I know what you mean about messy ones I have 2 at the moment!

Hth :D

katickles
21-08-2009, 09:53 AM
My mindee is a finger food eater:D

With her meals I always add either veg with cooked meals & fruit with cold meals. She loves peas with her main as she enjoys picking them up:laughing:

I agree withSarah though, he should be eating a wide variety now, so I would be encouraging more of a meal.

Maybe try cold lunches of sandwiches, you can cut them into strips & have fruit & breadsticks to go with them. Pitta bread is really easy for them too & you can put lots of different fillings with them.

Then maybe thing slike pasta for a cooked meal as thats easy for him to pick up, or some scramled egg with his toast.

Oh & i would definatly have a supplie of bibs with the catchers on the bottom!:D

pinklady
21-08-2009, 10:13 AM
My new mindee is a screamer in the highchair! The other children all had their fingers in their ears to block out the noise yesterday! M is 1 in October so a similar age to your mindee and she is happiest with finger foods too. I've already got her parents to cut out some of her bottles (she was having 4 a day :eek: ) to see if it would make her hungrier and to give her a lighter lunch i.e sandwich or something.

For her snack this morning she had humus on fingers of toast and loved it! I also dunk breadsticks into cream cheese or little cookies into yogurt or fruit pots. Veg sticks are great too & toasted pitta cut into strips. I've got to try and get spag bol into her for tea but I'll give her a bread stick to hold and maybe even a spoon if I'm feeling brave :D. Her parents put cheerios on her tray at breakfast time while they spoon cereal in.

uf353432
21-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Both my girls were baby led weaned so finger foods were introduced from weaning and by 12 months they were offered what I cooked everyone else. I would personally offer him whatever you are eating - anything can be eaten with fingers, even soup - with a big hunk of bread and a spoon. Pasta is good as well.

I know that you don't want mess - but thats how kids learn to enjoy food - maybe each meal time you could turn into a messy play experience.

A good tip is to get some cheap over sized t shirts and slip that on at meals times and then take it off at the end and wash for the next time.

Louise_Oaktree
21-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Both my girls were baby led weaned so finger foods were introduced from weaning and by 12 months they were offered what I cooked everyone else. I would personally offer him whatever you are eating - anything can be eaten with fingers, even soup - with a big hunk of bread and a spoon. Pasta is good as well.

I know that you don't want mess - but thats how kids learn to enjoy food - maybe each meal time you could turn into a messy play experience.

A good tip is to get some cheap over sized t shirts and slip that on at meals times and then take it off at the end and wash for the next time.

It's not that I don't like mess it's that due to him being very clingy I literally struggle to find 5 mins to clean everything up never mind finding time to cook food. I have tried curry & rice which was fine, but he won't eat ANYTHING from a spoon....he has a cooked tea at home and eats well but I would like him to try foods here too.

This is the 2nd one I have had that has had baby led weaning and both of them scream at the sight of a spoon :eek:

mushpea
21-08-2009, 04:21 PM
things like cheese cubes, mini sausages, toast, breadsticks, cheesy breadsticks, crackers, fruit, small bits of pizza, finger sandwichs,

fishfingers, nuggetts, sausages, pasta,

the little one i have eats anything and everything with her fingers although she is now trying to eat with a spoon and fork, she will eat spag bol or stew or even beans with her hands and she refuses to eat if you try and feed her but she will let me put stuff on her spoon then she picks the spoon up and eats it.

LeeAnn
21-08-2009, 06:35 PM
thing like carrot batons etc cooked until slightly soft

Some babies who do baby led weaning dont ever get fed with spoons etc so I would say anything that is fairly soft and a good shape should be fine for him to eat with his fingers.

Is he still exclusively breast fed? does he not eat food at home? Or does mum just think he wont eat until he is settled?

helenlc
22-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a 14 month old who I give finger foods to at lunch and some dinners.

For dinner the other night, she had breaded chicken fingers and fusilli (twists) pasta - she loved it and fed herself all of it.

For lunch, she has been having sandwiches, toast, cubes of cheese, slices of cucumber, mini sausages etc.

I use a bib with sleeves and its easy to whip off. Then I just spray the tray and wipe it clean. Job done.

I put bowls and plates on the highchair tray but she more often than not launches them off the side so I end up taking them away and she just eats them off the tray.