PDA

View Full Version : Claiming for fuel costs

little chickee
21-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I am considering taking a child that would involve me collecting him from a nursery almost 25 miles from my house a round trip of 50 miles!:eek: ( i'm a bit quiet at the moment and am looking for more mindees).

What im asking is i would need to arrange that the parent pays for the fuel costs incurred for this pickup - if she is giving me the money for the fuel can i still claim for it on my expenses?
Maybe i would be better off paying the fuel costs myself an d claiming it as expenses.

FussyElmo
21-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Thats a very long round journey!!!

Not sure about the expense side of it but long would that take you a day!!!

If you were to take it gone and then got more mindees could you work round the journey. Also what would happen if you broke down!!

Sorry dont mean to be negative:)

Minstrel
21-08-2009, 04:20 PM
As above i dont think i would even consider that journey!

But yes you can put it through your expenses so long as the money you charge the parents is also going through the books as income.

hope this helps x

rickysmiths
21-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree with the other two.

It is a very long journey for you and the mindee. What if your car breaks down, what about bad weather? I remember a few years ago when it snowed I got out of the car at my own childrens school and when we got back to the car 10mins later it was snowing so hard I couldn't clear the car properly and it took us 2.5hrs to do a 15-20min drive and it was only 4.5 miles. :eek:

It is also a big ask of other mindees.

It is not something I would even think about doing to be honest.

As far as charging- will the parent really want to pay the IR going rate of 40p per mile (£20) for each collection, plus your time from leaving home to getting back, min 45mins each way for me that would be £10 so you are talking £30 before you add any minding hours when you get home.

Whatever you charge would go in as income and then you put your mileage in as an expense at 40p per mile.

little chickee
22-08-2009, 08:56 AM
i've actually thought about it properly and you are all right - it really isn't practical so i'm not going to do it.

I think that because i would like some more mindees i'm considering everything but i suppose sometimes it is better to turn down work than end up doing something that isn't suitable

Thank You for helping me see clearly.