PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help!!!

alicia77
20-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Good evening everyone,
I have been thinking about becoming a childminder and I need some advice....
Who do I contact to do the pre reg course and how long does it take to complete??? and do you have to pay for the course???
I was also wondering if any of you manage to childmind without a car or do you find it an essential part of childminding???
Thanks in advance
Alicia
:littleangel:

MrsT333
20-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi and welcome!

I think it depends on what area you are in as to what help you may get, try ringing your local council.

This is a great site and u will find lots of valuable information

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Good evening everyone,
I have been thinking about becoming a childminder and I need some advice....
Who do I contact to do the pre reg course and how long does it take to complete??? and do you have to pay for the course???
I was also wondering if any of you manage to childmind without a car or do you find it an essential part of childminding???
Thanks in advance
Alicia

Well you have done the best thing possible finding this site

You contact your local authority Childcare info service they have just changed name here and I can't for the life of me think what it is.

I sort of childmind without a car (hubby drives and is around some of the time button the whole I manage quite well. I do feel sometimes the children miss out on trips further afield e.g. trip to meet childminders from her at Blyton, etc.

Good luck

zillervalley
20-08-2009, 11:06 PM
hi you will be glad you found this site its brill,

you will have to contact your nearest childrens centre i think

i dont drive, my dh is around sometimes has worked shifts in the past, i have minded for 23yrs now and it has worked well for me not having a car or should i say not driving

ziller

ZoeAlli
21-08-2009, 10:55 AM
hi Alicia, welcome to the forum!
If you are wanting information about childminding you could contact your local Families Information Service, or Children's centre, or you could go on the NCMA website and download their booklet "Become a registered Childminder", on page 8 there are some links to find out more and contacts to become registered!
In our area you can get a bursary to help with setting up and courses.
I use my car as we are rural based, but try not to use it where possible. If you have access to a range of resources such as outdoor play, community activities I am sure you will be ok not using a car!
HTH

LittleAcorns
21-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, I dont drive and walk a mile to the local school!!! and with a lunch time drop off, thats 6 miles walking a day...the kids love it, ok if its raining it can be a pain, but I very quickly adapted to making sure everyone has water proofs, wellies :D :D theres also a very reliable bus service have a look at what is local to you?! it can be a little lonely "thats why Im often found in this lovely "forum Staffroom!!" :eek:

OrlandoBelle
21-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Alicia. Welcome to the forum :D Where abouts are you from?

I don't have a car at the moment either. I admit it does make life a little harder - especially in the rain and snow, and it does limit you to what schools you can collect from. But I live within walking distance of my local school, lakes, park, etc so it doesn't bother me that much. I do miss it though!

Good luck on your path to registering. It's a wonderful and highly rewarding job.:D

alicia77
21-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm sure you will find me on this forum a lot too - I have soooo much to learn- such an informative site and you are all so lovely.
Thank you for all your replies x

LittleAcorns
22-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm sure you will find me on this forum a lot too - x
Jolly good :D :D :D X

geordiebunny
22-08-2009, 08:36 PM
This is the best place I feel that I have learned so much more from this site than from the course and childcare information service in our area. Some really good advice and people at the same point as you whilst registering normally.

Mollymop
22-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I dont; drive and it only hinders me if I want to take the children on a day trip out somewhere special. So don't worry about not driving, exercise is very good for the children:D

Contact your local council for dates of pre-reg meetings, courses. Tell them you want to become a childminder and they will point you in the right direction.

it usually takes about 6 months from start to finish..to register. x

rachybabe1981
24-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I am just about to start my pre reg training on the 1st September. I contacted NCMA and my local childrens centre. In our area the course fees are subsidised so I oly had to pay £100.
I dont drive either and neither does my partner. We are within walking distance from most things and failing that there are good bus links everywhere. I must admit I was a bit worried about not being able to drive but after hearing that a lot of you dont have access that makes me feel a lot better.
Good luck xxxx