PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please for our trip to London.

Toothfairy
20-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi all

I have no mindees next week and my guys have asked to go up to London for the day.
We only live about 45mins by train so we go up a few times a year.
I am now running out of ideas, we have done all the usual, museums, zoo, boat trip, attractions etc etc, so I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a cheap day out in London that was a bit unusual.

Any ideas welcome :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
20-08-2009, 10:14 AM
We wanted to go to london tomorrow by train. I love in cambrigeshire, its gonna cost us £103. return for a family of 5:eek:
We're going to the beach instead.
Hope you get some good idead posted.

The london Eye
Tower of London
Sure you've done these tho

LOOPYLISA
20-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Duck tour?

Its a boat and bus in one !

sweets
20-08-2009, 12:16 PM
if its a nice day why not just go to one of the parks, regents park is lovely and so is hyde, you can even go on one of the horse carriages that go round them. or covent garden and watch the street performers.

Bananabrain
20-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Coram's Fields. In Guilford Street,about ten mins walk from Euston Station.

Me and some other childminders took some mindees there. Fab place for children, loads of stuff to do:paddling pool,huge sand area with slides etc,adventure playground type thingy,animals,fab cafe,baby changing.

It's a brill place for children,my mindees loved it. When we were there they had a steel band.They have a 'guard' on the door and adults are only allowed in if they have a child with them,so no louts or winos!!

Definitely recommend it. Enjoy your time in London.

Toothfairy
20-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all your ideas :thumbsup:

Monkey1
20-08-2009, 04:05 PM
We wanted to go to london tomorrow by train. I love in cambrigeshire, its gonna cost us £103. return for a family of 5:eek:
We're going to the beach instead.
Hope you get some good idead posted.

The london Eye
Tower of London
Sure you've done these tho

Do you not have a family and friends railcard? I have just priced for 5 of us to go on a saturday for £31!!!!!!

zillervalley
20-08-2009, 04:14 PM
have a lovely day , long time since i was at london, going to wembly arena with the guides on 17th october

we priced the train from durham, 5 adults and 10 guides £900 then the tube cost

we have decided on a coach just had a prive £595

ziller

bluestar
20-08-2009, 04:45 PM
We went last week and although not cheap my kids enjoyed Ripleys believe it or not museam. Its in Picadilly so we also did Hamleys where I treated them to a toy each but just looking around kept them amused for over an hour!!
We then went to Covent Garden and Kensington Gardens where we went the Diana memorial play area which was great with a big pirate ship.

Tatjana
20-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Buckingham Palace...you could see the changing of the guard, kids will love it!

xx

fun house
20-08-2009, 09:44 PM
south west trains are doing a offer at weekends that a adult can go for £10 and a child for £5. Children under 5 are free. Can not do the offer bank holiday weekend

Minstrel
20-08-2009, 09:49 PM
they also do a 4 for 2 deal on tickets. Not very well publicised but if you ask when buying you get it.

Forum Widower
20-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you ever been to Pollock's Toy Museum? It's just off Tottenham Court Road - £5 per Adult, £2 per child. There are a lot of displays with Paper theatres and puppets which are really impressive but there are also toys from around the world from bygone years. The last time i went there we were allowed to play with modern replicas of the toys being displayed. Really depends how old your kids are as i think they'd need to be 5,6,7 years up to really appreciate what they are looking at but it certainly is good fun and a real eye opener for children who find it amazing at how basic toys used to be and also a trip down memory lane for parents.

Its not a huge museum so isnt an all day thing like the science museum and nat history museum can be but it'll take up a few hours in the afternoon.

London Aquarium, also good fun for the kiddies.
Again, kids' age dependent the Imperial War Museum is pretty cool and entrance is free although they do charge extra for special exhibits.
HMS Belfast - used to love going there with my Grandad. Kids go on free but it is expensive for Adults, about £10 each, but the kids will have great fun exploring the ship and attempting to shoot down imaginery German planes from one of the several gun turrets.
Battersea Park Children's Zoo

Blimey i sound like a tour guide!:laughing:

Check out the link below, there's some great ideas and some places you might not even know existed:

http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?age10plus=false&age6to9=true&age3to5=true&toddler=false&outdoors=true&indoors=true&county=Greater London

Good luck, hope you have a good day out - you don't live much further out than we do and we hardly ever go.

Toothfairy
21-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Some fab ideas :thumbsup:

The Juggler
25-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi all

I have no mindees next week and my guys have asked to go up to London for the day.
We only live about 45mins by train so we go up a few times a year.
I am now running out of ideas, we have done all the usual, museums, zoo, boat trip, attractions etc etc, so I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a cheap day out in London that was a bit unusual.

Any ideas welcome :thumbsup:

Not sure how old the children are but what about the outskirts, Hampton Court, Bushey Park. Bushey Park is free has large play area with toilets, an all important kiosk with tea, coffee, bacon rolls and ice-cream and lovely walks and wild deer who come really close.

Think you can get school group discount at Hampton Court too but no play stuff for kids.

Have you read the alternative day out book 'xxxllocks to Alton Towers' has some really unusual days out not sure which are in London area but things like the pencil factory, diggerworld (that's near you isn't it, in Kent?).

Take a look

melanieabigail2004
25-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I did the Original Tour open top bus on Friday with 3 kids. Got off and did the Natural History museum and spent the rest of the day hopping on and off at different sites. It included a free boat ride but did not have enough time. I used Tesco clubcard vouchers and it did not cost the earth

M