PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any mindees they want to give me???

It's a small world
20-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Sorry just want to have a moan really...Working in a hotel at the moment until I get some mindees..when I applied for the job was told would be working upto 3 days a week (not bad...and these days would include a weekend ie one day in week plus thur/fri or fri/sat or thur/sat...well rota this week is tue/wed/thur/fri/sat now been told got to work sun as well..... its evenings (apart from sat which is 2 till finish which could be midnight!!!) well don't put my sons to bed...whenn hubby comes in I go out...so annoyed then been told might have to wors bth ds's bdays.....really want some mindes so I can give up my job and be with my family. I know I should be grateful to have an income but so annoying when working more shifts than was originally told..

rant over soryy just needed to get that off my chest. Have tried everything to get children...walkoing round my estate posting adverts / adverts in my car/ websites/ passing cards around playgroups/ adverts in shops/ everything...will I ever get children.???

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Sorry just want to have a moan really...Working in a hotel at the moment until I get some mindees..when I applied for the job was told would be working upto 3 days a week (not bad...and these days would include a weekend ie one day in week plus thur/fri or fri/sat or thur/sat...well rota this week is tue/wed/thur/fri/sat now been told got to work sun as well..... its evenings (apart from sat which is 2 till finish which could be midnight!!!) well don't put my sons to bed...whenn hubby comes in I go out...so annoyed then been told might have to wors bth ds's bdays.....really want some mindes so I can give up my job and be with my family. I know I should be grateful to have an income but so annoying when working more shifts than was originally told..

rant over soryy just needed to get that off my chest. Have tried everything to get children...walkoing round my estate posting adverts / adverts in my car/ websites/ passing cards around playgroups/ adverts in shops/ everything...will I ever get children.???

Do you not have set hours in your contract ?

I worked these sort of hours to when my eldest were little - not fun but like you we needed the income.

You will get there with mindees - most people struggle to start with.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
20-08-2009, 07:08 AM
hang on in there Kerrie - it will happen. The time is good for people looking for childcare, once kids go back to school. Once the kids are back - as the head of the local schools if you can pass out some flyers in the playground or at the gate or even if you can do it via the school bags.

have you started to network with your local c/ms?
Keep your listing updated with FIS as well - do it every 2 weeks as it will keep your name near the top.

Be visable - get some t-shirts/hats/bags printed up saying you are a minder

keep trying hun

sweets
20-08-2009, 07:17 AM
know how you feel kerriie, i desparately need some more mindees! i am very fed up with it a the mo and have deceided to give it till christmas then re think my job situation. i have joined a network and become accredited but it hasn't made a difference! i have advertised in all the usual ways and had a couple of enquiries, one wouldn't fit in, and had a visit from one set of [arents last week who didn't get back to me. i am just about making ends meet, but i went to a shopping centre yedterday with friends and got very fed up because i couldn't buy anything!

helenlc
20-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Do keep going. I had no enquiries for months (and I mean MONTHS!) and then had 3 parents come in a week - 2 kids I took on but the other (2 siblings) I had to pass to a friend.

I used to read posts on here of people saying they had got more mindees and I would reply saying Congratulations!! But each time I would be more and more disappointed that I didnt have any!!

Do you know of a lcoal childminder drop in to you? Me and my friend attended when we were first registered but had no kids. Always worth getting to know the other minders - there is about 10 of us who regularly go to our one every week and we always pass on enquiries to one another if we cannot fit children in.

Otherwise, as the others have suggested, keep your details up to date on the FIS. Ask if you can put a poster up in some local pre-schools and schools. Put an ad on Gumtree and your local Netmums site.

Chin up.:D

PS I do believe that if you have signed a contract to say what hours you should be working, then you dont have to do any others. Give Acas a call - here is their website address:
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
They can give you advice on your contract and whether you should be doing these extra hours or not. I called them a few years ago when I had a dispute with my employer about holiday pay.

It's a small world
20-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your knid words .. As for my job I'm casual so but nothing in contract to say got to work 12hours etc... no set hours didn't even know I would have some weeks where no shifts..She went through everything and then said theres the contract everything we've said...but things obviously weren't made that clear...

I do enjoy it when I only work 3 evenings and made some good friends..but when I get shifts like this it seems unfair when one girl gets time off whenever she wants...anyway..just miss putting my boys to bed..sorry to moan.

I have joined a number of cm groups and playgroups...Im going to out cards in the local shop near school next week. making bigger signs for my car lol....I'm sure I'll get their in the end..just on a downer today..thanks for replying its nice to know someone is there to listen...dh keeps dsaying post adverts etc Ive done everything apart from hijack children what else can I do...I'm sure I'll cheer up later...the boys and I have the water tray out and cleaning the garden !!!! sun is shining...and Im better off than some people.

Thanks again...
Kx

Daddy Day Care
20-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Keery form the short time we spent togethe the other week, I could tell that ytou are a fantastic minder and im sure in a few months time you'll be writing on here saying that youve turned people away

Gareth
xx

ZoeAlli
20-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Hang on in there Kerrie! It is a good time for people looking for childcare! I agree with the advice about asking local schools if you can send note home in bag, might try that one myself as I have links with school already! (not sure they will though they can be a bit funny that way!!).
The minders in my area all say that they are full and have waiting lists whereas I do not! however up til now have always had the number I wanted.
Something will come up soon!
As far as hours with hotel go, check your contract and what you agreed to, a contract is an agreement between you both and if they want to change the hours you work they should give you notice!
Hope you get some mindees soon!

lhaycocks
20-08-2009, 09:19 AM
seems to be slow all over. I'm waiting as well and apart from illness cover and holiday specials - i dont have any regular mindees. Like you haven't been able to give up the day job because of it but keep getting told to hang on in there.

Keep smiling - it'll be like buses. None for ages and then they'll all come at once (I hope!!!)

It's a small world
20-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Well after moaning this morning..getting back on track as just had a delivery of a sign for my car (like the ones that state..child on board) it has KERRIES CHILDMINIDING/ MY PHONE NUMBER / VACANCIES / MY LOGO on it and very colourfull///going to get another one made with website on as wasn't enough room...so have them displayed in back window...very eye catching.hopefully will bring me some good luck.. off to do some colouring...I'm sure everything will work out just having a bad day...I know everyone has them....guess it just my turn today...and the rain has some out...so stuck in..so off to do some farm animal masks and colouring and singing...

Thanks again....

TheBTeam
20-08-2009, 12:43 PM
The waiting for first mindees is awful, i was so enthusiastic and ready to go when i started about 6 years ago! It took about 8 months to get any children and then I got 3 inside 10 days!

It has usually happened like that to, I get inundated with 2-3 new ones at a time then it quietens down again and the the same thing happens again, they seem to be like buses, none for ages and then loads all at once!

Hopefully with the schools going back and Christmas jobs starting soon it won't be long before you have some success.

Keep your chin up, I am sure it will soon be all okay, although i really understand how hard it is to stay motivate and not to appear desperate. I think when i first used to meet parents I must have appeared so anxious that it was sometimes offputting, when I relaxed (almost like doesn't matter if i don't get them) then it worked better!

Sue2000
20-08-2009, 02:06 PM
where do you live ?
i do have loads of phone called from mindees but i have no vacancies.
if you live in london let me know and i'll be of some help.

getting first mindee is difficult as many of mine come with recomendation.
but keep trying, advert yourself in libraries, car, windows, schools, supermarkets, CIS website and soon your vacancies will start silling up.

It's a small world
23-08-2009, 09:05 PM
where do you live ?
i do have loads of phone called from mindees but i have no vacancies.
if you live in london let me know and i'll be of some help.

getting first mindee is difficult as many of mine come with recomendation.
but keep trying, advert yourself in libraries, car, windows, schools, supermarkets, CIS website and soon your vacancies will start silling up.

Northamptonshire... but thank you for thinking of me...I'll get there in the end.

flossybeth
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Northamptonshire... but thank you for thinking of me...I'll get there in the end.

My health visitor has been really helpful in recommending me - which is good as people seem to trust her opinion over an advert in the Post Office, so maybe a word or a poster in your local surgery?

I registered last July (08) and have only had after schools and parents who didn't think it was necessary to pay me but over this summer things seem to have turned around completely and starting from next week I'm as full as I want to be.

Hang in there and tell everyone you meet you're registered.

Flossybeth

l122ie
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Is there a college near by. I have had a few from my local college, the college actual paid me rather than the parents - Hang in there. With the new term starting and christmas just around the corner lots of people will be re - evaluating there situation and realising they must go out to work. Wishing you luck Liz xx