PDA

View Full Version : am sorry, hoe dum?

Dippy bird
19-08-2009, 08:58 PM
ok, so, applied to ofsted - was asked for two refs,one from previous employer and a.n .other.Simple - I thought!!Worked for the same company or 22 years, so obviously put them down for a reference (also with my job title), just got letter today saying that they couldn't use the reference as it had nothing to do with children - I was an administrator which I had already told them!! Anyone else had the same problem?? bit mental I think! How many women/men go from doing a run of the mill job, to looking after children,and are expected to get references to see how good they are with kids??

uf353432
20-08-2009, 03:41 PM
My references were not from child care or children related things - maybe you should phone a query that is very very odd indeed!

LittleAcorns
20-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry but that seems a little unfair, my 2 were not child related...one I worked at NEXT!! the other was a charactor reference from my close friend also a childminder! with her being a professional she could do it!!! dont know what to suggest, very unfair!!

carebear25
20-08-2009, 03:46 PM
My last job was in admin 2, I got my feferences off my mumst best friend who has know me since birth an my best friend whos child i babysat 4 regular an that didnt seem 2 b a problem. I would appeal hun xx

Daddy Day Care
20-08-2009, 03:47 PM
My 2 were child related, they spacificly asked for 2 references of people who know what your around children.

I got another childminder I know, and the lady who runs the play group i go to to do mine, id only known both a year so maybe you could use someone like this.

This may be a fairly new thing as uf353432 and littleacrons didnt have it like this, ive only been registerd 2 months myself

Gareth
xx

eidted to add just realsied they havent been minding long either, sorry

MissTinkerbell
20-08-2009, 03:52 PM
I registered last year and mine had to be from someone who knew you around children (well one of them did but not both). I was lucky as I was an early years teacher so my head did mine and then my daughter's godmother who was also a head teacher and I had worked for her for 4 years.

Makes sense to be from someone who can comment on your suitability with children I suppose.

LeeAnn
20-08-2009, 04:13 PM
My HV did one for me and my friend who I have previously childminded for did the other. I think specifically one of them had to be from someone who knew what you were like around children, so my HV did that one for me

carlen222
20-08-2009, 04:50 PM
i have been out of work for a few years after having my kids so i didnt even have a work reference, both of mine were character references, one from a family friend that is a retired teacher and another family friend who owns a local shoe shop lol

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 05:45 PM
ok, so, applied to ofsted - was asked for two refs,one from previous employer and a.n .other.Simple - I thought!!Worked for the same company or 22 years, so obviously put them down for a reference (also with my job title), just got letter today saying that they couldn't use the reference as it had nothing to do with children - I was an administrator which I had already told them!! Anyone else had the same problem?? bit mental I think! How many women/men go from doing a run of the mill job, to looking after children,and are expected to get references to see how good they are with kids??

Rubbish my hubby registered and he used his present work and he works in a paint factory!!!!!! not really child related his other one was one of my parents though. but he has no children of our own and his only child care experience is second hand through my work

having read other replies I have edited this
Wonder if this has come in with the EYFS

cher25
20-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I can't remember if i was told it had to be child related references or not. But both of my references were from friends i used to babysit for in scotland.

Try that if you have had experience of children that way.

Dippy bird
21-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all your replies - I guess bringing up 4 children counts for nothing either. I have found another referee so hopefully there won't be any more problems. But no doubt there will be - after all, it is Ofsted we are dealing with....

buildingblocks
22-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all your replies - I guess bringing up 4 children counts for nothing either. I have found another referee so hopefully there won't be any more problems. But no doubt there will be - after all, it is Ofsted we are dealing with....

And there the madness lies

you have brought up four children

hubby and I have no children although I had a little bit of experience (20 years lol)

Both should count for something

Tatjana
22-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I hadn't worked in 5 years being a sahm, so I asked 2 friends for references, there wasn't any problems with this. I have known both for over 20 years.

xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
22-08-2009, 07:46 PM
hi, i had to give 3 references, one from an employee (lucky for me my last job was cleaning a nursery) and 2 references from friends that have seen me with children, as i have a 2 yr old and 3yr old they based their referneces around me with my children and ofsted excepted these.

Dippy bird
22-08-2009, 07:56 PM
well, had yet another letter from ofsted this morning with things that I had to do - get a fire guard- which I had pointed out to the inspector that I was going to do and also move two things out of my garden, which I also had pointed out to the inspector!! Now, I have to do these things within a week and then get inspected again!! FTLOG!! I told HER that I needed to do these things - she didn't tell me - wish I had kept my flippin mouth shut now!!I am sure this is only the beginning of my nightmare!