PDA

View Full Version : deadline for visiting parents

Blackhorse
19-08-2009, 08:52 PM
do you give parents that come round for a visit to see your setting a deadline by when you need to hear from them?
If so how long?

The reason I am asking is that I had a couple round on friday. They seemed interested but I have learned that that doesnt mean anything..
anyways..they said they would let me know on tuesday (yesterday)
I still havent heard from them and I am just wondering if I should have said if I dont hear back from you by..such and such a date..then the place will not be open for you..or something like that.
But as I am unexperienced and they seemed to mean it (:rolleyes: ) that they will let me know on tuesday I didnt say anything about it.
I also didnt want to sound like I dont belive them..or something,.

how do you all do it?

peanuts
19-08-2009, 08:55 PM
phone and ask if still interested as date passed they were to tell you. if place available and 2 people came to see you the first to sign would get the place.

miffy
19-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I usually ask parents if they have other childminders or nurseries to visit to get an idea of how long their search is likely to take them and ask them to let me know when they've made up their mind.

I always say I can't hold a place for them but if I get another enquiry I will let them know and then they have to make their mind up.

If you haven't heard from the parent by the end of the week then give her a ring

Miffy xx

TheBTeam
19-08-2009, 08:59 PM
In the early days, i used to virtually sit by the phone for the minute that they said they would let me know by:laughing: Even those ones that assured me they would let me know, I often did not hear anything, from experience i have learnt that i need to be more relaxed about it, I know no longer phone to chase (either whether they want me or why they didn't turn up!).

I have found from mine and friends experience that even if you chase them it doesn't help, so i think you would probably shoot yourself in the foot to try and put a time frame on it, if you try to pigeonhole them they may genuinely be put off by being pressured or have a genuine reason for taking longer and feel that you would not then be interested. I have had some take a couple of weeks at least longer than they said they would to phone, for a variety of reasons.

It is really hard, but i think you will find it easier to accept that if they want you then they will contact you in their own time, if you are pressured for places you could always say that you will contact them if there is interest that may put the offer of a place to them in jeopardy, in which case you have advised them that until things are formalised your place remains available to anybody else if they come along first.

Blackhorse
19-08-2009, 09:07 PM
yes BTeam that is me..
I am trying not to be surgically attached to the phone when parents say they will ring...but it is very hard...
my one and only mindee so far is only temporary and hasnt even started yet and I really need to work.
So in a way I am desperate which of course I dont want parents to know.
but it also bugs me that if they say they will phone they dont. Now maybe they have good reasons why they dont know..but then I would expect a call to say..sorry we dont know yet but since we said we would call you on tuesday we just thought we should ring to let you know. that is how I was brought up to behave and also that is how I had to work in my previous jobs. If you say you will do something you will do it, if you cant you will let people know that you cant so they know and can work around it.
but I also know that in reality it doesnt work that way ....but I still havent found a way for me to deal with it either
I know what you mean about phoning them back too...if they dont want you phoning them back wont do anything..but at least I WOULD KNOW...and have peace of mind..or whatever you want to call it...:)
If I had lots of mindees and wasnt desperate for work I guess it would only bother my half as much....arghh..

thanks for all your replies...I am sure you have all gone through this at some point...

Tatjana
19-08-2009, 09:08 PM
In the early days, i used to virtually sit by the phone for the minute that they said they would let me know by:laughing: Even those ones that assured me they would let me know, I often did not hear anything, from experience i have learnt that i need to be more relaxed about it, I know no longer phone to chase (either whether they want me or why they didn't turn up!).

I have found from mine and friends experience that even if you chase them it doesn't help, so i think you would probably shoot yourself in the foot to try and put a time frame on it, if you try to pigeonhole them they may genuinely be put off by being pressured or have a genuine reason for taking longer and feel that you would not then be interested. I have had some take a couple of weeks at least longer than they said they would to phone, for a variety of reasons.

It is really hard, but i think you will find it easier to accept that if they want you then they will contact you in their own time, if you are pressured for places you could always say that you will contact them if there is interest that may put the offer of a place to them in jeopardy, in which case you have advised them that until things are formalised your place remains available to anybody else if they come along first.

I agree with this, if they want you they will contact you...in their own time!

xx

Pipsqueak
19-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Like Miffy I do try to gauge by asking if they are visiting others etc and implying/stress that there might be others interested in the vacancy and that I cannot hold the space indefinately, especially if they don't get back to me!

I don't sit around waiting, nor do I chase it up anymore though.

miffy
19-08-2009, 09:12 PM
There's another side to the coin - the parents who want you but forget to tell you (maybe they think you can read their minds :rolleyes: ) I've had that happen more than once.

There might be a good reason why they've not got back to you - illness or something.

Hope they get in touch soon

Miffy xx

Shirlwith3
20-08-2009, 05:28 AM
I know what you mean
I had a couple come to see me 2 weeks ago have not got back to me with an answer, sound really keen to have the place when they phoned, but since then I have recieved a call from a mum wanting care starting in Sept where the other is not till DEc/Jan time, as I have not heard from them I have taken it that they don't want me as it has been 2 wks.
I have had so many say "yes we will call you soon with an answer" but never to call back so now I give them 2 weeks. I had a couple come to see me the day after this other mums come & they liked me so much that they signed there & then. So if the parents are happy with you & what you offer they will let you know asap.

shirl

angeldelight
20-08-2009, 06:52 AM
I know what you mean it can be a pain

I usually say hope to hear from you by the end of the week - and hope that they take the hint ha ha

3 years ago I had parents come to see me that said they would get back to me but never did then 3mths down the line they called me out of the blue and said they had loved my setting and could their daughter start - she is still coming to me ha ha

Some parents look mths in advance for somewhere and dont think to let you know but it can be annoying for us

Hope they do contact you if not maybe you could give them a call

Angel xx

Twinkles
20-08-2009, 07:16 AM
I usually let them know I've got someone else coming to see me and the places go quite quickly ( which they do ).

Last year I had a couple come to see me and heard nothing for two weeks , then they called and said they'd like lo to come to me and when could he start and I had to tell them the place had already gone - it went the day after their visit !

I would just wait - not contact them and if another comes along go with whoever signs first.

jessie1
20-08-2009, 07:48 AM
My first contract for the 13 month old, mom said there and then that she wanted to sign but asked if she could come on another day as she had other things to do as well. She came back and signed and paid deposit.

My before&after schooler mom came alone on a friday said how much her daughter would love it here and that she will call me Sat or latest by monday to arrange for daughter to come and see me.

By then I had another mom sign up that also came to see me straight after her but for my under 5's. By the Tuesday I still havent heard from her so emailed her instead just confirming if she still wanted to bring her daughter or if not all the best. She replied "she was so busy and sorry not too let me know sooner but went with someone nearer to home". THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW:angry: so left it.

2 days later she called me back and asked if the place are still free as she would like to use me instead and then told me that other childminder was cheaper. and hinted loads before signing contract about cheaper rates. (you came back so you will pay me my rates). I did end up throwing breakfast in for free though as I really really want to pick up from the school her daughter is at and I can always give her notice as she uses me 3 days only and she will not pay me the extra from 7:30 as I start at 8am.

ZoeAlli
20-08-2009, 08:25 AM
I usually ask parents if they have other childminders or nurseries to visit to get an idea of how long their search is likely to take them and ask them to let me know when they've made up their mind.

I always say I can't hold a place for them but if I get another enquiry I will let them know and then they have to make their mind up.

If you haven't heard from the parent by the end of the week then give her a ring

Miffy xx

I think this is good advice! Think I'll try it next time!!!