PDA

View Full Version : New Assistant

liz252
19-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I have recently registered an assistant so thought I'd share with you all what we've been through ...

- 1st we filled out an EY2 form. We also enclosed a character reference letter with it just because we could. Within days Ofsted sent her a form to fill out so she could be CRB checked.

- Her CRB check came back absolutely fine (took about 6 weeks)

- A letter came through from Ofsted to her & me saying she was a suitable candidate for being my assistant.

- She took an Early Years first aid course & passed.

- I wrote to Ofsted enclosing copies of her CRB check, letter of suitability & first aid certificate requesting we be allowed to change our numbers of children. I also stated I felt we had a big enough house & garden to give a safe, secure & happy environment to more children & we were looking forward to working together etc. etc.

- Ofsted phoned & talked me through what they were intending. They have allowed us to have 7 children under 5 (she implied she would go up to 8 but I decided 7 would be enough!). She said that with parents permission they could be left in sole charge of my assistant for short periods of time such as school drops offs. She told me it was different for the over 5's but I only have 2 over 5's so am not bothered anyway.

- I phoned NCMA & was told I need Employers Liability, so I bought that for a further £5 per year - bargain!

- We have decided she is self-employed so will invoice me the hours she's worked at the end of the month, I will then pay her £X per hour.

So, all sorted - just need more kiddies now!!! :clapping:

Assuming we get up to full capacity, it will be financially worthwhile as even with our own kids I will be earning more than I pay her per hour. I will also put what I pay her through the books as I'm sub-contracting out work & dont wish to pay tax on it. Apart from the extra kids I'm looking forward to having an extra pair of hands to help and am intending to do paperwork in the afternoons when half of them are asleep & she can have quiet time/reading time with those who are awake. This will leave me my evenings free!

Incidentally, whilst on her first aid course another assistant was talking about the ICP course but I have spoken to various people these past weeks & no-one has ever mentioned it. I get the impression it would look favourable if she did it, but it is not compulsory. Personally I think first aid is more important, and may also suggest she does local safeguarding but I dont believe the ICP to be necessary.

Anyone looking for an assistant, good luck, it seems time consuming at times but we got there in the end - fingers crossed we get some more enquiries now!

Liz x

p.s sorry for the long post!

TheBTeam
19-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Interesting that they let you have 7 under 5, when two full minders working together are generally only allowed 6, ie the total of their two individual numbers!

Good luck working together, hope your spaces fill up soon.

butterfly
21-08-2009, 01:46 PM
has anyone else have their numbers doubled to 6 with an assistant?

rickysmiths
21-08-2009, 01:52 PM
It all sounds fab. Be aware though that if she works more than 15hrs or earns more than £95 pw it is not an option to be self employed as an assistant. The Inland Rev will expect you to Employ her and pay the employers tax and NI and produce a pay slip.

Also if you go over your statutory number of 6 under 5s you will probably need to apply for planning permission from your local authority which can cost several hundred pounds.

I was going to work with a full time assistant starting this August but it was going to cost more than one childs weekly fees and I didn't feel it was worth it for me.

liz252
26-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Oops, I got it slightly wrong :blush: - having received my certificate they've allowed 7 under 8, not 7 under 5, I obviously wasn't listening properly! She has allowed the special dispensation for siblings on 2 days which I had already though. That makes sense on the ratios too, so sorry for anyone's hopes I built up.

Still really pleased with it all though. Got our 1st new mindee starting in 3 weeks :)

Thanks rickysmiths for the advice above, I'll definitely keep that in mind - so much to remember sometimes!

Liz x

loocyloo
27-08-2009, 08:08 AM
when my assistant is working with me we are allowed 6 under 5's, (and with my variation, 7 under 5!) and 6 5-8's, as long as the total of children isn't over 12 !!!!

it never is! i only use my assistant when i am going to be one or 2 children over my 6 under 8 !!! BUT, she has 2 children of her own, which bump the numbers up!

x

Pauline
27-08-2009, 09:27 PM
has anyone else have their numbers doubled to 6 with an assistant?

Yes we can have 6 under 5's
8 under 8's
2 under 1