PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I am not doing enough?

Adiamond
19-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi, I look after 2 mindees one of them is 17 months old and is with me 8-1 mon-fri and the other one is 16 months old and is with me 6.30am - 8.00pm 2 days a week (both are girls)
So my normal routine when I have them both k arrives in pj's has brekkie ges dressed before m arrives.
M has big dramas every day when mum leaves so takes me a while to calm her down, played outside on these lovely days,10am snack time ,I try to get out in the morning but doesn't always happen with one thing and another ( I have 2 children 7 and 14) but we are usually back by 11ish if we do get out, I have tried doing planned activities but neither can sit still for more than 2 minutes :(
so they pretty much have free play all the time other than the water or messy play :)
Then it is lunch time and then home time for m and sleep time for k.

I feel as though they have just been here not particulary doing anything other than playing :(
What else can I do if they just want to play???
I am getting a bit deflated by it all at the minute I just needed to have a moan :)
Thanks for listening x x x

Gizmo
19-08-2009, 08:14 PM
As long as they are happy, time will come when they want to do the planned stuff, my mindee is 2 1/2 and all she wants to do is push a doll up and down in a buggy.
I had an after school today along with my 2 dds and it was great we played games, sang and made plate faces all these things I had planned and they happened finally :clapping:

sweets
19-08-2009, 08:19 PM
you say that you feel they are not doing anything but playing! whats wrong with that, all they should be doing is playing! lol. at that age there are not many organised activites that you can do with them. it sounds perfect to me what you are doing, free play and messy play and trips out alongside of their routine. they are still babies:)

Adiamond
19-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Awww thank you, I know that they are happy playing but when mums ask what they have been doing I feel awful when I just say playing!!!!!!! x x x

sweets
19-08-2009, 08:30 PM
make a point of telling mums what they have been playing with and what they have enjoyed, i bet they have some funny moments and do silly things which most do at that age! tell mum about those:laughing:

Zoomie
19-08-2009, 08:33 PM
my dd is 21.5 months and mindee is just over 2y, and they mostly play play and play.

when i tell mum abt our day, i list the different play things mindee did, anything that was funny / cute. i try once a week to do something on the lines of arts and craft (bit of paint, or sticking or something), and then perhaps once a fortnight, we make something in the kitchen. both mindees just love to hold the mixer ... and we get yummy fairy cakes after :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Mouse
19-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Have you tried singing/music with them?

I look after a 10 month old who loves our singing sessions. He holds an instrument, waves it around & the rest of us sing nursery rhymes. He loves it & I can tell mum he joins in with the singing session, even though she knows he doesn't actually sing! Sometimes it's only a couple of minutes for rhyme or 2, but it's something a bit different.

You say you don't want to tell mums the little ones have just been playing, so tell them what they have been playing with, what they've particularly enjoyed, if they've interacted with each other etc. Play is so important, so don't think of it as 'just' play.There's so much more to it that you can comment on.

Rach30
19-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Sounds like your doing eveything exactly right to me ! :thumbsup: I know what you mean that you feel like you should be planning somethong but i honestly reckon you've got it spot on. Yeah why not tell the parents about some of the toys they have been playing with and how much they have enjoyed it :)

sarah707
19-08-2009, 08:36 PM
They are sharing and taking turns and learning to play cooperatively.

They are communicating with each other and accessing a range of mark making materials and books etc during their play

They are using their imaginations as they set up different play scenarios

They are accessing a range of resources independently to enhance their creativity

They are exploring nature and the natural world during outside play and learning about the seasons and weather

They are solving problems for themselves as they build a tent for dolly or share out the tea set for a party

They are engaging in physical activities as they climb the slide, push their buggies and make sand castles

Your job at their age is to resource their environment so they can play... I think you are already doing that! :D

Adiamond
19-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone :D I think I probably already knew all this but just needed you fantastic people to reassure me!!!!! :) :) x x x

pinklady
20-08-2009, 02:10 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
They are sharing and taking turns and learning to play cooperatively.

They are communicating with each other and accessing a range of mark making materials and books etc during their play

They are using their imaginations as they set up different play scenarios

They are accessing a range of resources independently to enhance their creativity

They are exploring nature and the natural world during outside play and learning about the seasons and weather

They are solving problems for themselves as they build a tent for dolly or share out the tea set for a party

They are engaging in physical activities as they climb the slide, push their buggies and make sand castles

Your job at their age is to resource their environment so they can play... I think you are already doing that! :D

carebear25
20-08-2009, 02:26 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

It took me a while to realise this as well and tried doing things that only hold their interest for 5 mins.

mine play most of day, read books, do music time. Im amazed at my mindee (21mths) she sings along now 2 songs misses a few words out but then picks it up again.

You are doin a great job :clapping: :clapping: